Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by Killahurts »

What do you guys use?

I've come close to throwing my Magic Mouse 2 on the wood floor of the studio several times this week alone. Time to replace that irritating squirrel with something that works and is ergonomic! I need to have it be wireless with a usb dongle. I have a Magic Trackpad that I love, but I can't use it for fine editing in DP, like edge/fade editing, pitch automation, plugin parameters.

Very important that it be ergonomic and won't worsen my hand condition. Essentially the opposite of the MM2, which is not designed for human hands, but for space aliens.

Touchscreens are cool alternatives.. but I need to look up at my screen, not down, so for now a great mouse will do!

Cheers!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I used a Logitech MX Revolution for years, but once I got the hang of the Magic trackpad 2 (thank you Shooshie) I disconnected the mouse for good. o/t I also use a Logitech solar powered keyboard and love it, but it's loosing the connection so I'm looking at a wired keyboard today. I'm just tired of not being able to type. It may be the OS, but wired keyboards always seem to work. The trackpad never seems to loose connectivity. The mouse did often as well. Probably the Logitech proprietary RF frequency, but I really don't need a wireless keyboard all that much.

The idea of using a mouse seems quaint to me now. As Shooshie said, what happened is that I have a new way of navigating my computer. Could use the magic bar thingy if I had a MBP. Maybe there's a keyboard with that now? Must check that out before I pull the trigger.

So the short answer is: Magic Trackpad 2. Version one sucked! Ver 2 is great. I'll never go back to... Image
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Magic Trackpad 1 plus a Logitech usb wired trackball that I've had forever—long discontinued and I don't use any of the proprietary drivers.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackma ... B00005NIMJ

I have a Magic Trackpad 2 on my "things to spend my refund on" list.

My wired keyboard is the Apple with the numeric keypad. I haven't found one that I like better. It used to be a lot more expensive.
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB110 ... us-english

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Keyboard-C ... B005DPF08E
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

[quote="MIDI Life Crisis"]I used a Logitech MX Revolution for years, but once I got the hang of the Magic trackpad 2 (thank you Shooshie) I disconnected the mouse for good. o/t I also use a Logitech solar powered keyboard and love it, but it's loosing the connection so I'm looking at a wired keyboard today. I'm just tired of not being able to type. It may be the OS, but wired keyboards always seem to work. The trackpad never seems to loose connectivity. The mouse did often as well. Probably the Logitech proprietary RF frequency, but I really don't need a wireless keyboard all that much.

The idea of using a mouse seems quaint to me now. As Shooshie said, what happened is that I have a new way of navigating my computer. Could use the magic bar thingy if I had a MBP. Maybe there's a keyboard with that now? Must check that out before I pull the trigger.

So the short answer is: Magic Trackpad 2. Version one sucked! Ver 2 is great. I'll never go back to...

OK see I have a Magic Trackpad 2.. what am I not understanding about precise editing with this thing? I go to an edge edit to make a small adjustment. I mash my finger down, and then roll it to the right or left? Or do I tap it to engage, do the edit, then tap it again to disengage? How about some heavy pitch automation? I tried it once with the trackpad, very frustrating.. There must be something about the MT2 that I just don't understand.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I used a Logitech MX Revolution for years, but once I got the hang of the Magic trackpad 2 (thank you Shooshie) I disconnected the mouse for good. o/t I also use a Logitech solar powered keyboard and love it, but it's loosing the connection so I'm looking at a wired keyboard today. I'm just tired of not being able to type. It may be the OS, but wired keyboards always seem to work. The trackpad never seems to loose connectivity. The mouse did often as well. Probably the Logitech proprietary RF frequency, but I really don't need a wireless keyboard all that much.

So the short answer is: Magic Trackpad 2. Version one sucked! Ver 2 is great. I'll never go back to...
OK see I have a Magic Trackpad 2.. what am I not understanding about precise editing with this thing? I go to an edge edit to make a small adjustment. I mash my finger down, and then roll it to the right or left? Or do I tap it to engage, do the edit, then tap it again to disengage? How about some heavy pitch automation? I tried it once with the trackpad, very frustrating.. There must be something about the MT2 that I just don't understand.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Killahurts wrote:
Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I used a Logitech MX Revolution for years, but once I got the hang of the Magic trackpad 2 (thank you Shooshie) I disconnected the mouse for good. o/t I also use a Logitech solar powered keyboard and love it, but it's loosing the connection so I'm looking at a wired keyboard today. I'm just tired of not being able to type. It may be the OS, but wired keyboards always seem to work. The trackpad never seems to loose connectivity. The mouse did often as well. Probably the Logitech proprietary RF frequency, but I really don't need a wireless keyboard all that much.

You should use the tap to drag feature. I think there may be a setting in system prefs for it.

