DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by waxman »

amplidood wrote:Well whaddya know. I did the complete reinstall again for 9.13 (got rid of all MOTU system files) and all the issues I was having from 9.1-9.12 are gone. No more audio dropouts when editing audio, and the pitch editor responds normally to mouse clicks again.

I am happy.

And WHOOOOOOA there's no dropout when opening plugins with Pre-Gen on. Way to go MOTU, you got some things figured out over there!!
What steps did you do to get rid of MOTU system files?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

waxman wrote:
amplidood wrote:Well whaddya know. I did the complete reinstall again for 9.13 (got rid of all MOTU system files) and all the issues I was having from 9.1-9.12 are gone. No more audio dropouts when editing audio, and the pitch editor responds normally to mouse clicks again.

I am happy.

And WHOOOOOOA there's no dropout when opening plugins with Pre-Gen on. Way to go MOTU, you got some things figured out over there!!
I was (well, I guess I am!) gonna ask the exact same question.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

dix

Post by dix »

DP Uninstall info http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/uninstalldp
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

dix wrote:
DP Uninstall info http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/uninstalldp
Thank you.

I should've thought about Motu.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I've done so much system maintenance for so many people over the years, I have developed a little routine whenever doing full reinstalls of anything.

1. Create a folder (desktop or wherever) called "*App name* old system files"

2. Create 6 subfolders "System App Support", "System Prefs", "User App Support", "User Prefs", "System Audio", "User Audio"

3. Scour the Application Support, Preference, and Audio folders in both the System and User Library folders for anything pertaining to the app being dealt with. Move anything found to the corresponding folders in the "Old System Files" folder you created. Usually the safest way to do this is copy and paste, then delete the originals from their original locations.

4. Occasionally you have to poke around in the Frameworks and Extensions folders, but not often.

5. Restart.

6. Empty the Trash.

7. Reinstall

8. After reinstalling, you can move certain files you wish to keep back, like Color Schemes and Command Bindings. Most other files should stay newly created. Preferences and MOTU Audio System Files should never be brought back in.

9. Enjoy your fresh install!!
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Amplidood!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dix

Post by dix »

8. After reinstalling, you can move certain files you wish to keep back, like Color Schemes and Command Bindings. Most other files should stay newly created. Preferences and MOTU Audio System Files should never be brought back in.
Would it make sense to make copies of my prefs preemptively? The last time I had to trash them it took weeks to get things back to how they were.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

YEs, that does make sense. Also, if you are using TimeMachine or other incremental backups that allow it, you can always go back in time and restore the plists from there. Just saves you a step...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

amplidood wrote:I've done so much system maintenance for so many people over the years, I have developed a little routine whenever doing full reinstalls of anything.
For me, it's 1) make certain you have thorough Time Machine backups, 2) make certain that Indexing was on 3) know how to search a TM backup 4) use Restore to copy the files over
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

Anyone notice that 9.13 now maintains fades when you cut off the end of a soundbite - by making the fade steeper? You use to have to redo the fade. I didn't see this in the release notes, but it's a very nice touch.

...on the downside I'm getting a lot of crashes on Edge-edit with 9.13, so it's back to 9.02 until I have time to see if I can diagnose the problem.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:Anyone notice that 9.13 now maintains fades when you cut off the end of a soundbite - by making the fade steeper? You use to have to redo the fade. I didn't see this in the release notes, but it's a very nice touch.
How are cutting the soundbite? If I use the scissor tool, the fade disappears as usual. With edge edit the slope stays the same.
dix wrote:...on the downside I'm getting a lot of crashes on Edge-edit with 9.13, so it's back to 9.02 until I have time to see if I can diagnose the problem.
I haven't seen this yet on either Mac. They're both on Sierra now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

How are cutting the soundbite? If I use the scissor tool, the fade disappears as usual. With edge edit the slope stays the same.
By using Delete or Cut. If you delete within the fade in/out, the fade gets steeper, maintaining the start point.

