Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Synth-Anthology from UVI.

$150 Unimpressive sounding to me in the video and not the way I use my synths, so they get a pass - , but it does have a lot of other axes in there (check the link) not the least of which is the Ensoniq SQ and ESQ boards, yet another Wavestation, DX-7 and DX-100 (you listening TerryBritton?). Very tempting... alas, no Juno-106, but I have a VI version of that. I could use a VI of the Emu Morpheus, butt eye digress...

Anyway, looks like I'm dropping some coin on this one. I just wish I could see the interface for the other synths and hear how the vintage ones I had sound. We'll find out soon enough, or at least, I will.

:unicorn: :brucelee: :deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Synth-Anthology : Shimnth-anology ---->>>> ;)

Post by terrybritton »

I'm checking it out, but I do HAVE the Korg Legacy collection, and the SR and original WS, and a real ESQm, and two real TX81Z's, so they are going to have to wow me in the convenience dept. like Korg Legacy did!

Anyway... I'm looking but told myself to hide my wallet somewhere I will not be able to find it. I've approached the "too many options" level here!!! :mrgreen:

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I totally hear that! I don't use 90% of the crap on the system, but when I needs it, I needs it and I don't have any convincing Ensoniq, Emu, or DX emulations. I do miss the SQ-80 in particular.

Then again, it doesn't look like a sale or anything like that so maybe I'll wait a bit and see if there are user comments anywhere.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Here's the problem - it's samples of analog and digital synths. That always sounds like dead bodies laid end to end no matter how good the filters are.

At the least, to reproduce analog and digital vintage synth tones, you need an honest-to-goodness
virtual analog or virtual digital synth engine to do it. Or spend the big bucks and get a real analog synth like Sequential's Prophet 6, DSI's OB-6, Moog's Sub 37 (their new Minimoog D is too expensive) Arturia's Matrix Brute, or the Korg Minilogue or Korg ARP Odyssey.. For a real honest-to-goodness FM "DX" synth, Yamaha's Reface DX is fantastic and only $400 (although it has mini-keys), or get the Yamaha Montage with a full-blown next-generation FM-X engine.

My recommendations for the great vintage synths of yesteryear in "virtual" form are any of the G-force synths (Minimonsta, Oddity, etc.), Arturia's Oberheim SEM V and Matrix-12 V synths and Synclavier V synth, and RolandCloud's Jupiter 8, SH-101, System 100, and Juno 106. For vintage keyboard instruments, get GSI's VB3 for Hammond B3, Spectrasonics Keyscape and SonicCouture's Broken Wurli and Deconstructed 73 for Rhodes, Wurlies, CP-80 electric grands, electric harpsichords, etc.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

David Polich wrote:Here's the problem - it's samples of analog and digital synths. That always sounds like dead bodies laid end to end no matter how good the filters are.

At the least, to reproduce analog and digital vintage synth tones, you need an honest-to-goodness
virtual analog or virtual digital synth engine to do it. Or spend the big bucks and get a real analog synth like Sequential's Prophet 6, DSI's OB-6, Moog's Sub 37 (their new Minimoog D is too expensive) Arturia's Matrix Brute, or the Korg Minilogue or Korg ARP Odyssey.. For a real honest-to-goodness FM "DX" synth, Yamaha's Reface DX is fantastic and only $400 (although it has mini-keys), or get the Yamaha Montage with a full-blown next-generation FM-X engine.

My recommendations for the great vintage synths of yesteryear in "virtual" form are any of the G-force synths (Minimonsta, Oddity, etc.), Arturia's Oberheim SEM V and Matrix-12 V synths and Synclavier V synth, and RolandCloud's Jupiter 8, SH-101, System 100, and Juno 106. For vintage keyboard instruments, get GSI's VB3 for Hammond B3, Spectrasonics Keyscape and SonicCouture's Broken Wurli and Deconstructed 73 for Rhodes, Wurlies, CP-80 electric grands, electric harpsichords, etc.
"Virtually" speaking, I have the Arturia items you mention (well, the whole V5 collection), and indeed those you listed are the standouts. The big Modular V Moog emulation was pretty good, too. I've been messing with the RolandCloud stuff also, which is very impressive, and just two weeks ago finally gave GSI's VB3 a spin and was quite impressed.

I could throw in Xils-Labs' stuff as recommendations, too. I have their PolyKB III and the Xils-4. (The EMS VCS-3 "Putney" was what I cut my synthesizer teeth on in the early seventies, if you don't count my circuit-bending my Farfisa Mini Compact organ!) I've heard that they have other good emulations, but haven't heard those. I do have their "Oxium" synth as well and it is very unique and creamy sounding - a not-heard-of-much gem. Xavier actually worked on the big Modular V Moog emulation for Arturia before branching off on his own.

