DP 9.12 Not Compatible with Studiomux?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.12 Not Compatible with Studiomux?

Post by Babz »

Is anyone using Studiomux with DP 9.12?

I use a plugin called Studiomux which allows you to send MIDI and audio between an iPad and your DAW.

It has worked great for me in the past, but I just tried to use Studiomux and MIDI works fine, but now audio responds with about a full second of latency. (Changing buffers in DP and on the iPad makes no difference.)

I recently updated a bunch of things, including my Mac OS to El Capitan, and updating all my drivers for my MOTU hardware, and updating all my NI Komplete Ultimate, and other stuff.... And I also made the jump from DP 9.02 to DP 9.12. All of this over the last few weeks, months...

After much systematic troubleshooting, trying to pinpoint which of the many changes I made might be the source of the problem, I decided to try downgrading to DP 9.02 (fortunately I kept a copy on my HD). Latency problem gone!

So I'm wondering is this something about 9.12's "NextGen PreGen" or what? Is Studiomux just one of those plugins that is incompatible with DP 9.12? Is there anything I can do, or am I SOL?

I will try calling MOTU Tech Support tomorrow, and I sent an email to Studiomux support, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone else can replicate the problem.

Thanks,
Babz

P.S. No latency with MusicIO (another app that does the same thing). Unfortunately, MusicIO has other issues (audio pops and glitches), so I can't use it either. :cry:
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.12 Not Compatible with Studiomux?

Post by mikehalloran »

Fortunately, 9.02 is still available for download if a person needs to,
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Babz

Post by Babz »

mikehalloran wrote:Fortunately, 9.02 is still available for download if a person needs to,
Yes, I always rename the old version before I install an update, so I still have 9.02 on my HD. But I would hate to have to downgrade just for one plugin.

Fortunately, I found a workaround!

It seems that as of El Capitan, there is an option in OS X's Audio MIDI Setup: Window->Show iOS Browser->Enable which allows you to add the iPad as an Audio Device.

Then you go into DP and enable the iPad as follows: Setup -> Configure Audio System -> Configure Hardware Driver. You don't even need to have created an Aggregate Device. If you are using an audio interface (828mk3 in my case), just hold Command to select more than one Audio Device (in my case the 828mk3 and the iPad).

Now the iPad can be chosen as an input source for an Aux or Audio track in DP. Works great! No latency. Great sound. Problem solved!

This effectively makes Studiomux and MusicIO obsolete. You still need MIDImux (which is FREE, currently) to route MIDI to the iPad, but audio can be handled via OS X and Audio MIDI Setup.

Incidentally, I heard back from Studiomux tech support about this, and they are just about ready to release a new update. I told them about the problem w/ Next-Gen Pre-Gen and DP and advised them to contact MOTU about it. I'm not sure that it's needed, or if I should bother to inform MOTU about it, however, now that we have this workaround.

Best,
Babz
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote: Then you go into DP and enable the iPad as follows: Setup -> Configure Audio System -> Configure Hardware Driver. You don't even need to have created an Aggregate Device. If you are using an audio interface (828mk3 in my case), just hold Command to select more than one Audio Device (in my case the 828mk3 and the iPad).

Now the iPad can be chosen as an input source for an Aux or Audio track in DP. Works great! No latency. Great sound. Problem solved!
This is very cool, and my iPad shows up as an Audio Device, but when I hit the "enable" button nothing happens. The dialog says over "lighting to USB" cable. I have an iPad 2, which is 30 pin only. What kind of iPad do you have?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz

Post by Babz »

cuttime wrote: This is very cool, and my iPad shows up as an Audio Device, but when I hit the "enable" button nothing happens. The dialog says over "lighting to USB" cable. I have an iPad 2, which is 30 pin only. What kind of iPad do you have?
I have an iPad Air 1 (which is Lightning) with the latest version of iOS, and I'm using the last version of El Capitan on the Mac side. It may be that it only works with the later lightning iPads. :?:

This article (with embedded video) shows how it works using Logic as an example. It works the same w/ DP except in Logic the iPad is detected automatically. In DP you have to do the Configure Hardware Driver step.

http://audionewsroom.net/2015/10/how-to ... audio.html

It IS very cool! Great way to route your audio from your iPad to Mac digitally. It's been possible for years -- who knew?!

Best,
Babz
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote: This article (with embedded video) shows how it works using Logic as an example. It works the same w/ DP except in Logic the iPad is detected automatically. In DP you have to do the Configure Hardware Driver step.

http://audionewsroom.net/2015/10/how-to ... audio.html
Thanks for the link. I see in one of the comments that someone else can't get it to work with an iPad 2. Oh, well...
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote: Thanks for the link. I see in one of the comments that someone else can't get it to work with an iPad 2. Oh, well...
I've not met anything with a 30pin connector that didn't work through the 30pin to lightening adapter. I sold my 1st gen iPad last year so I can't test it.

Since so many of those devices have been abandoned as obsolete, you might be able to pick an adapter and cable up for a few bucks or know someone who will lend you one.

If you lived near me, I'd loan you the one I use with my Line6 keyboard to check it out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Babz

Post by Babz »

mikehalloran wrote:
cuttime wrote: Thanks for the link. I see in one of the comments that someone else can't get it to work with an iPad 2. Oh, well...
I've not met anything with a 30pin connector that didn't work through the 30pin to lightening adapter. I sold my 1st gen iPad last year so I can't test it.

Since so many of those devices have been abandoned as obsolete, you might be able to pick an adapter and cable up for a few bucks or know someone who will lend you one.

If you lived near me, I'd loan you the one I use with my Line6 keyboard to check it out.
A very kind thought. But in this case it is just a direct connection from the iPad to the Mac's USB port using a standard charging cable. No place to adapt as far as I can see. The Line 6 is sending MIDI *into* the iPad. But this is audio coming OUT of the iPad and into the Mac.

Maybe if you went from to the 30-pin to USB cable to some sort of USB to lightning cable (maybe the Camera Connection Kit?) and then some sort of lightning female to USB male cable into the Mac (if such a thing exists)? I'm having a hard time envisioning it. But there might be a way. :roll: