Slate Everything Bundle $149 special this week

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slate Everything Bundle $149 special this week

Post by David Polich »

I bought at least two Slate plugins per year until
their subscription model came out. For less than
the price of one plugin, I subscribe for the year and
get everything Slate puts out (except for their drum
stuff or their hardware solutions). No matter how
many scenarios I consider, it always comes back
to the yearly subscription being a total no-brainer.

Nothing is forever...Slate could fold, MOTU could go
out of business, an asteroid could hit the earth
and destroy life as we know it. So I dont waste
time wondering if its wiser to buy these plugs.
AFAIK it IS wiser to subscribe.

Replace every Slate plugin with something else?
No I dont think so. I dont know of any other
single plugin like VerbSuiteClassics..there isnt
one. There is no equivalent to Slate's Repeater,
or their FG-Bomber compressor. Or their Virtual
Buss Compressors collection. Trust me I've searched
and demoed.

Not that other vendors dont make great plugins.
I just doubt you'll find another vendor that offers
such a comprehensive set of tools that all sound
this good.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Fine, David, but I own a dozen reverbs that all sound real good. Also compressors, and EQs, etc., etc. I'm not worried about needing to rebuild an old project. That happens maybe once every year or two, and if and when it does, nobody - not even me - is going to notice that the VerbSuite got replaced with a Lexicon 224 emulation.

You can say that they are so unique they're irreplaceable, and I might agree on on the FG-X. But even that can be replaced with two plugs instead of one.

This endless nitpicking over the sounds of plug-ins isn't musical or creative. It's the same kind of minutiae guitar players get lost in when they start talking about not just amps, but the tubes in those amps and how far out of spec they have to drift drifted to create the Ultimate Sound.

But there isn't one. There's no ultimate sound. There's no perfect plug in. I'm a musician, not a gear head, so I can't relate. If it sounds good, it is good. If it sounds bad, it isn't.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:Nothing is forever...
My property taxes are due in 10 days. I think taxes may be the exception. :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

James Steele wrote:
David Polich wrote:Nothing is forever...
My property taxes are due in 10 days. I think taxes may be the exception. :D
True.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Gravity Jim wrote:Fine, David, but I own a dozen reverbs that all sound real good. Also compressors, and EQs, etc., etc. I'm not worried about needing to rebuild an old project. That happens maybe once every year or two, and if and when it does, nobody - not even me - is going to notice that the VerbSuite got replaced with a Lexicon 224 emulation.

You can say that they are so unique they're irreplaceable, and I might agree on on the FG-X. But even that can be replaced with two plugs instead of one.

This endless nitpicking over the sounds of plug-ins isn't musical or creative. It's the same kind of minutiae guitar players get lost in when they start talking about not just amps, but the tubes in those amps and how far out of spec they have to drift drifted to create the Ultimate Sound.

But there isn't one. There's no ultimate sound. There's no perfect plug in. I'm a musician, not a gear head, so I can't relate. If it sounds good, it is good. If it sounds bad, it isn't.
Hmm...perhaps I offended you personally. That was not the intent of my post, which I still stand by. Where else would you get a collection of several different hardware reverbs all under one roof, so to speak? If you know of one, do tell.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm merely saying that for me, the Slate Everything Bundle subscription is a really good deal and makes economic sense. Really, that's all it was. If anyone is completely happy with what they've got, then cool.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just wondering aloud here, but I recall when BIAS went out of business... wasn't there an issue with people who owned Peak not being able to authorize machines?

As far as I know, Slate is quite financially solvent, but what happens if they were to go out of business? Do the Slate plugs "phone home" via the internet to a Slate server to verify your subscription is paid up? If that were to happen... AND I'M NOT SAYING IT IS... would your subscription plugs cease to be functional?

Just wondering again. I like Steve and I'm sure his company is on solid footing but just playing devil's advocate here.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Since Slate subscription plugins are authorized
via Gobbler, I think both Slate and Gobbler
would have to go out of business before Slate
subscription plugs stopped working.

The BIAS situation left BIAS Peak users still
able to authorize Peak 7. Not any versions
before that, I think. And it is still possible to
authorize Peak 7.

UAD could go out of business and leave
all of its customers unable to authorize
their hardware and plugins. Same thing could
happen to Softtube and Waves and other
vendors. I dont spend much time contemplating
these scenarios.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Slate Everything Bundle $149 special this week

Post by James Steele »

That's good. I didn't know and I was just wondering how it authorized. I stated early in this topic that my aversion to "rent-a-plug" wasn't necessarily logical. I understand that this is a new paradigm that some developers are pushing. I have a very visceral uneasiness with it. It's sold as a convenience to users, but it seems to me it's also a way for developers to stabilize their revenue stream and not rely on new features or upgrades to bring in more income from their installed user base.

billf

Post by billf »

David Polich wrote:The BIAS situation left BIAS Peak users still
able to authorize Peak 7. Not any versions
before that, I think. And it is still possible to
authorize Peak 7.
I have Peak 6 and can authorize it.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
waxman

Post by waxman »

Had I been able to "RENT" every plug I've bought over the last 10 years I would have a fat wallet... I've spent at least double the Slate deal for 10 years just on UAD plugs. Not to mention the Waves gimmicky crap that is really just renting. A $39 special on a Waves plug lasts about 3 years then boom... they WUP YO ASS
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

James Steele wrote:Just wondering aloud here, but I recall when BIAS went out of business... wasn't there an issue with people who owned Peak not being able to authorize machines?

As far as I know, Slate is quite financially solvent, but what happens if they were to go out of business? Do the Slate plugs "phone home" via the internet to a Slate server to verify your subscription is paid up? If that were to happen... AND I'M NOT SAYING IT IS... would your subscription plugs cease to be functional?

Just wondering again. I like Steve and I'm sure his company is on solid footing but just playing devil's advocate here.
Steven Slate eats nails for breakfast. He is going to end up buying Apple, Roland, Korg and Yamaha... And Ford and Chevy!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:
James Steele wrote:Just wondering aloud here, but I recall when BIAS went out of business... wasn't there an issue with people who owned Peak not being able to authorize machines?

Steven Slate eats nails for breakfast. He is going to end up buying Apple, Roland, Korg and Yamaha... And Ford and Chevy!
It has been said... "Rust never sleeps." Sounds like Steve may have a hard time sleeping, too, given THAT diet!