Thanks for the other mentions - I should look those over! The Arturia Matrix Brute is likely my next "big purchase" synth, but we'll see what comes around by the time I'm ready to drop that much cash!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Few soft synths really sound and feel like the real thing to me but the few that IMO do are U-he's synths like Diva,Zebra/Dark Zebra,Repro 1 & Bazille(yeah I've turned into a U-he fan boy!).
Also the Waldorf Largo, XIL Labs Poly KB3,XILS 4 and Arturia's Synclavier are really nice soft synths.

On the other hand inexpensive quirky Kontakt based synths from Hideaway Studios like The Blue Zone,Chromatix and the Orbitone Collection really knock me out,Dan Wilson is brilliant!!

For me when I see promotions for UVI sample based synth bundles and most Kontakt based synths I usually will not even bother checking them out anymore.

FWIW the UVI synth I really like is the UVS-3200. :dance:
Last edited by kgdrum on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

As long as we're listing synths and their virtual cousins here, I just received notice from Electronic Musician that someone has released a Live/Kontakt/Logic collection of sounds from my beloved Kawai K5000s. (Yes, I did not mention that one earlier - it is so exotic few people know about it!) Here is the article - the pack is only $8 right now. Have not tried it yet.

http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/pure ... ynth/62558

Has some old demos of the actual K5000s playing as videos embedded in the article, too.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I have good times with Waldorf Blofeld-49keys synth. Specially when looking for atmospheric, ambiant or pad sounds.
But when I'm looking for modern electronic, somewhat harsh, sounds, Novation synths are my go-to. I often play both Utranova and Mininova on live rig. IMHO, they are thick sounding, and easy to tweak with the provided Audio Unit utility.

BTW, next novation synth module, named Peak, may be a killer. It's half analog half digital, and should come mid-june.
And next Waldorf big synth, named Quantum, may be another killer. It's 61 keys, half analog half digital, touch-screen, and may hit the street in December. Merry Christmas...
Last edited by daniel.sneed on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... alas, no Juno-106, but I have a VI version of that.
You do? What is it? I've been wanting a VI of that synth.. hope it's as fat and juicy as the real thing.

I like Juno 60's too, while I'm on the subject.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... alas, no Juno-106, but I have a VI version of that.
You do? What is it? I've been wanting a VI of that synth.. hope it's as fat and juicy as the real thing.

Direct from the makers themselves at http://rolandcloud.com -- every vintage synth they offer is quite nice. Haven't explored the newer ones deeply yet.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments/legendary

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

terrybritton wrote: someone has released a Live/Kontakt/Logic collection of sounds from my beloved Kawai K5000s.
Interesting! K5000s must be coming back into fashion, as UVI has just released Digital Synsations 2, which features:

Ensoniq Fizmo
Kawai K5000s
Roland JD-800/JD-990

https://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/d ... vol-2.html

Cute trailer showing young people playing with those beautiful antiques.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

David Polich wrote:
My recommendations for the great vintage synths of yesteryear in "virtual" form are any of the G-force synths (Minimonsta, Oddity, etc.), Arturia's Oberheim SEM V and Matrix-12 V
Arturia's Oberheim simulations are real gems.

For that Oberheim sound I also like OP-X Pro II from sonic projects.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/description.html

Mac and Windows demo download here:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/freedemo.html

-
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

terrybritton wrote:
Killahurts wrote:You do? What is it? I've been wanting a VI of that synth.. hope it's as fat and juicy as the real thing.

Direct from the makers themselves at http://rolandcloud.com -- every vintage synth they offer is quite nice. Haven't explored the newer ones deeply yet.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/instruments/legendary

Terry
Sigh.... monthly subscription.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

emulatorloo wrote:
terrybritton wrote: someone has released a Live/Kontakt/Logic collection of sounds from my beloved Kawai K5000s.
Interesting! K5000s must be coming back into fashion, as UVI has just released Digital Synsations 2, which features:

Ensoniq Fizmo
Kawai K5000s
Roland JD-800/JD-990

https://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/d ... vol-2.html

Cute trailer showing young people playing with those beautiful antiques.
It somewhat amuses me the extreme irony of putting those anti-rompler synths' sounds into a rompler! :lol:

Definitely not enough knobs for me. Glad I have my K5000s! :wink:

My musical partner in the nineties bought herself a Fizmo soon after she bought ME my K5000s (yes, nice friend!), and she admitted the Fizmo was a bear to program beyond the top-panel controls it came with, whose options got old pretty quickly. So, likely with the Fizmo this UVI offering is the better way to go for those sounds.

Heck, I may go for it though!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Samples of an additive synth like the K5000 - worthless. They're just static snapshots. A real additiive synth is two things - digital, and number two, the partials are always interacting and resonanting differently at different times, because it's a "living" synth, not a "photograph" of a synth.

AIR Instruments Loom is a pretty good additive synth, and I believe it's on sale at the moment. There are
many other virtual additive synths out there - just search for them on the web.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com