New to DP: Import parts of a project into a new project?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MonoPoly307
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New to DP: Import parts of a project into a new project?

Post by MonoPoly307 »

Hi guys

I'm a long term Logic user (since the mid 90s!), looking to add DP to my studio for a move into soundtrack work.

I have a question: in Logic it's possible to easily import a track, or several tracks, from an existing Logic project into the current one. You can easily specifiy when you don't want the track content (just the effect settings for the track, for example), or even just import project configurations from one project to another.

I'm wondering whether DP has anything like this, and how comprehensive it is?

I've discovered that the manual can't be downloaded, so any info you can provide on this would be appreciated!

Cheers and thanks,
Mike
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New to DP: Import parts of a project into a new project?

Post by daniel.sneed »

Yes, open a new project and in file menu, click *load*.
Chose the project you want to import from.
A dialog box shows up, and voilà:
It allows loading of anything you may want and leave what you don't.
Including chunks (sequences), with or without audio, V-racks, ...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New to DP: Import parts of a project into a new project?

Post by stubbsonic »

And, as with many things, DP has more than one way to solve these kinds of things depending on your workflow preference.

The Soundbites window which displays a list of all audio files and their associated regions has an import function for audio files.

Also, DP has a very useful "Clippings" function that allows you to store a variety of configurations-- in project specific clippings folders or for use in all DP projects. Once you get your head around it, it's very powerful. The V-Racks thing itself is useful, as you can port racks of VI's and FX into multiple projects. Within a single project, multiple sequences can access the V-Racks without having to load samples into RAM each time you switch sequences.

If you need to see the manual, just download install the demo.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com