DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Armageddon wrote:
It should also be noted that I just upgraded to Sierra from El Cap last weekend ... I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
That would be my guess as well. I (and others) have had permissions and preferences changed without notice when making system changes in general and/or installing and updating apps. No doubt it all boils down to the plist. If the new install trashes the old plist, of in some cases, creates a new one that is compatible with the new software, then the chances of "inheriting" preferences is greatly diminished.

Here's the thing, are your other files (assuming you have files that are not DP files on your machine... :lol: ) from other apps now showing their nasty extensions? I would imagine that's the case and is, of course, easily fixable in the FINDER preferences. In fact, it's the first option in the ADVANCED pane. I also have it off as a default and Sierra didn't change that. I have yet to install D( 9.13 and probably yawn's until I premiere the current project in late May. I will certainly watch to see if that changes on my machine. I doubt it will, but if it does, that DP is doing something to the system. Again, I doubt that, but one never knows, do one?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

That's probably it, I've seen the dpdoc extension since Mavericks / DP9.
But why it wouldn't open is funky, just because an new OS changes your OS pref's?

BTW- when did MOTU add a folder "bounced" in the audio folder? I almost freaked when I couldn't find the "import to project folder" bounced track :lol:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:rtfm:

BTW, I don't rtfm with every new release except when I have an issue. Things change. When they do I accept them and move on. However, the file not opening is kind of strange. That is a permissions thing.

It used to be repairing permissions would fix this s#%t but that's been eliminated in Sierra. I'd venture a further guess that the permissIons on the older files had not been repaired prior to the Sierra install, the old permissions were "inherited" and thus DP may not have been allowed access to the file. Once you reassociated the file type to the app, the system corrected it... unless it's still a problem.

:deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Type dpdoc into the search to find many threads going back to 2012. MOTU has weighed in on this, too.

If these files once resided on another Mac and were copied over without Migration Assistant, Time Machine or zipping first, that could explain it.

Otherwise, I have no idea why this didn't bite you in DP 8 like it did many others.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Maybe they fixed the pre-rendering engine so it works better... I am looking forward to installing 9.13 and finding out for myself.
I know, right? I mean imagine IF... :D

We now return you to doom and despair... :shock:
I'd love to take some days off and beta-test it and see if it works, then spend a day getting things back to 9.02-normal if it doesn't, but I have to work.
Rename your existing DP 9.02 to something like "Digital Performer 9.02" then run the installer and see if it works. They can co-exist on the same Mac as I'm sure you're aware. First sign of trouble and you're not happy, quit and launch DP 9.02 as usual and continue. That doesn't require "some days off" nor does it require an entire "day" to get back to normal.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

YAY!
In my case, DP 9.13 has dramatically improved loading times for complex sessions.
Not sure what is happening...
I'm opening several sessions that have lot's of VIs and plugs that would take a long time to load in 9.12.
Now the sessions load with alacrity and are ready to go in short order.
Individual plugs are still loading content, but DP is up and ready to go.

Not sure what they did, but this is a big deal for me.

Thanks MOTU!
All is well
JSmith1234567

DP 9.13 available

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'd love to take some days off and beta-test it and see if it works, then spend a day getting things back to 9.02-normal if it doesn't, but I have to work.
Rename your existing DP 9.02 to something like "Digital Performer 9.02" then run the installer and see if it works. They can co-exist on the same Mac as I'm sure you're aware. First sign of trouble and you're not happy, quit and launch DP 9.02 as usual and continue. That doesn't require "some days off" nor does it require an entire "day" to get back to normal.
Thanks James!

That is a great solution, and I'm going to try it.

I'm hoping 9.13 will be a success!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

Hi,

I just installed 9.13 on my MBP (OSX 10.12.4) and I'm now experiencing very frequent crashing. Particularly on simple edge edits. I've been using DP for the better part of a decade and have never experienced it to be as unstable as this. I'll hopefully be able to go back to 9.12 (I think I saved that download). It's curious as I recall the fix list says something about this update fixing a problem of crashing on edge edits. Ironically I never had this issue until the 'fix'!
Thanks
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The installer always installs DP in the Apps folder as "Digital Performer." Before installing a new version rename the old version of the app by appending the version number to the file name. Then when you run the installer you will still have the older version as well. If you experience issues, just launch the older version.

BTW, the YMMV principle applies here as I and many others haven't experienced the sort of instability you're referring to in DP 9.13. It's interesting how varied user experiences are.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I experienced a minor anomaly with RX 6A and DP 9.13 after installing both. I'm not going to describe it since it went away after I rebooted.

Gone are the days when every new version of DP crashed upon first launch and Permissions Repair is no longer a thing if you're on Sierra. Rebooting after installation is still a good idea.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

jahjedi wrote:I'll hopefully be able to go back to 9.12 (I think I saved that download).
Older versions are here.
http://motu.com/download/download_match ... oduct_id=1
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Jared

Post by Jared »

Hey Guys, I've been a Performer uses since the early 90's. I just upgraded to 9.13 and it keeps crashing upon opening. It seems to crash while trying to open my Kontakt players (but I'm on the latest version of that).

I've got a Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz quad core, 32 GIG BUT running system 10.10.5. Is that the issue?

Thanks so much,

Jared
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Jared wrote:Hey Guys, I've been a Performer uses since the early 90's. I just upgraded to 9.13 and it keeps crashing upon opening. It seems to crash while trying to open my Kontakt players (but I'm on the latest version of that).

I've got a Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz quad core, 32 GIG BUT running system 10.10.5. Is that the issue?

Thanks so much,

Jared
It could be. I would repair permissions in Disk Utility then do a Safe Boot by holding the Shift key. This will rebuild paths and reset your caches to default. Now reboot normally.

If you still have this problem, open Console.app to see what is happening as you load Kontakt. Look for a process failing that should be loading or something old that should have been removed from your system years ago.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Jared wrote:Hey Guys, I've been a Performer uses since the early 90's. I just upgraded to 9.13 and it keeps crashing upon opening. It seems to crash while trying to open my Kontakt players (but I'm on the latest version of that).

Thanks so much,

Jared
Make sure you are on the VERY LATEST version of Kontakt 5. NI released a new version of it just a couple of weeks ago.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

waterstrum wrote: Now the sessions load with alacrity
If by "alacrity" you mean "snappiness", then I've noticed this, too. :lol:

The first thing I've tried is the Edge Edit functions-no problems.

VI processing seems more efficient, too.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31