Seeking Advice on Clean Install

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Seeking Advice on Clean Install

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi folks......
I'm planning on upgrading my late-2013 Mac Pro from El Cap to Sierra. I haven't done a clean system install since I got this machine, so it's time.

I've built a boot drive to install Sierra… but before I do, I'm wondering if there are any re-installs or (re-) authorizations that are tricky or I should be concerned about. (i.e. are there some I should DE-install or DE-authorize before wiping my HD?)

I'm running....
• DP 9.12
• Spectrasonics VIs (Omnisphere 2.x, Trillian, Stylus RMX)
• NI Komplete 10 (not ultimate)
• MachFive 3 v3.2.1
• East-West Play 5.0
• XLN Audio Addictive Keys
• UVI Workstation
• Papen Punch BD
• Waves Electric 200 & Electric Grand
• Plug-ins (too many to list) include Waves 9, Brainworx, Wavesfactory, Vengeance, PSP, UVI, NI, Valhalla DSP, Eventide, Lexicon, Stilwell Audio, iZotope, and others
• I have an iLok account and have some iLok plugs registered to the physical USB key and others registered to my HD

I also am running Finale 2014.5 and Avid MediaComposer on this machine.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Seeking Advice on Clean Install

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In my experience, if the installs are going to transfer they are going to transfer. If not, only a handful will require reauthorization. Warning: some authorization software may not run on Sierra, so if you remove the authorization and can't then run the authorization app, you're screwed.

I would just do the clean install and deal with the authorizations on a need-to-reauthorize basis. Someone is about to post that I am wrong. Will ignore them. LOL

I've been there before and will be doing the same thing in a few months, updating all my HDs to 4TB spinners (except the boot drive, which is a proprietary SSD and damn expensive to replace/upgrade.

They don't call it a trash can for nothing!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

1) Deauthorize any internet authorizations that let you do so. For me that would be Finale, Final Draft and Masterwriter 2. This is not an issue with DP 8 or 9.

iLok authorizations aren't an issue, likewise any that authorize on the machine. As for the rest, I never find it a problem—take them one at a time. Isotope, PSP etc. simply meant another trip to the web site where I downloaded the license files again. Wasn't a problem. The NI authorization manager shouldn't give you grief, either.

I don't believe in clean installs and normally use Migration Assistant to pull everything over. Still do step (1).

If you are still using certain old applications such as DP 7.24, Office 2008 and certain Adobe products, then Migration Assistant is the only way to get them to work on your new system since the installers no longer work correctly—and haven't in awhile—but pulling them from your old Mac or a Time Machine backup works.

It wasn't a bad idea when I was forced to do one in 2014 since I hadn't done one in over 20 years. There was a ton of PPC crap to remove. If you did one in 2013, I don't see any real benefit. It will take a long time, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:1) Deauthorize any internet authorizations that let you do so. For me that would be Finale, Final Draft and Masterwriter 2. This is not an issue with DP 8 or 9.

iLok authorizations aren't an issue, likewise any that authorize on the machine. As for the rest, I never find it a problem—take them one at a time. Isotope, PSP etc. simply meant another trip to the web site where I downloaded the license files again. Wasn't a problem. The NI authorization manager shouldn't give you grief, either.

I don't believe in clean installs and normally use Migration Assistant to pull everything over. Still do step (1).

If you are still using certain old applications such as DP 7.24, Office 2008 and certain Adobe products, then Migration Assistant is the only way to get them to work on your new system since the installers no longer work correctly—and haven't in awhile—but pulling them from your old Mac or a Time Machine backup works.

It wasn't a bad idea when I was forced to do one in 2014 since I hadn't done one in over 20 years. There was a ton of PPC crap to remove. If you did one in 2013, I don't see any real benefit. It will take a long time, however.
Thanks for the sage advice, Mike. I will look into migration assistant. Two things I neglected to mention:
1. All my VI sample files are on external SSDs, so I don't plan to re-install them.
2. I have had some persistent oddities in DP (bypass automation disappearing from random plug-ins, that sort of thing). MOTU tech support recommended I rebuild my user account and, once I started doing that, a clean install seemed like not much more effort for a better result.

I understand it will take days and plan to wait until after my current projects have all been approved and closed.

Thanks again......
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I was very pleasantly surprised when a simple OS update from Mountain Lion to Sierra worked without apparent issue on my studio Mac. You might give it a try Rick; worst case is it doesn't work and you then spend the time you will be spending doing a clean install. If all goes well, well... happiness!

:smash:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote:I was very pleasantly surprised when a simple OS update from Mountain Lion to Sierra worked without apparent issue on my studio Mac. You might give it a try Rick; worst case is it doesn't work and you then spend the time you will be spending doing a clean install. If all goes well, well... happiness!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm tempted to try it.
Rick Cornish

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I was very pleasantly surprised when a simple OS update from Mountain Lion to Sierra worked without apparent issue on my studio Mac. You might give it a try Rick; worst case is it doesn't work and you then spend the time you will be spending doing a clean install. If all goes well, well... happiness!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm tempted to try it.
Clone your good system drive first for safety. To keep my concerns (possibly aka "paranoia") at bay, I first cloned my known good drive too a second drive, then updated the clone and tested how DP ran. Only when all seemed well did I update my actual system drive, but only after re-cloning it in its original state to the second drive just in case.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31