Master Fader- when and why?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Master Fader- when and why?

Post by SMS »

When I have multiple sequences for a project, I keep them in one project file, and use a VRack for end-of-chain processing that I want to keep consistent for all the sequences in the project.

I route all tracks and submixing busses in each sequence to a stereo buss named "MIX".

In the VRack, I have a stereo aux that receives "MIX" from the sequence(s), outputs to another stereo buss named "MON/PRINT" so, if needed, I can print the mix to a stereo track in the sequence. This aux is where I put a buss compressor, etc., and the last plug is a trim plug to control final level. I then have a second stereo aux in the VRack that receives "MON/PRINT" and outputs to the main outs of my 828, or can be switched to phones, controlling monitoring level and destination.

But since you can't automate VRack auxes I added a third stereo bus, named "StereoAuto" with a corresponding aux track in each sequence for just that purpose.

So my final routing, through three stereo busses, is:

All tracks and submixing busses > "Mix" buss > sequence Aux track outputting to"StereoAuto" buss > VRack Aux track with processing and trim outputting to"Mon/Print" buss > VRack aux track outputting to interface Main Outs or Phones.

So my questions are: is there a simpler way to do this, and do I need a Master Fader somewhere? The manual says always use a Master Fader to control overall level, isn't my "Mon/Print" aux fader and/or trim plug on that strip doing the same thing?

Hope this is clear. It's confusing to me and I set it up!

Thanks

Bill Spencer
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Phil O

Re: Master Fader- when and why?

Post by Phil O »

There are obvious differences between Aux and Master faders. For example a Master fader has no input assignment. It essentially has input and output set to the same bus. A Master fader has a fold down setting; Aux does not. Aux faders have sends; Masters do not. (Probably some things I forgot to mention as well.)
But, there are some less obvious things. From the manual:
Alternately, the effect can be placed on an aux track, either in a chunk or a V-rack, with bussing used to access the effect. Aux track effects are always rendered in real- time.
There are also discussions here about latency compensation and Aux tracks.

I don't pretend to understand all the subtleties of Aux vs Master faders, but some of these things may dictate how to choose the best options for your workflow.

My workflow also incorporates a bus named "mix" (I use lower case for bus names). There's an Aux named "Monitors" with its input set to mix and output set to my monitors (essentially a volume control or mute for the monitors). The mix bus has a Master fader which is usually set to 0 dB and has no plugins, so it does absolutely nothing most of the time. But, if I need to tweak the overall mix level or need some plugin on the mix bus, it's in place and ready for the task. It also allows me to check the mix in mono very quickly (mono fold down).

So do you NEED a Master fader? I guess it all depends on your work flow.
Is there a simpler way to do this? Could be, but what you have set up now is par for the course. Sounds pretty simple to me. If it's working for you don't fix what ain't broken. JMHO.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I think you can get pretty much the same results using aux v. master. With aux you route specific tracks for processing those specific tracks which eventually get fed to the main out. Master faders process the whole mix. On top of that, you can have multiple master faders although that doesn't make a lot of sense in most instances. I'd just as soon make multiple copies of the sequence and process those differently since that doesn't add much data to the project.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks, guys.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

If you set and enable multiple V-racks with one master fader in each (set to the exact same outputs), then only one V-rack will be active at once.
AFAICR, it's the first top V-rack. In case of doubt, very easy to check, for sure.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...