Dithering on High Sample Rate VIs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Dithering on High Sample Rate VIs

Post by Scorer »

Hi guys,

I have a question about dithering and whether there is a need for it in my case. I've searched a bit before and read some threads and posts, but still a little bit unclear about when dithering is needed or not.

I have a DP9 orchestral project here. The project is 24bit 48kHz. Most of the libs used include samples that are 24bit 48kHz or less.

Spitfire Mural and Sable samples are 24bit 96kHz, so a higher sample rate than what the project is set to.

First noob question: does dither also address sample rate conversions or only bit depth conversions ?

And if sample rate, should I include a dithering plug on the Spitfire VI tracks when I print them to audio stems ?

Thanks !
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dithering on High Sample Rate VIs

Post by Robert Randolph »

Dither is for bit depth changes only.
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

thank you, Robert !
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

Good Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) should be well-built into those sample playing VI's so it is handled in a high-fidelity way behind the scenes. However, because some SRC takes some processing time, I wonder if it is handled well when done in realtime.

I think in this case, if it ain't broke, don't fix.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

well, funny you mention that. with Spitfire Mural & Sable (not with any of the other string libs) I get clicks & pops (on legato transitions) when playing back 4 or more tracks simultaneously in a 24bit 96kHz project on this monster machine...

with all other string libs, I play back 30-40 tracks at the same time w/o problems. Everything is loaded in RAM.

It has to be the way Spitfire structure their files.

Switching to a 24bit 48kHz project helped a bit, but it still pops up, especially when playing Mural & Sable together. Had to freeze those tracks which is a major workflow killer, and will make me use those libs much less.

Every time u change the MIDI u gotta freeze again (and you have to make sure you freeze them without pops). Huge PITA.