Did anyone actually got this trick to work?? {YES}

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Did anyone actually got this trick to work?? {YES}

Post by FMiguelez »

I did a quick forum search to see if I could stream my music-import workflow.

What I want is to import a bunch of tracks from the Finder, by dragging them into DP, and that it places them all in ONE (existing or non-existing) audio track one after the other (butted together end to beginning). The order is not too important.
I can't figure it out...
I could do it manually, "throwing" each track one by one to get them to butt perfectly against each other, but I'd rather have DP do it automatically, if there's a way.

This is the most relevant thread I found, and I was delighted that there is a way to apparently do it, but I can't get it to work (the OP wanted the same thing)... Even if I do as magicd suggests, they all go into one track but one over the other, instead of next to each other.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60336#p511952
magicd wrote:There's actually a very easy way to do this. Open the Event Editor for the audio track and drag the soundbites into there. The soundbites will be all in a row, perfectly butted up against each other.

Dave
Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Last edited by FMiguelez on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Robert Randolph

Re: Did anyone actually got this trick to work??

Post by Robert Randolph »

Drag the files to the soundbites window first, then from the soundbites window to the Event List.

Also, I think this is likely a bug that it doesn't work dragging from Finder. Maybe worth reporting that.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just did a quick test in DP 8.07.

First time, dragging two wav files crashed DP.

Second time, dragged two files in, only one appeared.

Third time, dragged one at a time, and they did what you want.

Fourth time, dragged two more in, both appeared on the same time location.

So there's a nice variety there for you.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

stubbsonic wrote:Just did a quick test in DP 8.07.

I opened DP to make sure I knew how to do this (dragging from soundbites window instead)... and DP crashed twice on me trying to import. :(

I turned off automatic beat analyzing and it stopped crashing. It seems to only happen when dragging from finder.

I'm on 9.02.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it but I'm not in the studio until this evening.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I drag one or more from Finder all the time without issue, but DP creates a new track for each WAV file.

Does not work when dragging directly from a USB Stick for me, so I first drag files to my work SSD from which they import into DP perfectly by drag n drop.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it but I'm not in the studio until this evening.
*ahem*
Robert Randolph wrote:Drag the files to the soundbites window first, then from the soundbites window to the Event List.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Robert Randolph wrote:Drag the files to the soundbites window first, then from the soundbites window to the Event List.

Also, I think this is likely a bug that it doesn't work dragging from Finder. Maybe worth reporting that.
Thank you, Robert!
You're right, as usual. I just tried it like that, and bam! There they go.

I'm happy. It works well enough for what I want. Gracias! :)

This should work from the Finder, as magicd meant in his response. I wonder when this stopped working properly? I've noticed lots of crashes during audio-import tasks, like some of you reported.

It would be nice if DP would use the SAME FINDER ORDER to decide how to put them together in the track 8)
stubbsonic wrote:Just did a quick test in DP 8.07.

Aha!
Thank you for your tests. Like you said, that little variation can be handy.

So, summarizing>
-- With DP9.02 one needs to import the audio files first, and then drag them from the SBs window into the Event List window of the audio track where one wants to join them all.

-- Any more track(s) added like this keep getting added to the left, perfectly butted against each other

-- This does not work from the Finder, as it should

Nice. Thank you all!
:rtfmmad:
I doubt this is in the manual, BTW...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Robert Randolph

FMiguelez wrote:
:rtfmmad:
I doubt this is in the manual, BTW...
Since you mentioned this, I had to look...

It's on pg. 402 in the DP 9 user guide under "Dragging soundbites into the Event List". It even explicitly says to drag from another window "such as the Soundbites window."

I think we're all guilty of RTFM here. I just happened to have been the idiot that smashed headfirst in to this and struggled to figure it out first :lol:

Regardless, it should work from finder. Importing stuff in to DP is always such a pain, and this is just another instance :(