Equivalent to "elastic audio" or "flex time" in DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MonoPoly307
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Equivalent to "elastic audio" or "flex time" in DP?

Post by MonoPoly307 »

Hey again guys,

Hoping for some help before I purchase DP.

I've seen that DP has a strong tool set for pitch editing built in, similar to Melodyne.

I'm wondering if there is anything in DP for altering the timing of specific notes or hit points, like elastic audio in Pro Tools or flex time in Logic?

Is this a part of the Melodyne style editor (with the blobs that can be moved to change pitch, and potentially also to edit timing?)" or is this not currently a feature that is available in DP?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,
Mike
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Equivalent to "elastic audio" or "flex time" in DP?

Post by stubbsonic »

DP does have a "stretch" function that allows you to grab the upper edge of a region and drag it longer or shorter. The curser changes to a be-glovéd hand. It's kind of a trial-and-error thing. Depending on how much stretch is needed, and the source material, it is kind of hit & miss.

As for DP's tempo-> audio functions, I'm not very familiar with what all they can do.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

DP's pitch correction facility is awesome. Very intuitive and easy to operate. And under experienced hands it sounds great.

As for the Time Stretching... You won't find anything like PT's elastic audio. You can stretch and shrink audio, but the result is usually quite poor, especially stereophonic stuff. It's not comparable. I never use it.

IIRC, I think we were promised a big improvement precisely in this area for DP10.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and purchase DP9 now, so by the time DP10 is released you already know most of its secrets and how to use it well.
DP is a deeeeeep program, and it excels in many areas and it's unique in many others (chunks, V-racks). But time stretching is not one of them at the moment...

When I need time stretching I use MachFive. I've seen people use Live in tandem with DP successfully too.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
billf

Post by billf »

yeloop wrote:... elastic audio in Pro Tools or flex time in Logic?
Here is a thread on what MOTU showed at the recent NAMM 2017. It shows upcoming features related to pitch and time editing in DP.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62948
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In the mean time, there's IRCAM for time stretch/compression and Melodyne Studio for that and pitch manipulation to degrees not possible in DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

FMiguelez wrote:DP's pitch correction facility is awesome. Very intuitive and easy to operate. And under experienced hands it sounds great.

As for the Time Stretching... You won't find anything like PT's elastic audio. You can stretch and shrink audio, but the result is usually quite poor, especially stereophonic stuff. It's not comparable. I never use it.

IIRC, I think we were promised a big improvement precisely in this area for DP10.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and purchase DP9 now, so by the time DP10 is released you already know most of its secrets and how to use it well.
DP is a deeeeeep program, and it excels in many areas and it's unique in many others (chunks, V-racks). But time stretching is not one of them at the moment...

When I need time stretching I use MachFive. I've seen people use Live in tandem with DP successfully too.
I use MachFive too, but I think it's no longer supported (nor is it very intuitive). You export a stereo mix, import it into MachFive, stretch or shrink it, export it, and bring it back into DP. Awkward, but it really sounds very good.

MachFive uses the IRCAM algorithms, so that should work too, and with luck, the time stretching shown at NAMM will appear in DP later this year.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you're even halfway serious about your music, and need to stretch stuff with great results, IRCAM TS is worth the $250. I think I bought it on sale a long time ago for something like $50 or $25. I never need to change audio speed for my music but do have to often enough for dance, theater, and commercial production. NOTHING works as well as IRCAM TS.

At $250 a pop, TS not cheap, but it's cheaper then Melodyne 4 Studio, which, or course, does a lot more and is certainly worth the money as well.

Or one can wait and hope that MOTU will have better algorithms in DP X.

BTW, Mach5 is still supported by MOTU and does a great job (using the same software as TS but in a different wrapper). Getting M5 results to the sequence can be a little tricky. It should BTD but I haven't used that feature in a long time as TS is my go-to.

Mortilla
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you're even halfway serious about your music, and need to stretch stuff with great results, IRCAM TS is worth the $250. I think I bought it on sale a long time ago for something like $50 or $25. I never need to change audio speed for my music but do have to often enough for dance, theater, and commercial production. NOTHING works as well as IRCAM TS.

At $250 a pop, TS not cheap, but it's cheaper then Melodyne 4 Studio, which, or course, does a lot more and is certainly worth the money as well.

Or one can wait and hope that MOTU will have better algorithms in DP X.

BTW, Mach5 is still supported by MOTU and does a great job (using the same software as TS but in a different wrapper). Getting M5 results to the sequence can be a little tricky. It should BTD but I haven't used that feature in a long time as TS is my go-to.

Mortilla
Damn!
There goes 250 dolars... Or more...

Thanks? Mike Halloran and Mike MLC :?

I didn't know they existed as plugins! It seems definitely more streamlined than having to do all the MachFive dance to stretch something.
Hello TS :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman