Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by stubbsonic »

This isn't relevant to the OP, but I use an old Intellimouse with the Steermouse driver. With this combo, I can use the wheel to scroll, shift-wheel for horizontal scroll, and pressed wheel to zoom in and out. I use the left and right side buttons to page-left & page right.

I don't doubt that I could eventually get the hang of and appreciate the features offered by the magic trackpad 2. But I'd have to work out a transition plan-- and I would go kicking and screaming, I suppose.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

stubbsonic wrote: I don't doubt that I could eventually get the hang of and appreciate the features offered by the magic trackpad 2. But I'd have to work out a transition plan-- and I would go kicking and screaming, I suppose.
I have an incentive in place already- I have a Magic Trackpad 2, and I have the Magic Mouse 2 at the same time. I choose which one I want to use for whatever task. The Trackpad is very elegant and effective. The mouse is a painful, weird POS that has a mind of its own. I didn't know the trackpad had editing potential until MLC offered that tip. Could be that in lieu of getting a better mouse, I should learn all that the MT2 can do, especially for editing in DP, and other tedious work..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

UPDATE: Nix the LEAP MOTION thing. Impossibly hard to actual navigate. The cursor just sort of floats around but doesn't really function the way it is supposed to, IMO. I'll keep it overnight but tomorrow it goes back to Fry's.
stubbsonic wrote:This isn't relevant to the OP, but I use an old Intellimouse with the Steermouse driver. With this combo, I can use the wheel to scroll, shift-wheel for horizontal scroll, and pressed wheel to zoom in and out. I use the left and right side buttons to page-left & page right.

I don't doubt that I could eventually get the hang of and appreciate the features offered by the magic trackpad 2. But I'd have to work out a transition plan-- and I would go kicking and screaming, I suppose.
As did I. After many months now the thought of a movable item in that corner of my desk or having to grab the potato (so to speak) is abhorrent to me. True, it was a major transition. What helped me thru was Shooshie's comment that it has "changed my relationship to my computer." I used computers before they had mice, at least mice that were both well made, programmable, and who did love to have their balls cleaned. By the way those tiny grey balls are much harder than I expected, butt eye [sic - very sic] digress.

Gestures are the wave of the future, IMO, and mice don't do that. I'm going to try out a Leap Motion later today. I'm particularly interested in using it in Finale, but with Better Touch Tool I can see it being very useful, given the time to program it properly. That, in combination with trackpad and Keyboard Maestro will hopefully give me true ergonomic control of the screen, without having to wait for a touch screen. In fact, better than a touch screen (again, hopefully).

This guy takes a while to get thru his review, but it's the best one I've seen to show that it will work like a mouse. Actually, like an air mouse, but with even more programmable gestures than I could ever hope for in a mouse and I don't have to clean balls. Well, I do, butt that's another story...

Interesting time we live in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HZrqb4OTc
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SMS

Post by SMS »

For any of you using a mouse, can you, with just the mouse (using buttons, etc. on it) do command-click, shift-click, control-click, option-shift click, etc? I have an MX revolution, and I just can't get that to work reliably- I'd like to not have to do the modifier keys on the keyboard.

Thanks in advance for specific replies.

Spence
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Gestures are the wave of the future, IMO, and mice don't do that. I'm going to try out a Leap Motion later today. I'm particularly interested in using it in Finale, but with Better Touch Tool I can see it being very useful, given the time to program it properly.
I wonder though, for doing fine work? Seems like it might be kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiyIugH3xY

(poor Scotty)
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Gestures are the wave of the future, IMO, and mice don't do that. I'm going to try out a Leap Motion later today. I'm particularly interested in using it in Finale, but with Better Touch Tool I can see it being very useful, given the time to program it properly.
I wonder though, for doing fine work? Seems like it might be kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiyIugH3xY

(poor Scotty)
:rofl:

PERFECT! Yeah, that's why I'm happy to have a 30 day return policy... BTW, that guy (the one at the controls) was great in The Sting. So distinctive a voice and bone structure in his face, there's no doubt as to who he is, even though you can't see his face in the clip.

Thanks for that. Too freakin' funny!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For fine edits, put two fingers on the trackpad, hold one finger stationary and move the other.
This absolutely changes everything. I did not know this, and now I'm wondering what else I don't know about the Magic Trackpad 2.

I've got some work to do..
Is there a way to incrementally adjust active data fields in DP with the MT2 or he Kensington Expert Trackball? DP has loads of these fields throughout the app.

The one thing that keeps me using an old, basic Logitech scroll wheel mouse is that it's the only one I have that will let me scroll + and - in single digit increments. My other mouse adds + and - in increments of 10 when I scroll over an active data field (there's no pref for this in the CP). The Magic Mouse adds/subtracts random amounts (useless). ...but I love the gestures and inertia of the MM. If only someone could bring this all together, it'd be a great controller!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Nix the LEAP MOTION thing. Impossibly hard to actual navigate. The cursor just sort of floats around but doesn't really function the way it is supposed to, IMO. I'll keep it overnight but tomorrow it goes back to Fry's.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have a Leap Motion, and liked the concept of it, but it also took quite a bit of CPU-- fans started blazing every time I used it. And yea, not ready for this kind of work.

I expect at some point this type of control will be where things go, but we're not there yet.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I already accomplish the moral equivalent of throwing notes at a staff anyway, so I'm not too depressed that Leap Motion is not ready for us yet.

Someday -- likely sooner than we imagine, though -- I will merely think the notes into place and will be able to do away with awkward human-interfaces like mice and musical instruments.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

terrybritton wrote:...

Someday -- likely sooner than we imagine, though -- I will merely think the notes into place and will be able to do away with awkward human-interfaces like mice and musical instruments.

Terry
Speaking for the handicapped, sign me up when that happens!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If my mind was required to control something in realtime, I'm not sure what would control my mind. I'd think "D Eb F# G A C"-- then the blender would switch on, the garage door would open and the heat would go up to 83.

MIDI Life Crisis

terrybritton wrote:I already accomplish the moral equivalent of throwing notes at a staff anyway, so I'm not too depressed that Leap Motion is not ready for us yet.

Terry
It's called a pencil. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

I have a couple of reams of King Brand somewhere to go with your pencil! Oh, and I asked the MMA 20 years ago about that MIDI port on the back of the head. Anyone hear back from them?
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

frankf wrote:I have a couple of reams of King Brand somewhere to go with your pencil! Oh, and I asked the MMA 20 years ago about that MIDI port on the back of the head. Anyone hear back from them?
I have a hole in my head, but lack the proper connections.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS