Understanding lookahead

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Understanding lookahead

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Interesting though. I had always assumed look ahead was just there so the audio engine would know a peak was coming, not so it could actually suppress the attack before it happens. It that done to simulate the poor transient response of some analog equipment?
It is done so that the transient can actually remain somewhat intact even if gain-reduced. The transient can keep it's basic shape. It allows a compressor to be even more transparent and less noticeable.

It is kind of fun to exaggerate the settings to see what kinds of textures you can wring out of it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Maxxy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Understanding lookahead

Post by Maxxy »

bayswater wrote:
Interesting though. I had always assumed look ahead was just there so the audio engine would know a peak was coming, not so it could actually suppress the attack before it happens.
Was my understanding too bayswater ( :
stubbsonic wrote:
It is done so that the transient can actually remain somewhat intact even if gain-reduced. The transient can keep it's basic shape. It allows a compressor to be even more transparent and less noticeable.

It is kind of fun to exaggerate the settings to see what kinds of textures you can wring out of it.
Great insight stubbsonic and well explained....thanks a lot
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control