DP Audio track routed to Bluetooth?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Audio track routed to Bluetooth?

Post by James Steele »

Was wondering if this is even possible? What made me wonder is a I saw some bluetooth headphones online, and wondered if I could send a track with a click track on it to bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth earpiece? My drummer is literally no more than 3 feet or so from the laptop playing tracks and made me just curious if it would be feasible to free him from having corded earbuds?

May not even be practical. For example, wireless earpiece or phones would likely not even be able to produce adequate volume to be heard with a drumkit in close proximity. So it may not even be useful. Just wondering if it's theoretically possible?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP Audio track routed to Bluetooth?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't have BT headphones but as long as a simultaneous signal can be sent to multiple devices (headphones, audio out, mixer, etc.) I don't see why it shouldn't work.

AirPlay should, in theory, also be an option. In that scenario, I would think you could have an airplay device (such as an apple TV, iPad, iPhone, etc) on the same network and receive the signal at those locations. The problem I have found there is only one location can be accessing the data at a time. i would love to have a "local broadcast system" in my home and studio so i could be reviewing my work while making dinner or cleaning, etc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I don't know anything about Bluetooth, but my two (bad) cents:
- Airplay exhibits a huge latency
- so, reviewing tracks may be an option, while tracking may be not
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I hadn't thought of that but I'm sure you are correct. Oh well, Plan C anyone? :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was curious and tried to test this, and the little bluetooth receiver I just got wouldn't pair with my rMBP. Also just tried my relatively new BT speaker-- neither appear in the available devices list. Might be a BT version issue?

I guess a plan C (assuming you don't run into the deal-breaking snag I hit) would be if you have an actual audio track for your click, which you could slip it earlier in time to make up for any BT latency there might be. This method assumes that the latency induced by BT is constant. Once it is known, you could have the option of unmuting your specially delay-compensated & routed BT click track when you need it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh latency. Forgot about that. I actually DO use an audio track for the click. (I print DP's metronome to a track then use that from then on.) This gives me the ability to use a send to route the click to another output going to a wireless in-ear monitor transmitter for me and then program mutes for the send so I can turn my click on only when I want it (intros, etc).

Sounds like it's not worth the trouble. Thanks for the answers!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

This gives me the ability to use a send to route the click to another output going to a wireless in-ear monitor transmitter for me and then program mutes for the send so I can turn my click on only when I want it (intros, etc).
I accomplish this by routing the click to a bus in click Prefs, then simply adding a "Click" aux in the project. Way easy way to adjust volume, automate mutes, etc.

Only time I print the click is if I need it included in a reference mix, as you can't get DP to include it's built-in click in a BTD (or can you?)

As to the BT question, I think you'll find that BT has a way too high fundamental latency.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... agreed. As mentioned earlier the latency is just too much. As for printing the click to audio, call me superstitious, but I just simply trust it more when it's an audio file. Again, can't claim it to be logical.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You could get an FM transmitter pretty cheaply, then have some earbuds connected to an FM radio (some phones, some MP3 players). I've never noticed any latency.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:You could get an FM transmitter pretty cheaply, then have some earbuds connected to an FM radio (some phones, some MP3 players). I've never noticed any latency.
Well yeah. I mean pretty soon you might as well just get in-ear monitors. Although that is a cheaper solution. I already had a cheap Shure model that I use. It's fine for hearing the click track when I need to. My drummer has a corded ones and there's really nothing wrong with that at all. It was just sort of a "is it possible" question? Not really practical. The cord doesn't really bother him when he plays AFAIK. :)

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

IMOE, in the long run, looking for battery charge, or brand new cells, is much more of a hassle than a cord if you play sitting, or standing with few moving around. No more, no less than a guitar cord.

BTW, don't get me started around HF transmission, specially in a busy HF surrounding.
Some good, but some very bad experiences, too.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...