DP 9.13 available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Armageddon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.13 available

Post by Armageddon »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Here's the thing, are your other files (assuming you have files that are not DP files on your machine... :lol: ) from other apps now showing their nasty extensions? I would imagine that's the case and is, of course, easily fixable in the FINDER preferences. In fact, it's the first option in the ADVANCED pane. I also have it off as a default and Sierra didn't change that. I have yet to install D( 9.13 and probably yawn's until I premiere the current project in late May. I will certainly watch to see if that changes on my machine. I doubt it will, but if it does, that DP is doing something to the system. Again, I doubt that, but one never knows, do one?
I have a few programs where the extensions kind of always showed up (Final Draft's ".fdr"/".fdx", Adobe's various extensions, Pro Tools, ".doc" files, etc.) -- I assume this was because these files were designed to be opened in the same program on different OS's -- but this is the first time I've ever seen it with DP. Stranger was the fact that DP 9.13 didn't recognize these files as being DP project files until I manually typed in the ".dpdoc" extension. I didn't check when I upgraded to Sierra whether the extension showed up at that point, but previous to upgrading both my OS and DP 9, the extensions were not there as of El Capitan and DP v9.0.1 and I could open up DP project files all day long. DP 9.0.1 also wasn't saving files with that extension.

First thing I noticed after upgrading DP and trying to open a project file was that all my DP project files were suddenly showing up as "UNIX Executable" files, which is what happens when the system doesn't recognize the file type and doesn't know what to open it with. I probably could have gone into "Get Info" and tried assigning my project files to DP that way, which may have saved me some typing. It was just very weird that it did that -- definitely not a deal-breaker, by any means. At least it was easily resolvable.
cuttime wrote:VI processing seems more efficient, too.
That's exactly what I thought, too, glad it wasn't just me being subjective. They definitely tweaked a few things under the hood -- stuff seems to load and play a lot faster than even in 9.0.1.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just spent a day with 9.13 on my main music Mac (2010 QuadCore Mac Pro, running OSX 10.10.5, 32 GB of RAM).

Sad to report, there is absolutley no improvement in efficiency vs. 9.02. And just like on 9.02, performance is better at higher buffer settings. Track at 256 with a VI, record straight audio at 512, mix at 1024.

I'd have to say performance is probably worse in 9.13. For one thing, even at a setting of 512 buffer, as soon as multiple instances of CPU-hungry plugs (like Amplitube 4) start processing audio, the processor bar spikes all the way to the red, then "settles back down". This is exactly how 9.12 behaved on my machine, which is why I went back to 9.02.

I can't even go to a buffer of 128 for tracking...complete processor overload, DP just grinds to a halt.
And this is without any VI's running at all. Just 20 mono audio tracks and two stereo audio tracks.

The only difference I notice is that 9.13 is faster at switching buffer settings.

I'm gonna guess that pre 2012 Macs don't benefit much from this Next Gen Pre Gen thing in 9.13. Maybe MOTU tests on older operating systems but not on older Macs.

I'll spend a few more days with 9.13, but I have a feeling I'll just go back to 9.02.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Update = I am still experienceing close to the same performance at buffers of 256, 512, and 1024 in DP 9.13 as I was in 9.,02...BUT, I have found a workaround to address the processor spikes and stuttering,
which leaves me very hopeful.

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63312
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
jahjedi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jahjedi »

James Steele wrote:BTW, the YMMV principle applies here as I and many others haven't experienced the sort of instability you're referring to in DP 9.13. It's interesting how varied user experiences are.
Yes I was curious to see if others were having the issue - seems not. Interesting. I've had a pretty good run with DP to only now, after 9+ years of using this DAW, be in a position where its not working properly after an update.

Thanks for the link bayswater and the tip James - both very good to know! I really appreciate this forum!

Cheers
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

David Polich wrote:Just spent a day with 9.13 on my main music Mac (2010 QuadCore Mac Pro, running OSX 10.10.5, 32 GB of RAM).
I'm gonna guess that pre 2012 Macs don't benefit much from this Next Gen Pre Gen thing in 9.13. Maybe MOTU tests on older operating systems but not on older Macs.
2009 Mac Pro here, the NextGen PreGen thing has worked for me here. I wish I could tell you why. I 95% of the time have it work as expected, the occasional song will have a higher than normal processor, and it likes to site at half mast on heavy projects, but that's about it.

I wish I could tell you what I'm doing differently but I'm not sure? It worked in 9.12 despite me using VST2 and them fixing issues in DP9.13 with that and with the Fireface driver I use. I don't have any networking style plug ins like VEP or UAD etc. and I generally host all VSTs in V-Racks.