You just lightly/quickly tap and then all future actions act as if you are dragging. Another light tap un-drags the cursor. No need to smush and roll.
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote:what am I not understanding about precise editing with this thing? I go to an edge edit to make a small adjustment. I mash my finger down, and then roll it to the right or left? Or do I tap it to engage, do the edit, then tap it again to disengage? How about some heavy pitch automation? I tried it once with the trackpad, very frustrating.. There must be something about the MT2 that I just don't understand.
For fine edits, put two fingers on the trackpad, hold one finger stationary and move the other. You can move stuff that way m(such as a folder in the Finder or a selected note or data in most programs). You don't really have to roll your finger. Think of having one finger be your anchor and the other as your moving cursor. You should be able to get fine edits that way. Much finer than rolling, depending on what resolution your zoomed into, which is, of course, critical for super-fine edits (zooming in, that is).

A light touch is definitely required on these devices. It's not really a mechanical switch like a mouse. Maybe think of it as "heat sensitive." It really responds to an extremely light touch. I did some pitch correction recently (for the first time, but in some dialogue to change inflections). If I pressed "too hard" I got some aux type of response to select the phrase, or something like that. Just a light touch and move you finger and you should be good. Also, if you think of it as an "oiled" surface, it may help in getting the feel of it. Just a light touch to see if it's "wet."

8)

Fine editing is a bit more tricky. Finger rolls can work, for sure, and I strongly suggest you look into some like Better Touch Tool where you can program a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, not all apps support the pressure feature. If DP did, for example, pressing harder would increase scroll speed and other feature enhancements. But it don't... such is life.

I should also add that when I'm working intensely in a program like Finale, I also depend heavily on Keyboard Maestro for some mouse stuff, including moving the cursor across to different places on my three monitors. This has saved a lot of time swiping on the trackpad, so when I do have to use it, I tend to more delicate and make less errors by clicking on something while swiping across several screens or selecting data.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Logitech Performance MX. I could never get used to track pads despite trying. My brain doesn't really get the whole gesture thing. I do many hours of editing every week so I've customized the MX functions for what I need. I tried a vertical mouse (don't recall the name) but the wheel clicked and you couldn't disengage it to be freewheeling like you can on the Logitech. I'm a freewheelin' kinda guy. Holding the shift key and spinning the wheel is my preferred method to quickly scroll horizontally which I have to do a lot in my work.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

I totally get that, Phil. I hated track pads and roller ball stuff. Having 14 or so programmable button really speeds things up. I've replaced those macros with Quickeys and later, Keyboard Maestro. The unexpected transition was necessitated by two aging MX Revolution mice and they are not being made now. I dislike the new incarnation in the Perf MX and the TP2 was the new TPad 2 on the block so I gave it a shot. A nice side effect is my wrist and hands aren't grabbing a potato(e) all day and remain in a more natural position. As a pianist I appreciate that.

Obviously it comes down to personal choice and there's no lack of choices to be made.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I totally get that, Phil. I hated track pads and roller ball stuff. Having 14 or so programmable button really speeds things up. I've replaced those macros with Quickeys and later, Keyboard Maestro. The unexpected transition was necessitated by two aging MX Revolution mice and they are not being made now. I dislike the new incarnation in the Perf MX and the TP2 was the new TPad 2 on the block so I gave it a shot. A nice side effect is my wrist and hands aren't grabbing a potato(e) all day and remain in a more natural position. As a pianist I appreciate that.

Obviously it comes down to personal choice and there's no lack of choices to be made.
I used Quickeys in the past. I really need to look into Keyboard Maestro. I do a lot of repetitive tasks. I tried using a Contour Shuttle Pro for my left hand- it would almost do what I wanted, but not quite. Maybe the combination would work. This is a good discussion. It's how we interact with DP and all the rest.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

If you do try KM, let me know. There are some quirky aspects that aren't clearly explained in the documentation and aren't even explained in their forum very well (by the developer). But they are responsive and do try to help. It's a decent program and is comparable to QKeys, but I prefer QK and if it ever gets updated I'd buy out again. The mouse... not so much...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For fine edits, put two fingers on the trackpad, hold one finger stationary and move the other.
This absolutely changes everything. I did not know this, and now I'm wondering what else I don't know about the Magic Trackpad 2.

I've got some work to do..
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For fine edits, put two fingers on the trackpad, hold one finger stationary and move the other.
This absolutely changes everything. I did not know this, and now I'm wondering what else I don't know about the Magic Trackpad 2.

I've got some work to do..
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+M ... own/51058/

Go to 03:50
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Following Jay Oliver's lead I picked up a Kensington trackball, and what he says about the ring being a great thing for DP is true! I use the wired $39 one (now $23), but they have a wireless version. The "Expert" one is my next purchase.

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/trackballs

Last edited by terrybritton on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
frankf

Post by frankf »

+1 on the wired Expert Mouse. I use the Steermouse driver with it.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB