String Library problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Sands
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: String Library problem

Post by Robert Sands »

Gravity Jim - Okay, I turned off the Memory Server. Now about the Preload Buffer - it's set to 60.00 kb. What should I try?

Also - you mentioned the audio buffer and sample rate. Is that in Kontakt? Where is it and what should I set it to?

Thanks for the tips. Thank you all. Maybe we're getting somewhere finally.
Robert Sands

Post by Robert Sands »

Gravity Jim. Wow! Turning the Memory Server off really did wonders. My strings are finally playing nice. I just did a 3 string part little piece - 8th notes at a fast tempo and it actually didn't freak out. Played it back perfectly. Unreal! Please coach me on those other things you told me to do. See my previous post.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dix »

Also - you mentioned the audio buffer and sample rate. Is that in Kontakt? Where is it and what should I set it to?
He means in DP if your composing and mixing (as opposed to performing live) I'm sure.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Robert Sands

Post by Robert Sands »

Thanks dix. Got it.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No, actually, there are buffer settings just for Kontakt, inside the setting area. Check those, too, and experiment for what runs best on your machine.

That Memory Server was a pre-64-bit way of dealing with voice loading, etc., and it conflicts mightily with DP's own memory handling, so leaving it on causes a bunch of non-specific problems. Glad it worked! I've been tweaking Kontakt for so long I almost forgot those settings were there until I saw your post!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Wow, someone directed me to this post after I posted elsewhere on the forum about this same issue - same problem, but with Spitfire sample libraries - and disabling the memory server seems to be doing the trick for me as well, so thanks!!
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Gravity Jim wrote:That Memory Server was a pre-64-bit way of dealing with voice loading, etc., and it conflicts mightily with DP's own memory handling, so leaving it on causes a bunch of non-specific problems. Glad it worked! I've been tweaking Kontakt for so long I almost forgot those settings were there until I saw your post!
Gah. Is this universally true? Memory Server is still loved and left on here for reasons of memory persistence, not because it breaks the 4Gb limit which vanished with 64bit as you pointed out. It's just great never to have to wait for any load time when working on the same project/s for an extended period b/c all your kontakt samples just stay in memory when you close a session. Yah I have all SSD's etc, big sessions still benefit.
How does KMS conflict with DP's memory handling? Is this on MOTU's radar and can it be remedied?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't know specific programming style reasons why it doesn't work well under a 64-bit DAW, but if you are running in 64, then Memory Server is sequestering a chunk of RAM that would be better opened up to the DAW. So "off" is best.

I'm pretty sure I learned that here. Try searching on "Memory Server" to see what bobs up.

As you can see from Robert Sands' results, it's totally true.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]