Parameter linking between separate plugin instances?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mwilloam
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Parameter linking between separate plugin instances?

Post by mwilloam »

Say I have 3 vocal tracks and each has its own instance of a compressor(ie motu dynamics), is there a way to link say, the thresholds so adjustments to one adjust all 3? I know similar but not equal alternatives are bussing to an aux group, automation, copy/paste but not the same either for how it would react(aux) or amounts of steps(copy-paste/auto). Just curious if someone has discovered a creative workaround or, would find it useful.
philbrown

Re: Parameter linking between separate plugin instances?

Post by philbrown »

I own a lot of plugs and I'm not aware of any MOTU or 3rd party plugs that have that capability. To answer your last question, I've never seen any need for that capability.

There are plugs that have interconnectivity though– I believe Slate's console plugs can 'talk' to each other for example, but that's not really the same thing you are describing.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Melda talks about MIDI controllers controlling any parameter, but it's a feature I've never explored. I don't know if you can control multiple plugins with a single MIDI signal or not. Or if you could use a MIDI track to control a plugin (or multiple plugins)... Just thinking out loud.

BTW, Melda has some pretty good stuff at reasonable prices.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

Hi,
you can assign a MIDI controller to different plugins at the same time. Just hit MIDI learn at one Plugin and go to console to duplicate the settings. After that you can go to "control assignment" and choose the target track...
Hope that helps... :-)
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

Excuse my bad english. I´m just a german.
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

kazuya wrote:Hi,
you can assign a MIDI controller to different plugins at the same time. Just hit MIDI learn at one Plugin and go to console to duplicate the settings. After that you can go to "control assignment" and choose the target track...
Hope that helps... :-)
Interesting, I just realized that was there. For others:

https://youtu.be/Uyt5SA-KDyI?t=47s

That's a decent workaround albeit not perfect as it(i guess) requires an external controller. Would be nice to be able to control from a MIDI track fader.

I had the idea from working in Machfive/Falcon where you can create macros to do all sorts of stuff. So yeah, I guess it is just a macro.

Appreciate the replies and ideas.
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

If you work in the "console" you can assign a MIDI track. You do not need an external controller.
I try to attach a picture. If it works you see 2 knobs in the console. One is the master. The second one is the slave with values set to negative. The first one is controlled by the MIDI track.
Now i can control 2 Proverbs with just one MIDI track. In this case i can crossfade between a big room and a smaller room on proverb nr.2

/Users/kazuya/Desktop/Console.png
DP 9.12 // MacPro 8-Core 2,26 // OSX 10.11.6 // 32 GB RAM // UAD-2 // PSP // Sonnox // 828 MK-II // Altiverb 6 // MachFive 2 // iZotope // ...

mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

kazuya wrote:If you work in the "console" you can assign a MIDI track. You do not need an external controller.
I try to attach a picture. If it works you see 2 knobs in the console. One is the master. The second one is the slave with values set to negative. The first one is controlled by the MIDI track.
Now i can control 2 Proverbs with just one MIDI track. In this case i can crossfade between a big room and a smaller room on proverb nr.2

/Users/kazuya/Desktop/Console.png
Very cool thanks. Sorry I didn't read the details in your last post. So yeah, that should pretty much work! Definitely opens some additional doors for mixing in DP. Thanks again.
kazuya

Post by kazuya »

Your welcome. Also inspired me to think about some "console tricks" :-)