DP9 issues?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP9 issues?

Post by Chris T »

I've been running DP 8.07 family successfully (with some ongoing annoying quirks), and about to jump to DP9.

I run many plugs (NI, Spectrasonics, Waves, Altiverb, Soundtoys, Ohm Boys, etc etc). I also run VE Pro 5 on host and on 3 slave Max, but am going to upgrade to VEP6 now also.

Are there any known issues in DP 9 (latest vs) that I should be aware of? Especially with regards compatibility with other plugs / VIs ?...

thanks
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 issues?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would suggest you browse the forum. There are a lot of posts on the subject and not all users have the same experiences. In short, 9.02 is more reliable than 9.12 so make sure you are able to download both versions.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have to disagree that 9.02 is proven to be more stable than 9.12.

I've had absolutely no trouble with any version of DP9 running on any reccent version of OXS, and anecdotal evidence from this site is going to be predominately posts from people who are having trouble... very few log on to say, "Yeah, 9.12 is awesome and works great), except in response to a group of people claiming a "bug."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

All I know is I get many crashes in DP 9.12 and not in 9.02. It could be my system, but no other programs exhibit that, including Finale, which has been quite problematic in the past.

Frankly, I would love to have DP 9.12 be rock solid on my system. Hopefully DP X will be.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:All I know is I get many crashes in DP 9.12 and not in 9.02. It could be my system, but no other programs exhibit that, including Finale, which has been quite problematic in the past.

Frankly, I would love to have DP 9.12 be rock solid on my system. Hopefully DP X will be.
I have to agree. I think, though, it depends on your work flow and what MOTU plugins you use. For example, I have found Model12 to be particularly problematic in all versions of DP to date, but to a greater extent in 9.12 than 9.02. In 9.02 Model12 is kind of buggy and doesn't always work right. In 9.12 it just plain crashes.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Some plug-ins are buggy without pre-gen turned off. In DP 9.02 this is very easy to do.

In DP 9.12 you must put a plug-in on an Aux track or leave the GUI open to do so. If you don't do this, then some plug-ins behave very poorly. It's quite the hassle to deal with in 9.12 compared to 9.02.

There are some people that have issues with performance in 9.12, and some that experience improved performance.

MLC's advice to download 9.02 and 9.12 is probably your best bet. There's a chance that you won't cross in to the areas of 9.12 that can be problematic and you will be happy with 9.12... but if not then 9.02 is solid as a rock.

In my experience, 9.02 is more stable and performant currently. A nice experience compared to v8 (which was pretty ok)
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Thanks for all the advice folks. It seems like it would make send for me to work with 9.02 for now until MOTU come out with 9.13 (soon?). I run a ton of funk plugs and I'm sure there will be issue with whatever version I use. The trickiness of turning off Pregen mode in 9.12 is a concern though. Hence I'll stick with 9.02.
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I'm definitely holding off for 9.13. Looking forward to the improved pitch and time-stretching
algorithm that is supposed to be included. And I think some of the issues in 9.12 will be resolved in 9.13.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

David Polich wrote:I'm definitely holding off for 9.13. Looking forward to the improved pitch and time-stretching
algorithm that is supposed to be included.
Really? I know this was previewed at NAMM, but was it ever explicit that it would be in 9.13?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

For me, the several times I tried the 9.12 upgrade were disastrous. The changes to the pre-gen engine completely screwed up the ability to edit audio during playback. Audio drops out every time you do any little thing. I would try to BTD and get unbelievable amounts of garbage in the bounce. It generally made it feel like someone dumped sugar in DP's engine.
MIDI Life Crisis

amplidood wrote:For me, the several times I tried the 9.12 upgrade were disastrous. The changes to the pre-gen engine completely screwed up the ability to edit audio during playback. Audio drops out every time you do any little thing. I would try to BTD and get unbelievable amounts of garbage in the bounce. It generally made it feel like someone dumped sugar in DP's engine.
And there it is!

