Need tips on how to work with a Cubase user

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Need tips on how to work with a Cubase user

Post by labman »

I am collaborating on a few jobs with a fellow mac user who uses Cubase only. What can we do to streamline the passing back and forth process. It seems Cubase doesnt do AAF transfers. (I think that is the case). I have the following add'l things at my disposal. Gobbler, Evernote premium, Box Professional accounts. But I dont see how they will help keep everything together. :?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need tips on how to work with a Cubase user

Post by Robert Randolph »

Your best bet is to transfer stems back an forth unfortunately.

Using OMF and/or a translator is pretty hit or miss. You may wish to try OMF and see if it works for your project though.

I frequently move between Cubase, DP and S1 both for workflow reasons and incoming projects, and stems really are the only reliable option that I've found.
labman

Post by labman »

Robert Randolph wrote:Your best bet is to transfer stems back an forth unfortunately.
Thank you Robert.

Thank you for the bad news. LOL

I need tempo maps, markers too, at the very very least.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't suppose the XML exchange of data would be useful. Does Cxxxxxxxx even do that? Oooops. Sorry. I instinctively blotted out the name of the software I hated the most. Well, after Master Tracks Pro... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

labman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Your best bet is to transfer stems back an forth unfortunately.
Thank you Robert.

Thank you for the bad news. LOL

I need tempo maps, markers too, at the very very least.
You can do that with clever use of a MIDI file in both projects but...

It is not fun. Cross-DAW tempo maps suck, even with AAF.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Robert Randolph wrote:
labman wrote:
Much better avatar, Robert. Those other ones reminded me of my old boss... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
labman wrote:
Much better avatar, Robert. Those other ones reminded me of my old boss... LOL
Thanks. I thought I'd go with one that looks like me in my natural state: confused and aloof.
labman

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Much better avatar, Robert. Those other ones reminded me of my old boss... LOL
still scares me a little though !
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah I went with the avatar that looks like me, too. :shock:

I've had good luck with exporting conductor tracks.

Make a time selection on conductor track.
Export Selection as MIDI File (under File menu). It will save the file as Conductor Clipping.mid.
Drag mid file to new project's TO.

Will this work with Cubase? I do not know.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
labman

Post by labman »

Phil O wrote: I've had good luck with exporting conductor tracks.

Make a time selection on conductor track.
Export Selection as MIDI File (under File menu). It will save the file as Conductor Clipping.mid.
Drag mid file to new project's TO.

Phil
Thank you Phil. Will try it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't suppose the XML exchange of data would be useful. Does Cxxxxxxxx even do that?
According to this, it supports import/export. Much of this info is old but DP makes the list on page 4.
http://www.musicxml.com/software/

This gives the limitations and properties of some version—no idea if it's the current one:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ing_c.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro