Memory Cycle & Overdub On, record goes off after first pass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stevenew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Memory Cycle & Overdub On, record goes off after first pass

Post by stevenew »

I think I am going mad...

For the first time since going over to DP9 I have set up a project to start writing a new piece. I have Memory Cycle and Overdub on, I hit record but after the first pass record goes off. It only seems to be in this project, if I create a new one it works as expected and record stays on.

What have I done? I am sure I had this once before in DP8 but I cannot remember what I did.
I have tried trashing the DP preferences file but still the same with this project.
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
FMiguelez

Re: Memory Cycle & Overdub On, record goes off after first p

Post by FMiguelez »

Could it be that auto-record (punch-in) is engaged? Check that, since it's easy to miss when various transport modes are on.
The shortcuts are a couple of the function keys, F5 or F6.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

FMiguelez wrote:Could it be that auto-record (punch-in) is engaged? Check that, since it's easy to miss when various transport modes are on.
The shortcuts are a couple of the function keys, F5 or F6.
That was one of my thoughts, but no:

Edit: Oops, for some reason image not showing! Really not my day today:-)
OK so now its showing - I really am losing it:-)
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Sometimes a project file gets corrupted. That might (or might not) be the case here, but it is highly suspicious seeing that the problem only shows up in one of your projects. I'd try loading the sequence into a new project and see if it solves the problem. It won't give you the satisfaction of knowing what went wrong, but at least maybe you can get your work done.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Phil O wrote:Sometimes a project file gets corrupted. That might (or might not) be the case here, but it is highly suspicious seeing that the problem only shows up in one of your projects. I'd try loading the sequence into a new project and see if it solves the problem. It won't give you the satisfaction of knowing what went wrong, but at least maybe you can get your work done.

Phil
Good point Phil, I will try loading the sequence into a new project later. Whenever something like this happens I am always convinced I have done some unintentional key combination.
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Loading the sequence into a new project works fine, so I guess the original project is corrupted:-( Wish I knew what I did.

A little worrying as it was my first new project with DP 9.02 and Sierra 10.12.3.