DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote: I've never understood why aux busses seem to take such a huge toll on processing power?

I can have a huge template, but adding even just a few auxes just slams the performance meter and slows things to molasses.
Because they interrupt the ability for the pre-gen system to work. Nothing on an AUX can be pre-gen'd.
So if there is no plugs on an Aux and use it as a sum the cpu hit will be less?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
gman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by gman »

Did someone noticed that when recording automation, it works tweaking knobs, but it won't record bypass or enable on a plugin, that was working on previous version !
anyone can confirm that ?

cheers !
RROY

Post by RROY »

Just tried it with a 3rd party plugin, and it works fine here on DP 9.13, though not everything works correctly in this version.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote: I've never understood why aux busses seem to take such a huge toll on processing power?

I can have a huge template, but adding even just a few auxes just slams the performance meter and slows things to molasses.
Because they interrupt the ability for the pre-gen system to work. Nothing on an AUX can be pre-gen'd.
Do all DAW's have a slow down with Auxes? PT, Logic, Studio One etc... any better then another?
I run a ton of Auxes, always have. For m to mix like I want, I need a variety of sub group controls, Auxes are the way for me. Never realized they made DP crankier.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

We too, use many many auxes in our scoring template. Have to. At least until someone shows us an alternate way to get all the subs we need for stems etc. Any ideas?

And would someone be kind enough to sum up why using lots of auxes is bad in one or two sentences. It would be appreciated as I am in the weeds with work and not much time for research.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

labman wrote:We too, use many many auxes in our scoring template. Have to. At least until someone shows us an alternate way to get all the subs we need for stems etc. Any ideas?

And would someone be kind enough to sum up why using lots of auxes is bad in one or two sentences. It would be appreciated as I am in the weeds with work and not much time for research.

You won't get that reasoning from me. I use many aux busses all the time with no issues.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
doodles

Post by doodles »

labman wrote:We too, use many many auxes in our scoring template. Have to. At least until someone shows us an alternate way to get all the subs we need for stems etc. Any ideas?

cos it completely brings my system to a grinding halt!!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ghobish wrote:

You won't get that reasoning from me. I use many aux busses all the time with no issues.
Same here.

Aux tracks are an essential part of my template to extract all my stems. There's no other way around it if that's what you need.
DP9.02 works mostly fine here (with huge room for improvements...).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

gman wrote:Did someone noticed that when recording automation, it works tweaking knobs, but it won't record bypass or enable on a plugin, that was working on previous version !

cheers !
Confirmed. It seems to effect some Waves and MOTU plugins in my experience. Only effects bypass automation.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

I've found auxes in general not to be the problem. It's when sending many tracks to an aux and then bussing that aux to another aux that the CPU hit starts to increase. Do that a couple more times (not that there is always that need) and DP has a hard time keeping up. Hungry plugins like Eventide's Blackhole and Waves H-delay don't help. When I've taken those out of the aux chain, performance has improved.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

On a technical note-
There could be a comparison between “grouping” tracks and creating an Aux bus. I have watched fader movement when grouping and determined that pulling vol up and down does not result in a equal change in value in a variety of circumstances, not the least of which is what happens when one fader reaches maximum or minimum before the others. Thus, a true 1:1 ratio of volume and other values can only occur through use of an Aux track.
In addtion, when I make Auxes, I want 100% isolation of that group for stems and mixing. For example, I will add a reverb. and various effects, ONLY to that sub group. Thus, if I bring down “electric guitars” on the master Aux fader, they have their own reverb, separate from other guitars and reverbs. It is this type of isolation that creates true control over a mix for me. Without axes, it would be far more difficult.
I am staying put at 9.02 because of various chokes and burps, and irregular behavior compared to 9.02 and DP 8. The fact that Auxes are handled differently than other tracks is something I have not quite wrapped my head around yet. But I am wondering of ONE way to get around all this inconsistent and controversial latency compensation, is to use Aux buses on everything?
besides routing my sub groups like guitars, I also route everything to a BAND AUX. Yet I am still not having a good experience with 9.13. Thoughts about using Auxes everyone to either improve or get around Latency Comp?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

I just found out about this AUX buss issue, the hard way, last evening. I'm working on a project which is taxing my 12-core,64gb, 3 UAD-2 Octo, PCIe-424 system, even with the buffer maxed (pcie-424) at 1024, and I've been scratching my head as to why. So I turned off all tracks except the background vox and removed all plugins so that there was only the two back vox tracks and the 6 busses associated with them. Enabling this group of tracks takes my idle processor usage from around 20% to around 90% with a 256 buffer. Hitting play with them enabled chokes the system. Disabling them brings it back down to 20%. Again, this is with all the plugins removed and only audio routing. I don't know if I'm just remembering incorrectly, but using Aux busses didn't seem to tax the system as much as it is doing in 9.13.

Adding in the E.Guitar group's 4 aux busses, Acc Guitar Group's buss, Drum Group's 12 busses (bfd3 multi-out), Keyboard Group's 2 aux busses and bass turns my system into a pinwheel displaying piece of art more than a music creation system. With everything enabled and the buffer at 1024, when trying to edge edit an audio clip, you have to position the cursor on the edge, click, wait 30 seconds for the click to be acknowledged (and the pinwheel to go away) then you can slide the edge. Releasing the click is another 30-second pinwheel pause.

All this and I've yet to record the main vocal track and getting extremely frustrated with DP. To make matters worse, trying to load Falcon results in a crash with a "crash origin unknown" report and not much help from either MOTU or UVI (so far at least anyway).

Does this sound like typical behavior? Have any insight? I'd greatly appreciate any you could offer.

I wasn't going to post about this, but reading the aux buss posts above, changed my mind. Don't mean to hijack the thread and if this should have been a separate post, sorry.

The track routing for my example is: Two mono back vox audio tracks routed to a vox sub stereo buss for summing and feeding to composited fx. One send from the sub to a vox fx buss which feeds the two verbs (one for width and one for tails) and a mono send for sidechain triggering (using MOTU's compressor) for ducking the long tail verb during singing. All three of those busses go to a back vox mix buss, then to a 'All Vocals' buss and finally the Mix/Master buss.

Here is an image showing what track routing looks like, sans mix/master buss.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ccrane wrote:
gman wrote:Did someone noticed that when recording automation, it works tweaking knobs, but it won't record bypass or enable on a plugin, that was working on previous version !

cheers !
Confirmed. It seems to effect some Waves and MOTU plugins in my experience. Only effects bypass automation.
Run the plugin in real time and it works, at least for me on MAS plugs. Didn't try Waves this evening.