DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by corbo-billy »

waterstrum wrote: In my case, 9.13 is working very well and is better than 9.12.
Me too: I'm under SIERRA 10.12.4. _ And you ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Does audio still drop out every time you do any kind of edit to an audio track? Cutting, pasting, moving, pitch editing? If so, it's useless to me.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

All good here so far!

Edits work fine, no crashes.

The performance meter seems allot higher, but the latency @ 256 honestly feels like 64.

I had been planning to get back into direct-hardware-playthrough again.

I haven't used that in years, just making players deal with the latency in the phones, but it was starting to bug me recently.

256 is as low as I've ever been able to go without DP cr____ing out, but 256 in DP 9.13 feels like almost no latency. Even guitar players wouldn't really grumble. Unless you make them sight-read, of course.

Opening the waveform editor and then closing it, I get allot of weirdness...certain things reloading, an error message, the spinning ball for about a minute, but DP does come back after about 50 seconds and does not crash.

I use the waveform editor very infrequently, but for someone who does, this would be an annoyance. I only tried it because opening it would (reliably, if that's the correct word?) make DP crash for me in all previous versions.

These are all observations from only an hour of usage this AM since installing 9.13, but if the rest of the day goes like this, I'll happily stick with it.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

amplidood wrote:Does audio still drop out every time you do any kind of edit to an audio track? Cutting, pasting, moving, pitch editing? If so, it's useless to me.
That's never happened to me. Mostly what I do is editing cuts, adding or editing cross-fades, and the like, and I've never had the audio drop out.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

RodneySauer wrote:That's never happened to me. Mostly what I do is editing cuts, adding or editing cross-fades, and the like, and I've never had the audio drop out.
Hi Rodney!
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

RodneySauer wrote:
amplidood wrote:Does audio still drop out every time you do any kind of edit to an audio track? Cutting, pasting, moving, pitch editing? If so, it's useless to me.
That's never happened to me. Mostly what I do is editing cuts, adding or editing cross-fades, and the like, and I've never had the audio drop out.
I've never had that happen in any version of DP ever unless the playback buffer was way too low. With 9.1.3, I am able to work with a 128k buffer — I've never been able to get it that low before.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Re: DP{ 9.13 available

Post by toodamnhip »

The reason I ditched 9.12 was if I looped a section for editing, the looping made DP glitch at each loop, especially when the loop was small, like a bar or two, or when I made any edits while looping. Can anyone here who claims DP is working fine, try looping and editing, recording MIDI etc, while in a short looped section.....and see how DP does?
Last edited by toodamnhip on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Maybe they fixed the pre-rendering engine so it works better... I am looking forward to installing 9.13 and finding out for myself.
I know, right? I mean imagine IF... :D

We now return you to doom and despair... :shock:
I am going to try 9.13, but I worry that even with keeping 9.02 around, that something may be changed under the hood in an another file area, such as the audio engine, and that that change in 9.13 can effect 9.02. I guess, if 9.13 creates problems in 9.02, I can always go back and re install 9.02. So do all of us users suppose that each iteration of DP, has all under the hood stuff in the app itself? Or is there stuff installed elsewhere, such as in the AU components files? For ex, what if the AU component is modified in 9.13, and doen';t run smoothly with 9.02? I would like to believe it is as simple as opening various DP apps to get older versions. But who knows.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dinobass wrote:I was just talking to MOTU tech support this last week, and they told me that closing a VI's window will put it back into pre-gen mode. So if you put a VI in run-in-real-time mode by clicking in the VI's upper right window, make sure you keep the window open.

Also, assigning the VI's main output to a bus puts it into real time mode. That's another workaround for any pre-gen goofiness.
Since I have busses all over my files, such as "Drums bus”- “Band Bus”, "Vocal Bus”, etc, does this mean I will never benefit from next gen pre gen without changing my work habits? As long a user of DP as I have been, I have never figured out how to use multiple master buses in DP to control the whole band , or various sub sections, so I have always used buses. Theoretically, I am guessing here that if any user hates the next gen stuff, and hates that theres no “global off” for it, rathe than leaving a bunch of VIs open etc, they can just route everything to a Bus, which can be likened to a global “off” for next gen? Why doesn’t next gen work on busses anyway?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

But what is James's advice in this thread ?
James Steele wrote:The installer always installs DP in the Apps folder as "Digital Performer." Before installing a new version rename the old version of the app by appending the version number to the file name. Then when you run the installer you will still have the older version as well. If you experience issues, just launch the older version.

So that you can try at home and then you will be informed . :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:I am going to try 9.13, but I worry that even with keeping 9.02 around, that something may be changed under the hood in an another file area, such as the audio engine, and that that change in 9.13 can effect 9.02. I guess, if 9.13 creates problems in 9.02, I can always go back and re install 9.02. So do all of us users suppose that each iteration of DP, has all under the hood stuff in the app itself? Or is there stuff installed elsewhere, such as in the AU components files? For ex, what if the AU component is modified in 9.13, and doen';t run smoothly with 9.02? I would like to believe it is as simple as opening various DP apps to get older versions. But who knows.
I've used this method with new versions for a long time and if the latest update caused an issue, I'd launch the older app and it always behaved as it had prior.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Seeing Progress in this update

Post by toodamnhip »

OK, quick testing is indeed promising.
Updated to VE Pro 9 and DP 9.13.

