Adjust bite volume key binding not working

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Hattonkeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Adjust bite volume key binding not working

Post by Hattonkeys »

I am using DP9.12 on a Mac OS 10.11.6 and trying to adjust the bite volume in the Sequence window using the given key binding (Control-Shift-up or down arrow). It does not work, although it does zoom out to all open program windows on my Mac.

It seems like every other conceivable key binding is taken by DP already or else I would choose another.

Anyone else have this problem? it is driving me crazy. I would like to use this technique and compare the physical size of the waveforms rather than having to use volume automation lanes.

Thanks,
Chris
HCMarkus

Re: Adjust bite volume key binding not working

Post by HCMarkus »

Pick a current key binding that you will never use, delete it, and reassign to your chosen task.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I believe sometimes you can go to the Mac OS system preferences and open Keyboard, then click on the Shortcuts tab. From there you can browse through the key combinations that are used by the system and turn off the ones you never use. I turned quite a few of them off.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

I think it's ctrl-shift-alt up or down. Not by my Mac so I might be wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Hattonkeys

Post by Hattonkeys »

Thank you for your responses! I was able to turn off the offending Mac shortcuts, and now I have a new problem. When I use the control-shift up or down arrow with the bite selected, I see that something is happening from the top menu, but the waveform does not change in size no matter how many times I repeat the operation.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I replied to your other thread on the same subject with what I think is helpful info.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

When I use the control-shift up or down arrow with the bite selected, I see that something is happening from the top menu, but the waveform does not change in size no matter how many times I repeat the operation.
I think you are confusing 'bite volume' with 'bite gain'. Bite gain will visibly make the wave form bigger or smaller, but bite volume is a primary realtime volume automation layer, actually within the soundbite. The blue flashing in the 'audio' segment of the main menu is signifying an overall +0.5dB or -0.5dB adjustment to the bite volume of the soundbite, which you can't see it unless you open up an automation lane on the relevant track and change it from the default 'volume' lane to the 'bite volume' lane.

The significant difference here is that it is a realtime automation to the bite volume, which can be constantly variable, i.e. you can even draw in the automation using the pencil tool. This is great if you want to automate volume pre plugin. If you want to visualise the change in the waveform the merge the soundbite (shift alt M) and the waveform will change accordingly. If you want to see the waveform adjust, the shortest route is to use Bite Gain adjustment.

In short bite gain and bite volume are different features. Shift-Ctrl-Alt and up/down arrows adjust this

Hope this helps
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/