Looking for Bandpass/Notch filters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for Bandpass/Notch filters

Post by Prime Mover »

Every so often, in my sound-design exploits, I have need for a single-parameter bandpass plugin (not just a HP/LP combo), with resonance. Each time, I end up coming up empty handed and have to jury-rig a HP/LP combo, which is no fun if I need to automate the resonant point, to say the least! In my searches, it looks like there are a few Windows VST options, and a number of older 32bit options, neither of which work for me. I know Apple have the AUBandpass, but it's resonance is pretty marginal and doesn't have any parameters for shaping the slope.

I also could use a notch filter in my arsenal.

Any ideas?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Don T

Re: Looking for Bandpass/Notch filters

Post by Don T »

Hello
I'm confused, why not use DP's EQ? You can adjust the Q down to a very narrow notch.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

DP doesn't have a notch filter, also called a "band reject". A true notch filter isn't a bell curve, it's an infinite cut out of a certain frequency range. This is accomplished by duplicating the signal, giving one copy a HP filter above the cut, and then giving the other a LP filter below the cut. Usually they're fairly sever (4-Pole+), and very unnatural, making them not very useful for day-to-day mixing. But they're great for mix rescue and abstract sound sculpting operations.

The opposite is a "band pass", which is a narrow band with all other frequencies cut by using a HP and LP filter. Easy to replicate with an EQ if it doesn't need to move, but for more "effectsy" situations where you'd like to sweep it, it's a pain to not have a single frequency parameter.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Won't Apple's AU Bandpass do the job? It's part of the OS and accessible from the AU menu under Apple.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There is the MultiMode Filter in DP, it has a notch and a bandpass mode and resonance. Not sure how "hi-fi" it is, put the mix level up to 1.0 and it seems to do what you are asking for. Click on the tiny light to deactivate modulation. The "range" and resonance are the only controls you have over the shape of the slope, as far as I can tell.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Oooh! Good idea! I've used it before, but usually only as an autowah, so I really didn't think about using it in this context! Good non-linear problem solving! Still, it's be good to have more options and characters to choose from. Thing is, I do a lot of noise sculpting, making washes of different colored noise for my work, and I just need some new weapons to play with. AUBandpass, as I mentioned before, doesn't have much variation, without resonance, so it doesn't make for very interesting color.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

mike_o

Post by mike_o »

do you own NI komplete? if so look into reaktor, there is an endless supply of phenomenal filter options, I've got my own custom built filter module with over 40 different filter types and some very unique filter based fx options.

if you own reaktor or komplete (reaktor is a part of komplete) let me know and I'll send you my filter rack, it's this but standalone as just a filter module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GAZJ1 ... ENWxBOUUZy

you can also download the whole synth and load is an an fx insert and use the filters, but it's a major cpu hog that way, that's why I made a filters only version.

multiple different band bass types with adjustable width and resonance on some and a locked band width on others, a multi-band, band pass, a 2 pole and 4 pole standard band passes, only one band cut filter though.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I'm pretty sure Soundtoys' Filterfreak is pretty much what you're describing (and much more) but it's $149.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mike_o wrote:do you own NI komplete? if so look into reaktor, there is an endless supply of phenomenal filter options, I've got my own custom built filter module with over 40 different filter types and some very unique filter based fx options.

if you own reaktor or komplete (reaktor is a part of komplete) let me know and I'll send you my filter rack, it's this but standalone as just a filter module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GAZJ1 ... ENWxBOUUZy

you can also download the whole synth and load is an an fx insert and use the filters, but it's a major cpu hog that way, that's why I made a filters only version.

multiple different band bass types with adjustable width and resonance on some and a locked band width on others, a multi-band, band pass, a 2 pole and 4 pole standard band passes, only one band cut filter though.
That is a cool tutorial. I purchased Komplete 11 recently but have just begun to explore it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

if you're a serious synth guy then reaktor is a wonderland of possibilities, just browse the user library for an endless supply of options.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ya know, I find Reaktor's organizational scheme positively Byzantine. I just can't get my head around the "User" and "Factory" tabs, and more-often-then-not, when I save snapshots, they disappear the next time I load an ensemble. I've basically sworn off all Reaktor ensembles until I can have a good week to get all that stuff straight in my head. Add to that the fact that the presets aren't saved to the projects they reside in, and I find my blood-pressure rise every time I pull open a Reaktor instance. I will literally do ANYTHING to try and get out of using Reaktor. Maybe it's just me, but it confuses the hell out of me, and I've used some of the most complicated programs on the planet. I'll toil away joyously in Max/MSP for hours, or a 3D modeling program like Maya, but put Reaktor in front of me and I sweat bullets.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I just realized that "Dynamic EQ" with one of the bands solo'd, makes for a good bandpass. Waves C6 as well. I know that's not how they're intended, but it works!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

mike_o

Post by mike_o »

Prime Mover wrote:Ya know, I find Reaktor's organizational scheme positively Byzantine. I just can't get my head around the "User" and "Factory" tabs, and more-often-then-not, when I save snapshots, they disappear the next time I load an ensemble. I've basically sworn off all Reaktor ensembles until I can have a good week to get all that stuff straight in my head. Add to that the fact that the presets aren't saved to the projects they reside in, and I find my blood-pressure rise every time I pull open a Reaktor instance. I will literally do ANYTHING to try and get out of using Reaktor. Maybe it's just me, but it confuses the hell out of me, and I've used some of the most complicated programs on the planet. I'll toil away joyously in Max/MSP for hours, or a 3D modeling program like Maya, but put Reaktor in front of me and I sweat bullets.

do you know that you need to save the ensemble itself after saving a snapshot?

that's the thing that drives a lot of people mad.

as for not saving with the project automatically, you can always use automation snapshots in DP.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Prime Mover wrote:I just realized that "Dynamic EQ" with one of the bands solo'd, makes for a good bandpass. Waves C6 as well. I know that's not how they're intended, but it works!
That's a great idea. I thought about the older MW Compressor which lets you solo bands, but Dynamic EQ gets you a nice graphic to see the peak/notch.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com