In directly the opposite experience of you guys I have the most heavy CPU issues when I've got record on multiple VSTi's for composing turned on. So if I'm set up with multiple controllers live, it can jamb the CPU up through the roof on a heavy mix.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I'm still experiencing faster load times and it makes me very happy.
I think MOTU did something good!

Bad thing...

I can't quit DP without Force Quit.
All is well
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

David Polich wrote:Update = I am still experienceing close to the same performance at buffers of 256, 512, and 1024 in DP 9.13 as I was in 9.,02...BUT, I have found a workaround to address the processor spikes and stuttering,
which leaves me very hopeful.

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63312
Thanks for that heads-up. I'll pay attention to that when I open older files.

I noticed that I could run lower buffers in 9.12 than 9.02 and even lower now in 9.13. I have all three installed and was able to A/B/C opening an old project that I use for such tests. 9.02, 8.07 and 7.24 all perform about the same with this file (you can't install 7.24 in Sierra but, if you upgraded from a previous OS, it still works).

This leads me to wonder if you being on Yosemite is a factor.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
guitardood

Re: DP{ 9.13 available

Post by guitardood »

dinobass wrote:No problem opening DP 9.13 here.

Delay compensation is still not working right, though. If I have cpu intensive plugs on the master bus (especially some UAD) and then render a VI to audio, the recorded audio is offset. This was the case also in 9.12, if not an earlier version of 9. Never had a problem with it in DP 7 or 8.
Although I'm having and submitted tons of crashes in 9.1.3 (esp just hovering the mouse over the handle to edit the fade on a clip or just loading Falcon... ARGHHHHHHHH! Command-S is my new BFF), but I've also come across a problem like you are having that to me seems like it's related to VI not running in realtime. For example, I'm using Falcon and BFD3. If I keep them open and the "Run in realtime" option checked in the VI's upper-right dropdown, timing is perfect. If I close close the VI windows, their timing runs amok. The same is also true for VB3 under 32Lives, Toontrack's drum plugs and Slate drums. For me, 9.1.3 is the buggiest version of DP since I switched to Mac/DP from Sonar/Windows, around version 7.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I was just talking to MOTU tech support this last week, and they told me that closing a VI's window will put it back into pre-gen mode. So if you put a VI in run-in-real-time mode by clicking in the VI's upper right window, make sure you keep the window open.

Also, assigning the VI's main output to a bus puts it into real time mode. That's another workaround for any pre-gen goofiness.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

To people having issues: this is very basic but have you done a Get Info on the DP app after installing and checked the "Prevent App Nap" box? It's unchecked by default after running the installer and should be checked.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:To people having issues: this is very basic but have you done a Get Info on the DP app after installing and checked the "Prevent App Nap" box? It's unchecked by default after running the installer and should be checked.
For those not following the other thread, App Nap is designed to extend battery life on laptops. It serves no other purpose. Desktop computers should disable it system wide by copying and pasting the following command in Terminal:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

Reboot or close and restart applications

To re-enable App Nap in Mac OS X

defaults delete NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled

Reboot or close and restart applications

This will not change the status of the boxes in Get Info. You open the Energy tab in the Activities Monitor to see that it's been disabled.

Not all applications support this. In those cases, there is no box in Get Info
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Seems faster to load big projects than 9.12, and I no longer get potential crashes or freeze-ups if I do back-to-back actions "too quickly". So I guess I was suffering from some of the now-fixed bugs.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: DP{ 9.13 available

Post by terrybritton »

FMiguelez wrote:
terrybritton wrote: [My "Master Template" has 73 tracks for tubas ALONE, just to give you an idea...]
:shock:
Let me guess... You're using one track per articulation per library of the same instrument... :)
I just wanted to set the record straight that I very never work this way myself and was only JOKING! I absolutely abhor working on large templates (I appreciate, however, that you do it well, FM), and I seldom do, though I have some fair size ones set up. I thought they would give me freedom and dexterity having the instruments readily available, but it turns into a pain in the butt -- for me!

"Allow more than 32,000 MIDI tracks in a project."
- give me a break! I vastly prefer far smaller track counts (like ONE!)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
dt1000u

Post by dt1000u »

9.13 crashing when edge editing soundbites. Also, corrupting some files making them unusable. Had the same problem with 9.12, so in both instances now I've reverted back to 09.02. I'm running under Yosemite- could that be the problem?
Mac Pro 3.75GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.13.2, DP9.51, MOTU 8M
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

I know that these issues are very system specific.
In my case, 9.13 is working very well and is better than 9.12.
Faster loading times and more responsive.
Still have the force quit issue.
Anybody know about that?
All is well