DP5 on multiple partitions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
24i/o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP5 on multiple partitions

Post by 24i/o »

Hi all! 1st post here.

I have owned DP5 leagly for more than 10 years now and I want to add it to a new hard drive (partition) on my 1st gen Mac Pro. The drive that it's on now is almost full and I can't locate my original install disc for DP5. I was wondering if there is a way to copy it over to a new partition on the same computer with out running into legality issues. Or if MOTU has it to down load if I can show proof of ownership.

Thanks for any help
Raymond
buzzsmith

Re: DP5 on multiple partitions

Post by buzzsmith »

I have to ask...why are you still with DP 5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Or, if I'm understanding correctly.

Why not get a second drive and move a bunch (a really BIG bunch) of files over to the new drive and leave DP where it is?

Hopefully, all of your work over the past 7-8 years is not just on one drive.

Respectfully,

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

To answer your question, Updaters are available at motu.com but the basic install for DP 5 is not.

You need the DP 5 CD to do the initial install and to authorize your copy. If you no longer have it and are registered, give MOTU a call and see if they will send you a replacement disk.

If your CD was earlier than 5.1, it will not install after OS 10.6.8 with Rosetta enabled (w/out Rosetta, it doesn't work after OS 10.5.x). A 5.1x CD will install through 10.7, IIRC. The older CD can still authorize even if the installer will not run.

DP 5.13 still worked on my system through Yosemite even though it would no longer install. After a Time Machine restore, the installation was still good but I needed my original CD to authorize ( kept it there just to see if it would still work).

Code: Select all

Why not get a second drive and move a bunch (a really BIG bunch) of files over to the new drive and leave DP where it is?
My thought, too, unless you are replacing the drive. You can use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to port the installation to a new drive but, without that CD, it will not authorize.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
24i/o

Post by 24i/o »

Thanks for the replies buzz and mike!

I do save my DP files and Bounce to Disc files in there own partitions that have lots of room, it's the OS partition that has all the programs and 10.4 Tiger installed on it that is very full.
I had another partition with Windows XP on this machine (2006 Mac Pro) that was getting no use so I decided to format it and install my original OS (10.4 Tiger) on it and I want to install DP5 as well. It's a 250 gig partition, money is tight atm so I'll have to use the system I have paid for until things change, Ive got a 2016 Macbook Pro but it's sort-of set up for video editing with Final Cut and a basic Resident Audio 2-bus interface where as my old Mac Pro is a full blown audio workstation with MOTU (24i & 24i/o) interfaces and such.
Think I'll give Mikes advice a try, maybe MOTU wont rape me to bad for a replacement install disc. I also have another drive with Snow Lepard 10.6.8 in this machine, I was smarter with this drive and gave the OS partition a lot more space so if I ever get a recording/editing suite for that drive it will have more longevity.
24i/o

Post by 24i/o »

Just to let everyone know I did contact MOTU, talked to Dave Roberts and he is sending me a new disc! Painless and quick!

This is some of the best service I've ever gotten anywhere with anything!

I will go back to MOTU with any other needs I have in the future. Always got good service from these guys in the past and I can see things are still the same! :D

MOYU Rocks! :headbang:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

24i/o wrote:Just to let everyone know I did contact MOTU, talked to Dave Roberts and he is sending me a new disc! Painless and quick!

This is some of the best service I've ever gotten anywhere with anything!

I will go back to MOTU with any other needs I have in the future. Always got good service from these guys in the past and I can see things are still the same! :D

MOYU Rocks! :headbang:
Cool! 5.13 was a watershed version for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro