DP's Spatial Maximizer and applied Mid/Side concepts...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP's Spatial Maximizer and applied Mid/Side concepts...

Post by FMiguelez »

[EDIT]
So Stubbsonic and MikeHalloran were kind enough to educate me on the subject. No wonder I was getting unexpected results.
Turns out, there is NOT a bug in the plug-in
:smash:

Hello.
I'm experimenting with something, and in one of my tests I'm getting unexpected results (most likely due to my misunderstanding)...

If I pan 2 dry mono sources hard L and hard R, shouldn't there be NO signal in the Mid part? Shouldn't the signal be present ONLY in the Side ?

If I place DP's Spatial Maximiser plug-in in the master fader, and solo the Mid part, I hear them both, as well as if I solo the Side part. Why?
I'd understand if this happened if they were not being hard panned, but they are.... I was expecting to find no signal here, so me no comprende.

Also, if I pan both instruments dead center, and I solo the Mid or the Side, I only get signal in the Mid, not on the Side, as expected.

Thank you for any insight.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Re: Mid/Side - Stereo signal flow question

Post by mikehalloran »

No. If you are mu'xing an M/S source, you should pan hard R/L unless you want to narrow the stereo field. The center signal is mono and present both sides. If you center both channels, you will null the mono (M) leaving only the differential (S). There can be times when you want to do this.

Rather than write reams including everything I know on this, what's the real question? What are you trying to do?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In theory, it would depend on whether your two mono tracks have any common frequency content between them. The side track will show everything that differs between them, and the mid track will show everything that they share (i.e., panned center). In your case since nothing is panned center, then it would just be things that are on both track equally-- for example if you had a mono track of the left side of a mix.

Now, whether the spacial maximizer is doing something else or doing something wonky I can't say.

You can try another test with different sources and see if it still gives you a weird result.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Were the source channels recorded M/S or not?

If yes, then, before processing, one channel is standard mono (M) while the other is mono and contains the differential signal (S), the common elements nulled by the two sides being out of polarity. After processing, each side is a mono signal containing the differential plus one-half of the mono. The two halves of the mono signal are now out of polarity but the sides are now in polarity. By combining the signals in the processor, the nulls in each half create true stereo when the processed signal is panned hard L/R.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:No. If you are mu'xing an M/S source, you should pan hard R/L unless you want to narrow the stereo field.
Ok. That might be my first problem:
No. The source is not "an M/S source". It's only 2 mono tracks recorded normally from my synth. A flute and an oboe. They go out to the master track, where I placed the Spatial Maximizer to test this.

Please excuse my ignorance, but when you said an M/S source, did you mean a stereo file encoded as M/S?
If so, I didn't even consider there's a difference between a normal stereo encoded and an M/S encoded signal.
Is this so? I suppose that, all things being equal, they sound THE SAME but are encoded differently?

But even then, isn't encoding in M/S exactly what I'm doing by using the Spatial Maximiser?
mikehalloran wrote: The center signal is mono and present both sides. If you center both channels, you will null the mono (M) leaving only the differential (S). There can be times when you want to do this.
Yes. I think I can confirm that. But why can't I null the Mid and leave only the Side?
mikehalloran wrote: Rather than write reams including everything I know on this, what's the real question? What are you trying to do?
Oh, I'm just trying to understand this by testing it. And I'm glad I did, because I certainly was expecting something different. I'm still a little confused...
I am trying to implement a mixing trick I read about related to this, but first I must know what's going on under the hood. I'll write a new thread related to this particular trick which seems very cool.
stubbsonic wrote:In theory, it would depend on whether your two mono tracks have any common frequency content between them.
That's exactly what I thought! But that's not really happening...
I am testing with a flute and an oboe, both mono, each panned hard L and hard R. I was expecting to hear VERY LITTLE common material (perhaps only some frequency overlap between the 2, but I'm basically hearing the same thing when I listen to the Side or the Mid.
stubbsonic wrote: The side track will show everything that differs between them, ...
Exactly.... I just tried with a flute and a mono piano patch panned opposite, so they are REALLY different and have almost nothing in common. I was expecting to hear A LOT from the Side, and very little (whatever is common between a monophonic passage between a flute and piano), but no.
stubbsonic wrote: and the mid track will show everything that they share (i.e., panned center). In your case since nothing is panned center, then it would just be things that are on both track equally-- for example if you had a mono track of the left side of a mix.
Ok. Now I'm REALLY CONFUSED...
I just soloed the oboe part and panned it hard right. It's the only thing playing, but the Spatial Maximiser shows the same signal in the Side and in the Mid, whether I hard pan it to the L or R. I don't get this.

So if I pan it R, and Solo the Mid band, I still get a perfect oboe sound. Same if I put in in the L. Why???? There's nothing going to the center. There's no difference against something else because it's only one instrument.
And if I pan it center, and Solo the Side band, then I get nothing. This is expected (although I'm not sure I really understand why), but not the opposite scenario...
stubbsonic wrote: Now, whether the spacial maximizer is doing something else or doing something wonky I can't say.
Yes. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.
stubbsonic wrote: You can try another test with different sources and see if it still gives you a weird result.
I just did, and I understand less now.

If I solo the Mid signal, it should only give me whatever is common on both tracks, correct? If so, an oboe and a piano are identical, because they sound the same whether I solo the Mid or Side signals. :smash:

Like I wrote, I was expecting to hear ONLY what is common between the 2 channels in the Mid (almost nothing), and most of the difference of them in the Side. But that's not what I'm getting... :smash:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:Were the source channels recorded M/S or not?