VE PRO SYNC BUG HANDLED_GONE-but not due to DP 9, but instead, VE Pro 6.
The long time bug of syncing VE Pro loops when auditioned at higher buffers is fixed it appears!!
But VE Pro update from 5 to 6 did this, not DP. But it is still a nice thing to have fixed. I was able to add various fills and beats, and audition without lose of sync, even at buffers of 4 in VE Pro. And looking at DP’s processing meters, I could see a big difference when setting, around 20% CPU, when running VE Pro at buffer of 4, compared to “none”.
So now, it appears I can really save juice on VE Pro. I can even switch buffers from “none” to 4 and the auditioned beat stays in sync. However, going back from 4 to “none”, while still playing, results in the beat going out of sync. Strange. But of course, this is being cruel to VE Pro as no one needs to switch on the fly. But of course, since I updated both today, I tested VE on DP 8 and it too synced correctly...so no credit to DP 9.13 for this very welcome fux between DP and Ve Pro.

NO BIG PROCESSOR IMPROVMENT SEEN......YET
I am not seeing a big processor improvement at low buffers in 9.3 as of yet, beside of course, the improvement of being able to run VE Pro at buffer 4.
For example- ONE instance of EZ drummer, 1 unused piano and bass VI, at 64 show at 50% processor when VE Pro is set to “none” one its buffers. This is not impressive at all on a 12 core machine. At buffer 4, processor is at 30%. Again, not impressive. It is strange how various users get different improvements or lack of improvement.
I will have to test more to really know how 9.13 is on processor.

LOOP EDITING MUCH IMPROVED_
I haven’t gone to a big sequence yet, but on the track I produced last night, I was able to make small loops and actually work without 9.13 glitch. I was able to move the loops points most times, but found that moving the loop points while in play caused some audio parts to stop playing sometimes, but not always. So I think changing loop parameters is much improved and good enough for sure for production work...but not perfect.

COMP TOOL BUG AFTER ANY PASTING Still EXISTS-
Long term bug-you can change comp tool edits without playback in DP burping/glitching, but ONLY until you make the 1st paste in ANY audio track. Once you have made a paste, from then on, change a selected piece of audio with the comp tool results in a playback glitch. This is a long term problem and was not fixed in 9.13

LARGE FILE EDITING and minor LOOPING glitches-
Went to a large file and was not quite a happy with changing loop points as I had been on the smaller file. Most times, changing loop points resulted on a short glitch in playback that does not exist in 9.02 or 8.07.
Haven’t worked long enough to know if automation chasing on large files is funky like it was in 9.02. it would be nice to not have to mix in DP 8 due to this anymore,..we’ll see.

Tried running large mix at 64 buffer= total noise, insufficient CPU.
128 buffer= partial noise, insufficient CPU. No real power savings evident.

All in all- mixed bag. Seems like I can work in 9.13 now if I am willing to accept small glitches when changing loop points. Time will tell if I can run large, automated mixed in 9.13 with automation errors.
And it will be best to really start a new production from scratch and see how 9.13 “Performs”.

I am seeing progress though in this update..which is good.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

toodamnhip wrote: I am going to try 9.13, but I worry that even with keeping 9.02 around, that something may be changed under the hood in an another file area, such as the audio engine, and that that change in 9.13 can effect 9.02. I guess, if 9.13 creates problems in 9.02, I can always go back and re install 9.02. So do all of us users suppose that each iteration of DP, has all under the hood stuff in the app itself? Or is there stuff installed elsewhere, such as in the AU components files? For ex, what if the AU component is modified in 9.13, and doen';t run smoothly with 9.02? ... But who knows.
Lots of people know. It doesn't work that way.
... I am not seeing a big processor improvement at low buffers in 9.3 as of yet, ...
That has been mentioned a few times by those still running Yosemite.

Those of us who have noticed a dramatic improvement in lower buffer performance appear to be running Sierra. Based on my own tests, MOTU has found a way to optimize performance using the current Mac OS.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Seeing Progress in this update

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:Seems like I can work in 9.13 now if I am willing to accept small glitches when changing loop points.
Oh the horror! :shock: LOL... just kidding. Seems like that's not that bad a "problem" to deal with.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One thing to remember about 9.1x is, compared to earlier versions, latency is 1/2 for any given buffer size. Like some have noted, DP is now very workable while tracking Vis with buffer of 256 and even 512 depending on the VI. I still track VIs at 128 whenever possible, however.

So far, I have been able to work in 9.13 with nominal issues (other than the enduring - at least for me - cc64 bug). One crash during last night's session, but no issues today opening old files for remixes.

Happy to confirm the Pitch Editing mousing issue is gone.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31