Positive gain follower...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Positive gain follower...

Post by Prime Mover »

I often have need for a curious side-chain dynamics process that I'm not sure how to accomplish with traditional dynamics tools. In my field recordings, I often have to chop off the low end due to distant traffic and wind. So I commonly fill in the low frequencies with filtered brown noise, but I want the volume level to follow the level of the higher end material. I've been able get by with a side-chained expander (usually WAVES RComp with a positive ratio), but the results aren't very good because expanders generally only have logarithmic gain expansion and I'd rather use something that's designed more for this purpose.

Hard to explain, really. What I need is sort of like the opposite of ducking, so like a gate, but without the binary on/off qualities.

Any thoughts?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Phil O

Re: Positive gain follower...

Post by Phil O »

I think someone asked about this once before (sorry I can't remember who). I seem to recall there was a plugin that did exactly what you're looking for. Search terms will be difficult on this one, but a search here might be worth it. Sorry I can't point you directly at it.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have had good success using a multiband dynamics (I used WaveArts MultiDynamics)- essentially, creating a multi-band expander with look-ahead. It works like noise-reduction and can reduce ambient room reflection as well. No side chain required.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Prime Mover - sent you a PM.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

In the modular synth world you would use an 'envelope follower' for that. There are more and more software emulations of synth modules. Maybe the modular synth could generate the 'brown noise' as well, that seems like the most logical approach– you'd have noise and filter options built-in. I'm not sure which of the software emulations have an envelope follower module though. Reaktor has something called 'Blocks' but I'm not really up on the software emulations world as I use a hardware modular.

If this approach interests you I can ask on my modular synth group for more specifics or other ideas.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Reaktor Blocks has a lot of modules but not an envelope follower.
I did find this, though:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Au ... ation-OSX/
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

White Noise. Pink Noise. Never heard the term "Brown Noise" before and, though I surmise (not yet having taken the time to Google the term) it refers to noise with greater low-frequency emphasis, I must admit that it elicits somewhat disturbing images, possibly unfit for a forum of this decorum.

OTOH, Pink Noise could be a tad suggestive, too... :sorry:

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_noise

Apologies to Mr. Brown. He was clearly a mover and a shaker.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

What about this:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_DPeakMeterPro/

From the features list:
• Record measurements (peak, RMS, crest factor, clip etc.) as automation curves.

Doesn't sound like it will work in real time, but it may be a workaround.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wait. I lied. Just found this in the description:

"All envelopes (peak, RMS, crest factor...) can be reused for additional monitoring or side chaining purposes: combined together, reversed, modified and recorded as automation curves or sent as MIDI CC messages, they can control other effects in real time."