If yes, then, before processing, one channel is standard mono (M) while the other is mono and contains the differential signal (S), the common elements nulled by the two sides being out of polarity. After processing, each side is a mono signal containing the differential plus one-half of the mono. The two halves of the mono signal are now out of polarity but the sides are now in polarity. By combining the signals in the processor, the nulls in each half create true stereo when the processed signal is panned hard L/R.
No. I recorded the 2 mono sources from my synth.

I didn't even know the signal can be already recorded encoded as M/S. I suppose you mean the recording technique with the mics?
How could I encode what I have now as M/S? Perhaps that's exactly what I need to do to get what I was expecting...

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I agree with you, FM, something isn't working right. I just tested in DP, and got the same result. I have a channel test file that has the spoken word, "Left, Right, Center" all positioned where they should go.

I get the exact same unexpected result. Soloing the MID plays everything. Soloing the SIDE plays only the side and does cancel the "center"

There are two related M/S applications: First, Mid-Side microphone technique, and Second, the Mid-Side stereo processing. Both employ phase relationships (and simple math) to allow you to work with stereo signals in a useful way. Sources that are recorded in M/S will have a mono signal that is captured by the center capsule, and another mono signal that contains all the signals coming to the side-ways figure-8 capsule. Then M+S gives you the left channel, and M-S (mid plus the inverted side signal) gives you the right channel.

The stereo processing version can be thought of as taking a perfect virtual M/S mic and pointing it at your mix. The un-matrixed signal has the components you describe above. Allowing a mixer to process center signals separately from side signals and enhance/widen things. The re-matrixed signal is your mix.

The Spacial Maximizer SHOULD be doing what is expected, but there might be something wrong with the solo function. I also noticed that I lost some stereo width when I engaged the spacial maximizer. There was actually significant bleed between the channels, with the plugin engaged I hear right in my left channel and vice versa.

Probably should notify the team over at MOTU that there is a bug with this plugin. It is an important one.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just submitted a techlink.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:I agree with you, FM, something isn't working right. I just tested in DP, and got the same result. I have a channel test file that has the spoken word, "Left, Right, Center" all positioned where they should go.

I get the exact same unexpected result. Soloing the MID plays everything. Soloing the SIDE plays only the side and does cancel the "center"
Thank you so much for trying this, Jon. I thought I was going crazy, or that I simply did not understand the M/S concept.

So apparently, there IS something wrong with Spatial Maximizer plug-in...
Man, I just stumbled into this bad issue by accident by doing a little experiment. No wonder it was not working... :shake:
stubbsonic wrote: The Spacial Maximizer SHOULD be doing what is expected, but there might be something wrong with the solo function. I also noticed that I lost some stereo width when I engaged the spacial maximizer. There was actually significant bleed between the channels, with the plugin engaged I hear right in my left channel and vice versa.
Hmmm... You mean there's some stereo width loss with the plug-in that helps to widen the stereo field?
Not good...
stubbsonic wrote: Probably should notify the team over at MOTU that there is a bug with this plugin. It is an important one.
Oh, I definitely will.
If you guys discover the same thing and want to help me MOTU notice and fix this soon, please also write to them about this.

Thank you! 8)

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:I just submitted a techlink.
Great! Thank you!
I'm writing mine now too.

So, just to recap, if the plug-in worked properly, then my expectations were correct, and that's what I'd get with a plug-in that works correctly, yes?

Then, 2 opposite hard-panned mono signals should show NO signal in the Mid part when soloing the Mid in the SM plug in (except for whatever frequencies or overtones they might share, which would be minimal, as in the case with flute and oboe).
Do I have this right on my end then?

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:Then, 2 opposite hard-panned mono signals should show NO signal in the Mid part when soloing the Mid in the SM plug in (except for whatever frequencies or overtones they might share, which would be minimal, as in the case with flute and oboe).
Do I have this right on my end then?
I'm not so sure. I just tried this:
•mono bass track - panned hard left
•mono test tone 400 Hz - panned hard right.
•Ozone 7 suite on Master fader. (The Ozone plugs have the option of viewing input and output as stereo or mid/side meters.)

The meters show both mid AND side content. If I solo either track, mid content still shows up even though each track is panned hard R or L. So if it's a bug, then iZotope has the same bug. So I doubt it's a bug. There's something about mid/side processing that we're not understanding here, I suspect.:?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Re: Spatial Maximizer has a bad bug / MOTU must face!!!!

Post by Phil O »

I have some more info on this, but I must get ready for work. I'll post more tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:I have some more info on this, but I must get ready for work. I'll post more tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it. 8)

Phil
The suspense!
I'm really looking forward to your info on this whenever you have time, Phil!

It would be too improbable that both plug-ins are broken...

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'll ease at least some of the suspense. I don't think anything is broken, and perhaps the tech links were premature. I have to do some hard thinking about how to present this material and some serious composition in text edit. But right now I just got out of the shower and I'm on my way out the door for tonight's gig - and I have a studio session early in the morning, so I'm sorry my friend but I'll be out until tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps another engineer here will beat me to the punch, and will probably explain it better than I could. The race is on. :dance:

see ya
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There is at least one, and possibly two issues with the plug-in. First, that the plug-in introduces significant inter-channel bleed is unacceptable and means I won't be using it. Second, is the difference between EXPECTED behavior of the MIDI solo function and the actual behavior.

But I do await an explanation on that one.

The bleed is beyond reasonable. It's not subtle.