Audio Still Present After Deleting (???)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AsensoryMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Still Present After Deleting (???)

Post by AsensoryMusic »

This is a strange bug...

I highlighted a section of audio in the Tracks window and hit delete. The content consists of both frozen tracks (audio) and MIDI. It appears to be deleted, nothing remains in the window, but on playback it's all still there!

Not sure if this is because they are frozen tracks or what, but I haven't seen anything like this one.
AsensoryMusic

Re: Audio Still Present After Deleting (???)

Post by AsensoryMusic »

OK I think I figured it out. Normally I would erase, but I will leave the post up for humor's sake, and in case anyone else does this. I dismiss the original MIDI/instrument tracks from the window after freezing, so make room. Those don't get erased so when I play back the tune, they play.

:oops:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check you VIEW FILTER.

CMD-F.

Long time "bug" "irregularity" and something MOTYU apparently doesn't see as a problem, even though CMD-F in every other "f"ing program is FIND. Not in DP. It's FILTER WINDOW. And if you hot the usual bottom right hand box to dismiss the dialogue, it selected ALL and you can't see your data.

Really? yeah, really.

That might not be your problem, but that's a good starting place.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Do you have Melodyne on a track? That will hold audio in the background
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

Is it in the edit buffer? If yes the soundbite will remain. Clear the buffer of the data you want to delete first by copying something you are going to keep. DP has never had a command Clear Edit Buffer. One thing I still miss from Studio Vision.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

I'm just erasing/deleting in the tracks window. Highlight, press BACKSPACE (DELETE), the end. Normally this eliminates what was there. Hit play, its gone.

But the actual instrument tracks were still there, hiding. I had forgotten to turn off the tracks by clicking on the little blue button, again, in the tracks window. I had only hidden the tracks from the track-selector so they would not clutter my space.

In another similar instance I also highlighted the ENTIRE tune and shifted the whole enchilada later by 8 bars. The cut-off point was the beginning of the track. So starting at bar 1, I moved the whole thing later by 8 bars to create 8 bars of silence in the beginning. I wanted to build a better intro.

I copied a solo "guitar" bit and pasted to the first 8 bars, hit play, and heard the WHOLE THING I had just moved. But as I said above, since the original instrument tracks were hidden (but not actually shut off), they remained in place.

What Digital Performer needs in this area is the option to shift/snip/erase/delete what is LITERALLY under the highlight, OR everything present in the zone of the track the highlight is covering. Like, you just highlight the conductor track and have the option to perform the edit over everything. That way you don't have original instrument tracks representing one version of the track and your freezes another, in the same save.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I never had a problem with "phantom" data appearing or disappearing except for the aforementioned view filter easter egg (or just a bad joke... LOL).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS