Roland Cloud software synths free trial

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Roland Cloud software synths free trial

Post by David Polich »

I just found out about the beta version of Roland Cloud 4.0 which is up now at the
Roland Cloud website - www.rolandcloud.com. Apparently it's been out since early
February but Roland didn't market its release.

Anyway, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial which grants you access to a full vault of
software synths from Roland. After the 30-day trial the subscription goes to $19.95 a month.
Yes, another subscription. But in this case I feel compelled to mention that I think it's worth it,
based on the number of instruments available, and their sound quality, which is quite spectacular.

I started with their Jupiter-8, which installs without issue and DP recognizes. When you first launch it you'll get an authorize window in the upper left corner of DP's window. Fill in the email address and password you used to sign up for the free trial and it is authorized.

The Jupiter-8 sounds awesome on the very first preset. Really like the hardware synth. In fact I
compared it to my Dave Smith Prophet-6, which is on a stand right next to me, and the quality of
the Jupiter-8's virtual analog oscillators and filter's is the best I've heard. Much much better than
the anemic, paper-y sounding Arturia Jupiter 8. Let's put it this way - I felt like I was really playing
the real deal.

There is a Juno-106 up on the Roland Cloud website, as well as software versions of all the Aira
plug-out synths, The System-8 synth, and some new offerings including a sampled acoustic piano. Plus recreations of the old Roland D-50, SH-101, and others.

I highly recommend trying out the free trial. It's addictive, and it sounds great. If you've been (Howard) Jones-ing for a great virtual Jupiter-8 to add to your collection of vintage software analog
synths, trust me your search is over.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
David Polich

Re: Roland Cloud software synths free trial

Post by David Polich »

Ok, so maybe a new synth subscription service is about as exciting as a new Paris Hilton CD for
most folks. Anyway, here's an update on RolandCloud instruments (I have now downloaded and tested all of them except the Anthology and Flavr series).

The Aira series (System-8, System 1) don't sound very good. If that's an indication of how the hardware versions sound, then I'm glad I didn't buy them. The oscillators sound like sampled waveforms instead of virtual analog generation. Can't recommend these.

The Legendary series all sound great with the exception of the ProMars and SH-2, to me. The Jupiter 8 is still the best of all of their software synths, miles ahead of the other Legendary series offerings. The Juno-106 is quite good and authentic if you liked that synth, I never did, so I have to recuse myself from discussion of its sound quality. The System-100 is surprisingly good and does sound "modular" which is what it is...bleeps and blurps and kinda circuit-bending. The SH-100 is spot on, and as that synth was the source of many famous arpeggiated bass lines for 80's hit songs, it's worth getting if you're doing 80's soundalikes.

The Tera series piano is simply an ok-to-average sampled piano, nothing spectacular. I think the samples come from what is in the RD pianos. It has a tendency to sound chorused even though there is no chorus effect engaged.

Jeremy Soule, who is representing Roland over on Facebook of all places, has answered many questions about RolandCloud, including upcoming offerings. Seems next up is a full-blown D-50 (not just samples, the whole engine, and it reads and exports SysEx), and a Juno 2 (or 1, not quite sure). If they add more classic Roland synths like the V-synth, JD-800, and the MKS-20 piano module than the $240 a year is really going to be worth it.

Oh, and memo to Mark Schmeider - the RolandCloud.com site is not really a cloud site, it's a standard-issue website where you can download their software synths.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Thank you for this write up David!

Do you feel like it would be worth the $20 a month currently, or only if they add what you mentioned?
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Robert Randolph wrote:Thank you for this write up David!

Do you feel like it would be worth the $20 a month currently, or only if they add what you mentioned?
I'll be ponying up the $20/month for a year to see if they add any more synths. And hopefully
they will offer the existing synths as optional purchases. The Jupiter-8 is something I really can't live without, I've been waiting forever for a great-sounding software version of it, and Arturia's don't fill that bill, so that's why I got it.

You always take chances with these subscription sites. So far I've been happy as a clam with Slate's subscription service. As long as RolandCloud keeps up with its promise to add more synths, I'm in.

Btw, you can't sign up for the subscription at $20/month yet. It's not available, the site is still
beta. They are obviously test-marketing it to see if enough people bite.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I'll bite!

Like you, I was none too pleased with the Arturia Jupiter 8. It definitely did not "send me". Some of these other offerings look promising, too!

Thanks for letting us know about this!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools