Superior Drummer Crash Cymbals Get Cut Short

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Superior Drummer Crash Cymbals Get Cut Short

Post by Babz »

I've seen this topic posted here before, so I'm hoping someone found a solution ...

In Superior Drummer, when you trigger the crash via mouse clicking the picture of the cymbal, it rings to its full length. But if you play the same note from a MIDI keyboard, the note gets cut off about halfway before the end of its natural decay.

I did some googling and I found someone talking about EZDrummer saying it has to do with Aftertouch, that Toontrack uses Aftertouch for cymbal chokes when playing on an electronic drum kit. They recommended disabling Aftertouch on your keyboard or filtering it with your DAW. I don't get the problem with EZD, only with Superior. Nonetheless, I did try disabling aftertouch on my keyboard. It made no difference. I examined the sequence in the event list, and found no aftertouch. Couldn't figure out how to display Aftertouch in the SE. I'm not sure how you filter it out in DP. I'm not even sure Aftertouch is the cause.

Anyone else have this issue? Can you reproduce it? You might not notice it unless you compare clicking with the mouse to triggering with a keyboard. The cymbal is not choked immediately, but if you compare it to how long it rings via mouse click, it is considerably shorter.

Any ideas?

Babz
Babz

Re: Superior Drummer Crash Cymbals Get Cut Short

Post by Babz »

Er, OK... Um...

So, I just tested again today, and now I can't reproduce the problem. But in the course of this project, which has been going on for a couple of weeks, I've had the issue on more than one occasion. It was happening last night. It's not happening today. :roll: :smash: I imagine it will return again. (Of course, I hope it doesn't :mrgreen: )

Anyway, I do seem to recall seeing the issue on this forum before, so please free free to still chime in.

Best,
Babz
rentadrummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rentadrummer »

Is there more than one key that triggers the same cymbal, and if so, do they all trigger the same articulation? I was wondering if one of them triggers the choke articulation, while another might not.
Ron
Babz

Post by Babz »

rentadrummer wrote:Is there more than one key that triggers the same cymbal, and if so, do they all trigger the same articulation? I was wondering if one of them triggers the choke articulation, while another might not.
Naw, just one key. No mute groups or anything.

At this point I'm thinking it could be like a low memory or voice stealing thing, maybe? Like maybe at some point it starts getting low on memory or resources from some reason? But that doesn't really make sense since it us just a single crash hit (not overlapping ringing notes like on a ride cymbal; in fact no ride cymbal at all used in this tune). Also, even if it was low memory/voice stealing, why (when things are in the same state of affairs) does the crash ring full length when triggered by the mouse, but not the keyboard? Plus, I've got 16GB of RAM and this track has only one other MIDI track playing currently...

So far, I've been working all day and it hasn't happened again. Strange thing is that I did nothing fix it. I simply shut down DP for the day and then relaunched it and opened the project the next day (didn't restart the computer or anything). :banghead: :smash: :?: :?: :?:

Babz
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buzzsmith »

This probably won't help but I believe after I installed 9.01 that Superior Drummer started acting a little flaky at times.

Like there seems to be a bit more latency from my keyboard controller to actually hearing the kit piece.

And, occasionally, a simple tom or snare fill won't play back exactly right on one pass but will on another.

At gig right now, but I'll experiment more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)