Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:mumble:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Phil O wrote:So what you're saying is the real difference between the original and MM2 is pretty much the battery? 6/half-dozen eh?
That's my assessment. I thought the MM2 would be so much better than the old one, but it has the same unpredictable behavior on my machine. I have a reliable external Bluetooth connection, so that's not it. The battery is the only difference in my setup.. waste of money.

The update to the Magic Trackpad however, was significant. Since I started this thread, I've been using it more and more.. Like MLC said, it has a lighter touch than one would think.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote::mumble:
**sorry**
MIDI Life Crisis

HCMarkus wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote::mumble:
**sorry**
Don't be, just duck! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Killahurts wrote:...but it has the same unpredictable behavior on my machine...
What sorts of things are you seeing? Mine seems to work fine.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With the MM, does the cursor ever seem to move by itself?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:With the MM, does the cursor ever seem to move by itself?
Yes. I find it happens when I inadvertently allow fingers to drape on the top of the mouse. I would like to see a sensitivity adjustment available to the end user. Based on Apple feedback on MM1, doesn't;t seem likely... Found this on Apple Support:
Well guys Apple closed my issue a few days ago with this statement:
Engineering has determined that this is not to be fixed based on the following information: This was tuned for over two years upon release of Magic Mouse. It's not absolutely perfect but no further tuning has been fruitful. If you have questions regarding the resolution of this issue, please update your bug report with them. We are now closing this bug report.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:With the MM, does the cursor ever seem to move by itself?
I've never seen this. Mine works exactly as I would expect it to.

[knocking on wood]
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
dix

Post by dix »

dix wrote:
dix wrote:
Yes, the Kensington does support inertia.
Oh, nice! Though both'd be nice, I might set aside the incremental scroll thing if I could have inertia in DP.
I'm wondering if there are any other non-Apple (ambidextrous) mouses out there that support inertia. Anyone?
In case anyone's interested. I did find a non-Apple mouse that has inertia of sorts. The Logitech MX Anywhere 2's scroll wheel can be made to spin freely, which creates an inertia/momentum effect when you scroll. By pressing the wheel it toggles to an incremental mode. Not single-digit increments, like I wanted, but I guess I'll have to give up on that. It's way easier to control than the Magic Mouse's scroll. Also, you can scroll laterally by pushing the wheel left or right. I think this mouse will work well for me.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

dix wrote:In case anyone's interested. I did find a non-Apple mouse that has inertia of sorts. The Logitech MX Anywhere 2's scroll wheel can be made to spin freely, which creates an inertia/momentum effect when you scroll. By pressing the wheel it toggles to an incremental mode. Not single-digit increments, like I wanted, but I guess I'll have to give up on that. It's way easier to control than the Magic Mouse's scroll. Also, you can scroll laterally by pushing the wheel left or right. I think this mouse will work well for me.
Excellent! I'll take a look at that one, too!

Meanwhile, I did order a Kensington Wireless "Expert" trackball, and it is working well. It has a much larger ball, which takes some getting used to after using the smaller "Kensington Orbit® Trackball with Scroll Ring" I got first. Nice to be un-wired, though. (I'm using the Orbit® on the livingroom computer instead for now.)

Keep us posted how it goes with that one!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
dix

Post by dix »

Keep us posted how it goes with that one!
Following up. I really like the Logitech MX Anywhere 2 mouse. It feels nice in my hand and I think I prefer it's analog inertia scheme to Apple's - LMXA2 just goes and goes. Rather than pressing the wheel itself as a modifier, it has a dedicated button just below the wheel that's a bit more precise for things like option-dragging etc. Lateral scrolling, by pushing left or right on the wheel, doesn't have any inertia, but it can be set up to go as fast as you want. Also, whereas the side buttons aren't really setup for lefties, I've set one to a Shift modifier so that lateral scrolling does have inertia and that seems quite useful.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Back to the OP...

I am loving the Logitech MX Master wireless mouse.
It has multiple programmable buttons and two scroll wheels.
Fits my hand perfectly.

I'm not a trackpad guy, but the Magic Trackpad 2 looks very cool.
I have the Magic Trackpad 1 and never bonded with it.
I will check out the 2.
All is well
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The more I work with the Magic Trackpad 2, the more I love it. It took some time because I had come from a MT 1, which was a lot harder touch, and I carried that "training" over when I got the new one. It was MLC that mentioned the light touch of the 2, maybe in this thread.. and I started to rethink how I use it from the ground up. Thanks for that MLC!

I also took the time to learn everything I can about the commands, or gestures it uses, and I'm getting close to looking at software I might use to expand the capabilities. Again, being left-handed means that a track pad is going to be more usable with both hands than any mouse ever could be. When my right hand gets tired, my left can take over.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

+1 I haven't used a mouse in almost a year now and when I do so on other machines it feels like going back to OS 9... Thanks go to Shooshie. And where the heck is that guy, anyway?

Better Touch Tool works for me but I've yet to do any intense programming. Also use Better Snap Tool (different company), but mostly just to move windows quickly from screen to screen (3 monitors).

https://bettertouchtool.en.softonic.com/mac

https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/betters ... 5580?mt=12

Killahurts wrote:The more I work with the Magic Trackpad 2, the more I love it. It took some time because I had come from a MT 1, which was a lot harder touch, and I carried that "training" over when I got the new one. It was MLC that mentioned the light touch of the 2, maybe in this thread.. and I started to rethink how I use it from the ground up. Thanks for that MLC!

I also took the time to learn everything I can about the commands, or gestures it uses, and I'm getting close to looking at software I might use to expand the capabilities. Again, being left-handed means that a track pad is going to be more usable with both hands than any mouse ever could be. When my right hand gets tired, my left can take over.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
24i/o

Post by 24i/o »

Kingston large trackball, Ive used the wired ones since the 1990's and I have one of the new wireless ones on my MacBook Pro now. I even have a Battery Eliminator rigged on it so I never need batteries, just plug it in.