Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Post by terrybritton »

David Polich wrote:Samples of an additive synth like the K5000 - worthless. They're just static snapshots. A real additiive synth is two things - digital, and number two, the partials are always interacting and resonanting differently at different times, because it's a "living" synth, not a "photograph" of a synth.
Could not agree more, David! That is the "extreme irony" of putting something like the K5000s into a ROMpler!!
David Polich wrote:AIR Instruments Loom is a pretty good additive synth, and I believe it's on sale at the moment. There are
many other virtual additive synths out there - just search for them on the web.
Loom is a terrific item - one of the best things out there, and worth the price of the upgrade to the entire AIEP3 package alone (often found on sale). A very versatile and powerful implementation of additive synthesis. And now anyone using one of the Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards can have the factory presets and a pretty well laid-out bunch of knob label sets from Jason in Australia. I use several of his packs.

I have to wonder whether sample-playing, ROMpler-style "vintage synth" packages are ever worth the time. I wish UVI allowed a demo of the SynthAnthology 2 stuff.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Post by David Polich »

UVI have done some things right. The UVI
Workstation itself is good..laid out nicely, intuitive,
easy to use, sounds good. I have their "Mello"
which is really good..then again, its based on
samples of the first sample playback machine
anyway.

I cant fault the sound of their products or their
sampling team. Its a personal objection I
have to sampling synthesizer sounds..it just
never sounds good to me, too static. And the
amount of memory it takes up is way too much,
compatrd to a virtual synth which uses very little
memory because it doesn't need much memory.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com