DP's Spatial Maximizer and applied Mid/Side concepts...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spatial Maximizer has a bad bug / MOTU must face!!!!

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just my 2 cents about stereo field:
- any sound panned hard left or right, will be present in center too, according to the mixer panning law.
- pan laws vary between mixers, and of course, daws. It goes from -3dB center to -6dB center. It's a quite long story about panning coherent and incoherent sounds. AFAICR, DP pan law is -4dB center, but not sure about that.
- personally, I'd like to see a preference about panning law in DP.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

daniel.sneed wrote:Just my 2 cents about stereo field:
- any sound panned hard left or right, will be present in center too, according to the mixer panning law.
Could you elaborate on this, please?
It don't see why that would be the case. Why would a hard panned mono signal be also present in the center? If it did, then it wouldn't be hard panned by definition, yes?
daniel.sneed wrote: - pan laws vary between mixers, and of course, daws. It goes from -3dB center to -6dB center. It's a quite long story about panning coherent and incoherent sounds. AFAICR, DP pan law is -4dB center, but not sure about that.
- personally, I'd like to see a preference about panning law in DP.
But how does the pan law affect this mysterious Spatial Maximizer plug-in behaviour? Are they related?
I thought the pan law was implemented as a way to keep the apparent loudness level even as you pan a mono signal around, so it doesn't change levels too much when hard-panned vs panned center.

But I'm not an engineer, so I could definitely be wrong :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Revisiting this, with a Mid-Side mic, the mid capsule does capture side material. And when combined with the +Side and the -Side, phase cancellations create the directionality of the matrixed signal.

So, perhaps the MID channel could include the phase-"encoded" side signal-- a positive phase for left (which will cancel on the right) and a negative phase for right which will cancel on the left.

But then processes that are done on the mid will affect cancellation on the L/R. (Perhaps that also explains the immediate loss of width that the plugin inflicts.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

FM, I think we're on to something.

In real acoustic world hard panned left is around 60° from hard panned right, so in center, there IS definitely something.
In a mixer, or daw, you're right ( ! ), there should be none. (yes, I'm left...)

You are right when you wright pan laws are build *to keep the apparent loudness level even as you pan a mono signal around*. OK.
But the problem is, in real life, there are many usages of a panpot in a mixer: if left and right signals are coherent the best amount of reduction in center is around -6dB, while it's around -3dB for incoherent signals.
Any mixer, or daw, company has to pick one of those two values, or somewhere in between them.
That's where a preference in DP would be handsome.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As I understand it, a signal that is hard panned is absent from the opposite side. (i.e., not in the center, at all).

I thought that the pan law stuff had to do with compensating for the increase in level that happens when signals are panned center, and hard panned things were quieter because they didn't have the combined presence of both speakers. Or am I mixed up? (Pan not intended).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Here's a useful quote from JustMastering by Rob Stewart:

"Mid/Side" offers another perspective on Stereo. The term "Mid/Side" comes from Mid/Side recordings (more on that later), and the term is the cause some misunderstanding. When thinking about the terms "mid" and "side", one might think that the mid channel is everything that is in the middle of the sound field, but that is not true. The mid channel is actually the sum of the left and right channels together (L+R). For example, assume you have stereo track of a flute playing in the left channel, and a bass guitar playing in the right channel. If you add them together to create the "mid" channel, you will end up with a mono file that contains both the flute and the bass guitar (i.e. the sum of the two), even though neither instrument played in the middle of the sound field.

The side channel is often thought of as everything that can be heard to one side or the other of a stereo recording, but that is also not true. The side channel is simply the difference between the left and right channels (L-R). Using our flute and bass example above, the side version of this will also be a mono file which contains the flute and the bass.

In this example, if both the mid and the side end up sounding very similar, why do we get “Stereo” when we play the Left and Right channels together? This is where things get interesting, and it has to do with something called “correlation”.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

daniel.sneed wrote:FM, I think we're on to something.

In real acoustic world hard panned left is around 60° from hard panned right, so in center, there IS definitely something.
In a mixer, or daw, you're right ( ! ), there should be none. (yes, I'm left...)
Thanks, Daniel.
I thought I knew the basics of M/S, but apparently I don't really understand the details.

But you guys have been quite helpful with all your comments. I bet we'll get to the bottom of this soon.
stubbsonic wrote:As I understand it, a signal that is hard panned is absent from the opposite side. (i.e., not in the center, at all).
Same here. But to tell you the truth, now I think there are some details in the M/S concept that still elude me. I may be not getting something right.

I just tried the same test I did with a Melda plugin to access the Mid and Side, and I hear stuff in the Mid part, just like with DP's Spatial Maximizer. Hmmmm.... Mysterious...

So, unless DP's SM, Ozone, and Melda plug-ins are all wonky in this respect, I must have a misconception about what to expect and how they really work.
I don't know what to think anymore.

Hopefully Phil will chime in soon. I'm really looking forward to read this thoughts on this.
Tension level> #11 so far :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:Here's a useful quote from JustMastering by Rob Stewart:
Aha! Thank you for that, Stubbs.

So, if I'm reading that right, then what we discovered seems normal then?

But what about the channel bleed you found?

Thank you for that info, BTW!

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that doesn't explain the track bleed.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Another bug successfully crushed. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Another bug successfully crushed. :rofl:
Ha!
Yeah, I´ll probably need to change the thread title... again... For the 2nd time... :smash:

Let´s see if someone else chimes in and explains what´s going on and what´s supposed to happen and why.

MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Tubes, within tubes, within tubes... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hey, I haven't forgotten about you FM. I just got out of the studio and I got a call for some fill in work tonight. So I'm off again. :sorry:

I'll try to get back to you tomorrow. Gotta run.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:Hey, I haven't forgotten about you FM. I just got out of the studio and I got a call for some fill in work tonight. So I'm off again. :sorry:

I'll try to get back to you tomorrow. Gotta run.

Phil
Thanks for checking back, Phil.

Don't worry. Please do it whenever you have the time.
Looking forward to it, though :)

Hopefully the Imodium wasn't necessary... :lol: