Patch names

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Yiannis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Patch names

Post by Yiannis »

Hi.......

does anyone know how to make Korg Pa 4x patch names appear in Dp 9?
:)
-----------------------------------------

I am a very happy DAD.

MacPro 3.33Ghz 6core-32g Ram-10T HDs-10.12.6-Dp-10.0.1.
Korg Kronos 2-Korg Pa4X-Ensonic TS 10-Korg T3-Yamaha Dx 7iiFD-Akai S3000xl-Roland JV 2080
Genelec 1031A with KRK 10S sub-Yamaha NS10m
ULN-2..Tubetech Lca2B-Avalon 737sp-HEDD 192-Lexicon PCM 90.
Soundcraft Sapphyre 28ch
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Patch names

Post by terrybritton »

Yiannis wrote:Hi.......

See if you can find the .midnam files for that model that lists the patches. You will also need a .middev file for the hardware description itself. I do not know where those go on a Mac, but they are text files and on Windows they go into these folders:

.middev: C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\MIDI Devices\Motu
.midnam: C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\MIDI Devices\Motu\Korg

I did check and did not see the PA4X listed as one offered already by MOTU.

If you would endeavor to make your own, I can provide a link for you to see sample files you can use as models to build them. They are basically like XML files.

Once you have these in place, the synth model name will appear in the dropdown menu in the instrument setup pages.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

terrybritton wrote:
Yiannis wrote:Hi.......

See if you can find the .midnam files for that model that lists the patches. You will also need a .middev file for the hardware description itself. I do not know where those go on a Mac, but they are text files and on Windows they go into these folders:

.middev: C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\MIDI Devices\Motu
.midnam: C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\MIDI Devices\Motu\Korg

I did check and did not see the PA4X listed as one offered already by MOTU.

If you would endeavor to make your own, I can provide a link for you to see sample files you can use as models to build them. They are basically like XML files.

Once you have these in place, the synth model name will appear in the dropdown menu in the instrument setup pages.

Terry
FYI: On a mac these files are located at /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/
Be aware that if you create custom .middev and/or .midnam files, any upgrade to DP will wipe them out. Be sure to back them up before installing.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

cleamon wrote: FYI: On a mac these files are located at /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/
Be aware that if you create custom .middev and/or .midnam files, any upgrade to DP will wipe them out. Be sure to back them up before installing.
Yes, Chuck, I've always wondered whether DP respected a "User" folder on Macs for these things. Thanks for mentioning that! I do not think updates wipe the custom ones out in the Windows version, but you've impelled me to make more backups of mine!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

cleamon

Post by cleamon »

terrybritton wrote:
cleamon wrote: FYI: On a mac these files are located at /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/
Yes, Chuck, I've always wondered whether DP respected a "User" folder on Macs for these things. Thanks for mentioning that! I do not think updates wipe the custom ones out in the Windows version, but you've impelled me to make more backups of mine!

Terry
At least as far as I've updated (8.07) on the mac, they do indeed replace that folder in it's entirely with every install/update. I've had to restore my backups more than once. I've suggested that they implement some way to preserve user created files (i.e. anything in a specific folder like "UserMidiDevices"), but to no avail.
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

terrybritton wrote:

Terry
Thanks Terry.......yes please I will give it a try.. :)

I am a very happy DAD.

Korg Kronos 2-Korg Pa4X-Ensonic TS 10-Korg T3-Yamaha Dx 7iiFD-Akai S3000xl-Roland JV 2080
Soundcraft Sapphyre 28ch
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

There are other examples in the folder Chuck referenced that perhaps would serve as better models for your synth, but here is a zip with several versions of the file for my Wavestation "Original" and SR, so you can see what fields receive changes by comparing them.

http://terrybritton.com/Korg.zip

You may be able to concoct some RegEx script to speed things up with the editing.

Your existing Korg.middev file likely only needs your synth to be added following the format of the other entries.

Hunt around any disks that may have come with the synth to see if they supplied the .midnam and .middev files hidden in some "Extras" folder!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

You can use Cherry Picker to create your own patch lists fo DP. Here is my EM article from 10 years ago on how to do it:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/na ... atch/37935

You can get Cherry Picker from this link:

http://www.motunation.com/files/CherryPicker3.zip

I used it as recently as last fall to create a patch list for the a Yamaha MOXF synths.

If you do manage to create a good working patch list, please do what I did and send it to the good folks at this link, so that it can be made available to other users who might need it in the future:

http://digicake.com/midnams/

Best,
Babz
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Babz wrote:You can use Cherry Picker to create your own patch lists fo DP. Here is my EM article from 10 years ago on how to do it:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/na ... atch/37935

You can get Cherry Picker from this link:

http://www.motunation.com/files/CherryPicker3.zip

I used it as recently as last fall to create a patch list for the a Yamaha MOXF synths.

If you do manage to create a good working patch list, please do what I did and send it to the good folks at this link, so that it can be made available to other users who might need it in the future:

http://digicake.com/midnams/

Best,
Babz
I find it odd (and a PITA) that Apple adopted this scheme for "universal MIDI patch list" management, and yet their flag ship DAW, Logic Pro X, does not use it.
Chuck
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

Cherry Picker is not supported under 10.9.5.... :|

I am a very happy DAD.

Soundcraft Sapphyre 28ch
Babz

Post by Babz »

Yiannis wrote:Cherry Picker is not supported under 10.9.5.... :|
Did you try the version of Cherry Picker from the link I posted?

The last *official* release didn't support new Mac OS, but that link that I posted is for a special version later hacked by Rob Martin to work on more recent versions of the OS. It's not officially supported, but users have reported it working w/ post-Rosetta Mac OS. I used it under Mountain Lion.
Last edited by Babz on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

Babz wrote:
Did you try the version of Cherry Picker from the link I posted?

The last *official* release didn't support new Mac OS, but that link is for a special version later hacked by Rob Martin to work on more recent versions of the OS. It's not officially supported, but users have reported it working w/ post-Rosetta Mac OS. I used it under Mountain Lion.
Ooopss......yes it does!!!Thank you very much. :D

I am a very happy DAD.

Soundcraft Sapphyre 28ch
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Babz wrote:...that link that I posted is for a special version later hacked by Rob Martin to work on more recent versions of the OS. It's not officially supported, but users have reported it working w/ post-Rosetta Mac OS. I used it under Mountain Lion.
Thank you Babz. I didn't even know this existed. Haven't used Cherry Picker in some time cause I thought it was dead. I'll give this a try.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Phil O wrote:]Thank you Babz. I didn't even know this existed. Haven't used Cherry Picker in some time cause I thought it was dead. I'll give this a try.

Phil
Thanks go to James Steele. He tracked down Rob and got a hold of a special unofficial 3.0 version that was hacked by Rob for his own use but not really intended for distribution to the public. I just recently updated from ML to El Cap, but have not had a chance to check Cherry Picker yet, other than to report that I was able to launch it without crashing. I would be curious to hear any reports of anyone using it under El Capitan or Yosemite.

This is what James wrote back in August 2016 about the matter:

"Not a lot of people do know... and I guess it's not been well publicized. I got a hold of the author a while back and he released a new version with the caveat that it had some behind the scenes issues that only a programmer might be bothered by, but frankly laymen don't see them.

I just checked and it launched and ran under El Cap, and I have used it regularly on my MacBook with Yosemite...."

Best,
Babz