Mixing and veiwing soundbite question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zandurian »

A lot of times while mixing I need to edit the soundbite I'm listening to on a particular mixer channel. Is there a way to jump directly from a channel of the mixer to the associated soundbite in the graphic sequence editor?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Not sure how you'd do it. In a way, SOUNDBITES are associated with TRACKS which are associated with MIXER CHANNELS. I do not believe mixer channels are selectable so that clicking one would then cause the SE to jump to that TRACK if let's say you were working in the Consolidated Window. You may have to keep your SE window or Track Overview open when mixing. Not sure. Not in front of DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Mixing and veiwing soundbite question

Post by James Steele »

I see you got an answer to this question in another topic.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

James Steele wrote:I see you got an answer to this question in another topic.
He answered concerning going from tracks to mixer. I realized I needed to focus in on my specific need of going straight from a mixing track to edit or view the soundfile I'm mixing. Just like the pop down menu at the bottom of each mixer channel lets you pick input and output etc. for that specific channel, I would love to see a "view soundfile" option. Or even hold a key down and just click the channel.

Channels are select-able for things like grouping and choosing outputs so I see no software reason prohibiting a direct jump to graphic soundbite editor of whatever is on any mixer channel that is playing audio.

The explanation is, with budgets shrinking I fly through sessions pretty fast and I end up hearing more things that need editing during mixing, sometimes things that were easy to miss until they were in their proper place in the mix - maybe just wanting to move a bass note to hit tighter with a kick or something. Always looking for ways to work more efficiently since I'm a perfectionist and am not the most tidy keeper of multiple takes and alternate musical ideas within a single song resulting in large track counts. Sometimes my track list cannot be viewed on one page so I would love not to have to scroll around looking for that kick drum channel of the fourth take and so on.

I realize at the end I could hide all unused tracks from the tracks window and things like that but still, at least for my worl flow, this would be a nifty feature.

Since no-one hardly is chiming in I'll assume it's just a quirky way my brain works and there is no demonstrative demand for the feature.

You agree?
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Not of much help, but here are my two cents.
If you ever find a way to jump from mixer track to something else, that want be to a soundfile.
For there may be many soundfiles over there, and many soundbites laying in a single track...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

daniel.sneed wrote:Not of much help, but here are my two cents.
If you ever find a way to jump from mixer track to something else, that want be to a soundfile.
For there may be many soundfiles over there, and many soundbites laying in a single track...
I would want to see the one currently playing - where ever the transport is at the time.