Clearly, the DP 9.12 problems are not isolated to a small number of individuals and amplidood clearly knows his way around a computer. 8) I can't begin to imagine the work that goes into making an app as complex as DP compatible with the numerous versions and changes to the Mac OS. I grateful to MOTU that they have kept not only the app fairly stable, but allow us to drop back to an earlier version if an update is problematic. This was particularly true with the DP 6 release and somewhat with DP 8. 9.02 has been quite stable and following the "last on; first off" rule of starting up my Track 16 has cleared up the occasional (but persistent) disconnect from the OS.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

DP 9.12 was unusable for me.

Too many issues to actually get day-to-day paying work done.

I had to go back to 9.02.

Mostly the pre-gen thing, but other issues also.

And lots of crashes.

This with a stripped-down Mac OS Sierra running just DP and VE Pro...nothing else.

No weird extra programs, utilities, rewires, helpers, whatever, and a minimum of plug-ins.

I really hope that 9.13, or 10, or whatever is imminent.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
SMS

Post by SMS »

I do get crashes in 9.12 that didn't happen in .01. Not a big issue for me, I always save constantly, and running on an SSD, reboots quickly. I usually welcome the break. : ).

Once, however, I lost my undo history which was puzzling, though I didn't really need it, it's always comforting to know it's there.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

In virtually ALL versions of DP I've had there has always been a strange, not easily reproducible "bug" and DP 9 is no exception.

As reported a few years ago and verified by several members, crashes in DP often happen at a mouse click. You might be clicking on an UNDO History selection, or changing the volume on a VI, or copy and pasting MIDI data, or any number of clicks, and DP crashes instantly. In DP 8 the crash report dialogue box wouldn't even show up.

And while it is is not a "bug" in the true sense, there is also the splash screen, which sometimes shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Not a big deal but when it doesn't you can't see what's loading in your plugs, Only an annoyance and you can launch by clicking on a project icon to launch DP and the splash screen will always appear. Still, that's a pretty big inconsistency that goes unexplained by MOTU, AFAIK.

So while your definition of "bug" may be different from mine, our common definition of "inconsistency" should be the same. I suppose some would label "repeatable inconsistencies" as "bugs" and then try to chase those down. I've got better things to do with my time and besides, that's MOTU's job.

We need not be in denial that DP has inconsistencies and I assume most of us have experienced these at one time or another. I wouldn't presume that a member reporting a problem is having that particular problem because their system is somehow "defective."

For my own part, I have narrowed a large number of these inconsistencies to plugs. For example, if you use the PSP Xenon plug in DP 9 as a VST it will crash every time. Use the AU version and your golden. I don't see this as a bug because I can use the AU version to get my work done easily. Still, there is clearly an incompatibility with the VST coded plug and DP's handling of that code.

Blame Apple. Blame MOTU. Blame PSP. But don't blame the messenger. Saying the end user is to blame for their own problems is just silly most of the time. If you have a lot of plugs and complex software talking to DP I have less sympathy for you. If your machine is full of illegally downloaded software I have no sympathy for you. You deserve to have your system hosed.

The biggest problems I've ever had with DP (with the exception of DP6) were caused by any product from Waves in my system. It's like I tried to install PC software on my Mac - that incompatible. Many said it wasn't Waves fault, yet some of those same users have dropped Waves from their system and largely for the same reasons I removed all their stuff.

Oh, and...

Or at least stay off my lawn.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Very interesting about Waves plugs. I've had the Gold bundle for years and have always had a lot of crashes and buggy stuff in all versions of DP. I might try taking Waves off my system for a while to see if things improve in DP...

I've been having a weird metronome problem since around DP7 - where the click doesn't sound straight away when in record mode. They only workaround is to disable/renable the click WHILE recording (So I start several bars early). Very annoying.

I tried asking MOTU about it but got nowhere. Has anybody else had this problem?...

thx