Waves' C6 or Melda Productions' MAutodynamic EQ??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves' C6 or Melda Productions' MAutodynamic EQ??

Post by FMiguelez »

Ahhhh!
I'm torn between these 2.
I need a frequency-specific dynamic EQ or MB compressor that allows me to duck specific frequencies from an external side chain.
Both seem great, they seem to do what I need, plus some extras (especially the Melda one looks so deep)!

This is the Melda Production one (now at 109 dollars, but they randomly lower them to 50% every week, so you never know)>
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoDynamicEq

This is the Waves, this week for $69 from $299>
http://www.waves.com/plugins/c6-multiba ... onic-drums

What do you guys think? Do any of you have experience with both or either of them?
The Waves seems like the better deal at the moment (for a small margin), but I doubt it has all of Meldas' features. Besides, the Waves seems overpriced at its regular price, and I'm not crazy that it might still be based on the same C4 algorithm from too many years ago...
So I'd go for the better plugin, not necessarily for the best deal. Thoughts?

Or if I should consider more options, feel free to mention them, so you can confuse me more :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Prime Mover

Re: Waves' C6 or Melda Productions' MAutodynamic EQ??

Post by Prime Mover »

I love the Waves C6, and use it quite a bit because I'm very fast with their interface. If I had waited 6 months later, though, I wouldn't have gotten it because MOTUs Dynamic Equalizer they included with DP8 is very good and fairly similar. Not sure I would have much reason to leave the MOTU world for dynamic EQ these days, so unless Melda's offers something quite different, I'm not sure I would get either, though obviously you can't use the MOTU plugins outside of DP, so there is that.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Prime Mover wrote:I love the Waves C6, and use it quite a bit because I'm very fast with their interface. If I had waited 6 months later, though, I wouldn't have gotten it because MOTUs Dynamic Equalizer they included with DP8 is very good and fairly similar. Not sure I would have much reason to leave the MOTU world for dynamic EQ these days, so unless Melda's offers something quite different, I'm not sure I would get either, though obviously you can't use the MOTU plugins outside of DP, so there is that.
Thanks for your review of the C6.
Oh, I LOVE DP´s Dynamic EQ. But the only thing I'm missing, what I need, is an external side chain. If MOTU gave it one, it would be perfect!

The Melda and the Waves have it. I'm kind of like getting into some EDM, and I really need it for that (unless I can get to make Tim's and Phil O's trick work, but that will be the subject for another thread) :)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, I removed EVERYTHING "Waves" from my system and that has cured many ills. I wouldn't have a Waves plug anywhere near my rig. I believe Shooshie recently did the same.

WAVES SUCKS!

Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I've had only 1 or 2 issues in the past that I can genuinely attribute to Waves. Other than that, I've been lucky about never gotten badly WUPed.
But frankly, I can not say I'm unhappy with them. Gold was my first-ever serious bundle back when I started monkeying around with engineering. And I don't regret it.
Now I have the Platinum bundle and a few assorted ones, so I'm too deep in bed with them by now.

The only negative stuff is that I do think that I've been missing out on a lot of other great stuff, though. But that is changing soon. Like this... I also found this, and can add it to the list against the C6 or MAutoDynamics EQ...
Damn! The GUI looks fantastic, and it seems full of advanced features, like I LOVE>
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-m ... or-plug-in

It also has the external side chain thing :love:

And their EQ and compressor don't look bad either. And I also want the Slate stuff... :smash:

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I'm okay with Waves, but Melda's plugs in general are a lot more versatile, take up a lot less space and eat up a lot less CPU (they also cost a helluva lot less). Their compressor plugs are particularly decent. I've used the MAutodynamic EQ a few times and it sounds pretty good, definitely comparable to C6. You might as well snag the entire Melda package -- there's tons of great and unique plugs in the bundle and the MSynth is amazing.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

A few days ago I downloaded the demo for Melba's MVocoder and was wondering what people thought of Melda plugs generally. Glad to hear a positive report.

That said, the Fab-Filter MP does look pretty sweet.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

stubbsonic wrote:A few days ago I downloaded the demo for Melba's MVocoder and was wondering what people thought of Melda plugs generally. Glad to hear a positive report.

That said, the Fab-Filter MP does look pretty sweet.
Haven't tried out the vocoder. I have the whole bundle, but I mainly use their compressors, which are top-notch, and MSynth, which is surprisingly powerful and full-featured. Their Linear Phase Q is also outstanding.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm just starting to get my head around Melda. I used to use some of their plugs at work years ago when they were starting out and offering a lot of freebies. For some reason I got it in my head that they were kind of a fly-by-night operation. BOY WAS I WRONG, but it's taken me time to adjust my thinking.

I'm using their MVintageRotary plugin as my main Leslie now, and it absolutely kills.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The Melda stuff is incredible. I know them thanks to Radiogal.

So I bit the bullet, and I purchased the C6. I couldn't resist at that price. And I KNOW I will buy the Melda MAutodynamic plug-in anyway at some point.

Don't forget to check their site every week, since they give 4 of their products at 50% madness discount. You never know which one is next :)

billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:I've had only 1 or 2 issues in the past that I can genuinely attribute to Waves. Other than that, I've been lucky about never gotten badly WUPed.
But frankly, I can not say I'm unhappy with them. Gold was my first-ever serious bundle back when I started monkeying around with engineering. And I don't regret it.
Now I have the Platinum bundle and a few assorted ones, so I'm too deep in bed with them by now.

The only negative stuff is that I do think that I've been missing out on a lot of other great stuff, though. But that is changing soon. Like this... I also found this, and can add it to the list against the C6 or MAutoDynamics EQ...
Damn! The GUI looks fantastic, and it seems full of advanced features, like I LOVE>
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-m ... or-plug-in

It also has the external side chain thing :love:

And their EQ and compressor don't look bad either. And I also want the Slate stuff... :smash:
Waves is fine. I too have Platinum and a few other items such as SSL, but I have no desire to go past that and acquire more.

As for Fabfilter, I have their stuff, and love it. I find myself reaching for it most of the time now.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

Prime Mover wrote:I'm using their MVintageRotary plugin as my main Leslie now, and it absolutely kills.
I just picked that one up. It's currently $24.75 this week only at AudioDeluxe
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1