Possible to Rename CC controllers for MIDI track ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Possible to Rename CC controllers for MIDI track ?

Post by Scorer »

Hi,

I assume this is not possible, but since DP has so many hidden goodies, I'd rather make sure... ;-)

Is it possible to rename the non-standard CC controllers used on a given MIDI track ?

By default the non-standard controllers are just named CC12, CC13 etc - would be great to be able to rename them for each MIDI track... memorizing what all of those CCs actually do for each instrument in a large template is not happening... :?
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Possible to Rename CC controllers for MIDI track ?

Post by reedster »

up to seven may be named

DP / Preferences / Editing / Continuous Data
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

I need more than that :)
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

:wink: Looks like you will need a cheat sheet-- that's a great alternative to memorizing them.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

yeah, that's what I've come to reside to... :?

I was spreading out the CCs over various MIDI tracks... has a few advantages, one is a dedicated name for each track ergo MIDI CC... works well on smaller projects...

but on very large templates, track count goes so crazy high for the many libs used, that I need to use 1 MIDI track with all the CC data on it... but on some libs I have 15-20 CCs per instrument...

naming CCs (per track) and persistent splines for MIDI editing would be a dream come true in DP... :love:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That makes sense. If they have the function for 8 CCs, perhaps there is an expansion that is possible.

I don't use CC's that heavily right now, but it does seem like an intriguing way to make the music richer and more dynamic.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Scorer

Post by Scorer »

yeah, most important thing is that the CCs used change for each MIDI track (--> for each instrument/articulation, or at least for each library), so I need dedicated CC labels per MIDI track.

The edit option under Preferences is only for 7 CCs and those are global labels, they'll never be useful on all libs unless you really keep them to the most standard CCs: CC1, CC7, CC11 etc.. which is what they are already set up as.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that's pretty limited. That would be a useful function for the MIDI based composer. Distinct and multiple name sets for CCs. I love it.