Feedback-Reducing Plug-In Recommendation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Feedback-Reducing Plug-In Recommendation?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi......
I'm working on audio that was recorded at a meeting where there live sound guy did his job very poorly and there is feedback recorded on the track at various times through a 1 hour program. Can anyone recommend a plug-in (native MOTU or not) that would help me reduce or eliminate this feedback from the track? I'm currently using deHum from the iZotope plug-in pack and EQ with varying levels of success.

(NOTE: I'm talking about reducing/eliminating feedback on a recording—not in a live context.)

Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Re: Feedback-Reducing Plug-In Recommendation?

Post by stubbsonic »

Does the feedback stay in a consistent sine wave and frequency? If so, use either the MW EQ (which might be useful for seeing the frequency, or the Para 2 band, and just notch out that one frequency.

If there are multiple frequencies, or if the feedback tone has some harmonics, you might have to notch out another octave, as well.

You can also help reduce some ambient blur by using a multi-band expander-- that's a great trick, but should be used with care. I used multidynamics by WaveArts- which worked pretty well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If there is feedback on a blank part of the recording, I would teach it to Denoise.

The components in RX 5 Advanced are more flexible in this regard plus, you get the stand-alone app and that is even more thorough. RX 5, likewise includes a stand-alone app with more flexibility than the plug but not as many options as 5A.

You can always take either for a test drive to see what works best.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

use the destructive audio editing in DP, just use a paramtric eq, find/ audition the frequency, notch it right out of existance just for the duration of the feedback, with a very narrow Q, hit process....done
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

dave pine wrote:use the destructive audio editing in DP, just use a paramtric eq, find/ audition the frequency, notch it right out of existance just for the duration of the feedback, with a very narrow Q, hit process....done
Thanks, Dave. Yup....did some of that. Ultimately, I used the RX Plugin Pack (which I owned) to further reduce the ringing at the worst spots and lightly overall to get rid of the subtle ringing that often lurked right under the voice. Problem solved.

I also ended up springing for the upgrade to RX5 for a different track where I really needed the spectral repair to get at some particularly annoying problems. I may try Denoise in the future. Simply didn't have time to dive into that one this time.

(BTW: The Groove3 video series on RX5 is top-notch, IMHO.)

Thanks everyone for the help!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net