...and, yep. Might be time to move to Sierra. Thx.
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I'm getting tons of crashes using the crossfade tool in the Soundbites window. MOTU tech support was able to verify this bug. If I copy and paste say a bar in the middle of a soundbite and then immediately click the tiny square in the top corner where the soundbites connect I get crashes often. If I either move the edge of the soundbite prior to clicking, or if I click AND drag the crossfade there isn't a crash. Needless to say I am command S'ing before every crossfade.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:
By using Delete or Cut. If you delete within the fade in/out, the fade gets steeper, maintaining the start point.
I've never edited soundbites that way. Always used scissors and edge editing. Interesting that select/cut/paste gives different results. I would have thought these are all different ways of doing the same thing. I'll start doing it your way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

DP 9.13 STRESS TEST

I just installed DP 9.13 AND 9.02 on my Mac. DP 8.13 is also on this Mac.

As I have some DP projects that require a buffer of 1024 in order to playback properly, I was concerned with DP 9.13’s performance on these projects given that I can not raise the buffer any higher than 1028. Here are the results of my tests.

COMPUTER: 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 2 x 2.4Ghz 6 Core Xeon, 12 GB Ram

DP SEQ FILE SIZE: 14 MB
DP SEQ RAM USEAGE: 3.80-4 GB (with about 4GB system RAM to spare)

PLUG-INS IN PROJECT: WAVES, KUSH, PSP, IZOTOPE, XFER RECORDS, KEILWERTH, SPL, EVENTIDE, MDA, SOUNDTOYS, SUGARBYTES

VIs IN PROJECT: VPS, REFX, PAPEN, SYNAPSE

TRACK COUNT: ABOUT 150 (mostly audio and auxes)

TRACK’S BUSSING/ROUTING: Most tracks are bussed to one of five auxes (set A), those five auxes are then further bussed to either one of two aux inputs (set B). Finally, those two auxes are then bussed to the input of an Audio track where the Final Mix is recorded.

BUFFER: 1024 for all DP versions (max my system will allow)

RESULTS:

DP 8.07:
DP Processing Meter: 95%
Performance: Not exactly snappy but works.
CPU Usage in Apple’s Activity Monitor: Around 26%

DP 9.02:
DP Processing Meter: 90%
CPU Usage in Apple’s Activity Monitor: Around 26%
Performance: Similar to 8.13, not snappy but works.

DP 9.13:
DP Processing Meter: 80%
CPU Usage in Apple’s Activity Monitor: Around 25%

Performance: Plays, but barely.
Selecting with mouse is extremely sluggish, 5 sec or more spinning beachball for anything, including something as simple as changing the cursor type.

STEPS TAKEN TO HELP DP 9.13 BETTER PLAY BACK SEQUENCE:

1) Used Load feature to import into empty DP 9 sequence.
Result: NO PERCEPTIBLE CHANGE

2) Increased prime seconds from 125 to to 500.

3) Deleted unused takes.

4) Deleted all plug-ins from Master Fader.

5) Routed ALL tracks to MASTER FADER OUT, removing all aux bussing in sequence:
Result: SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT
Still sluggish but can change curser type and scroll through input/output lists much faster. Playback is still not as smooth as DP 8.13.

6) Rerouted one CPU intensive reverb (Eventide Blackhole - or a similarly CPU demanding reverb) directly to MASTER FADER OUT:
Result: SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT
Still sluggish but can change curser type and scroll through input/output lists much faster.

CONCLUSIONS BASED ON THIS ONE TEST:

1) If you have a project that previously ran at your maximum buffer setting in a version of DP prior to 9.13, your sequence may be unable to play properly in DP 9.13.
Previous to DP 9.13, you could double the Host Buffer Multiplier in order to slightly increase performance. That feature is no longer available in 9.13.

2) As I have noticed in previous versions of DP, extensive bussing comes at a cost.
Bussing auxes to additional auxes, especially if there are intensive reverb plug-ins involved, appears to greatly increase the strain on DP.

3) Unexpectedly, the load on the CPU appears to be slightly less in DP 9.13 even though performance seems to indicate the opposite of that. MOTU tech support previously suggested doubling the buffer setting in DP 9.13 which seems to support the likelihood of increased CPU load. Not sure why DP’s and Apple’s metering suggests otherwise. Maybe there is something on my system that is skewing those particular readings.

4) As usual, Apple’s Activity Monitor shows much less strain than DP’s Processing Meter. I recently read that DP, Logic and Pro Tools are all close to each other in how many plug-ins can be run so one might assume they would also exhibit the same lower than expected Activity Monitor CPU readings - which leads me to:

5) I may need a more powerful computer.