Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I tried that mouse (or the version available when my Revolution mouse ran away...) and some of the buttons were NOT programmable, but hard wired for the Logitech purposes. I think it was the top button (middle one) but I'm not sure. That was a major reason I returned the mouse and moved to the Trackpad 2 as an experiment. Over two years later, I'm loving the TP2 and hate to touch a mouse. Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote:Thanks. It looks like the new MX Master 2S is recommended on the SteerMouse site.

The big difference I could see in the newer 2S model is longer battery life and higher resolution. I'm not sure if that difference is worth another $30. The battery life doesn't matter much. I'm mostly wondering if I'd notice the added resolution. I'm coming from an old Intellimouse. I just really want to scroll horizontally without a modifier key. And still have a few extra customizable buttons-- zoom in, zoom out, etc.
So far, I'm not noticing any resolution issues and, like you, am not particularly concerned about battery life as you can use the mouse while charging if necessary.

It is interesting that, although the MX does not demonstrate faux "inertia" like the MM, when freewheeling the scroll wheel's weight gives it real, physical inertia. Unlike Apple's pseudo inertia, it is quite controllable.

And, by the way, the MX Master battery IS user-replaceable. It's running about $13 at various sites. Logitech even shows you how to open the mouse and remove the battery (for recycling purposes) in enclosed documentation. Way easier than replacing a broken Yamaha Motif ES6 key, which I just did tonight. 90 screws to remove. Multiple electronic connectors to loosen from their mates' tenacious grip. Replace the key (luckily, a spare was on hand), then do it again in reverse.

The MX has like 6 screws.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, HCM, that's helpful info.

MLC, I'll do a little digging to find out more about what buttons are not programmable in this version.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As I'm looking at the various Logitech offerings, I'm noticing that they seem to be leaning toward fewer buttons now.

My current mouse has 4 buttons plus the wheel press-- and the wheel press is nice because I can use it to zoom in/out with DP.

I'm not sure which Logitech mice have wheel buttons.

It might not matter as much if SteerMouse can let me use one of the buttons as a modifier key. But I'd also rather not have to sacrifice a button (I like the wheel button idea more).

The G900 Chaos Spectrum has 11 programmable buttons, and is on the SteerMouse-Recommended list.

Here's what I'm hoping to put on the mouse:

Left click (of course)
Right click (contextual menu)
Option-Click (for naming)
Scroll horizontal & vertical (of course)
Zoom horizontal/vertical
Page Left/Right
Arrows up/down/left/right
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The G602 has six buttons by the thumb, and two extra buttons at the index finger. Seems like that could make a lot of the things happen. It's recommended on the Steer Mouse site, so hopefully it can be fully configured there. (I'd much rather use SteerMouse than the Logitech driver, if possible).

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MX Master has the scroll wheel button. I set it to "Option-Click" (Advanced Click function) which is handy for naming DP tracks. Doesn't work for option dragging (duplicating) soundbites, though.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The Intellimouse/SteerMouse combo allowed me to program press-roll-forward and press-roll-backward each with their own keystroke combination.

Each pulse of the pressed wheel would send a new keystroke (where pressing the wheel was itself not a button, but rather acted like an internal modifier so that a pressed wheel is like a second wheel. I don't think all mice work that way. But I wish they did. That's why I've stuck with this one.

Now I just need more buttons!

I suppose one way I could get the best of both worlds would be to have a Magic Trackpad 2 (when I finally update to El Capitan) and use footswitches for clicks which is my main grip about using a trackpad.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've ordered a Logitech G502 (corded with 11 programmable buttons). Reviews are good, it's in SteerMouse's recommended list. Will report back here after I've had some time with it.

In the meantime, just out of curiosity, I saw a gaming mouse that was describing "aim" and showed the mouse (from above) with a rotational dial overlaid on the graphic. Are there mice that let you track a rotation motion (e.g., rotating the front of the mouse CW and rear of the mouse CCW)? And could that be something that is used to do things like scroll or zoom or rotate a selection in a drawing program?

MIDI Life Crisis

I was spoiled by the 11 or so buttons on the MX Revolution. I still have a couple of them around here, and they work reasonably well, but the idea of pointing with what is essentially a potato still seems as archaic as a mouse with actual balls. So to speak...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's great that you and Shooshie and others have had a great experience with the Magic Trackpad 2, and that you've forever sworn off mice. I get it.

My negative in-store experience with the MT2 and Yosemite incompatibility not withstanding, I've always preferred my mouse to any trackpad or trackball. Yes, mice have their flaws, as do trackpads. But it comes down to the main sensation I get when I'm using my mouse with its settings dialed in. Like you, with the MT2, I don't think about it. It's just flowing.

I do occasionally have to lift and set down again, or when I bump into my standing desk crank with the mouse cord-- both annoying. But the trackpad has its flaws, too.

The Trackpad plus foot-switch combo continues to intrigue me. Unfortunately, the AirTurn, which looks good, is a little spendy for this level of experimentation. Perhaps the hacking of an old mouse as described earlier in this thread is a more affordable possibility. I have bunches of switches lying around.

stubbsonic

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse: G502 First Impressions

Post by stubbsonic »

I've only had the G502 for a couple days, and haven't had a long work session with it, but thought I'd share a few first impressions (as pros & cons).

Pros:
1. Button to switch wheel between notched and free rolling (free rolling is great!)
2. 11 programmable buttons!
3. Can switch between 3 profiles from the mouse when using the Logitech software
(if you're willing to sacrifice that button-- to get 10+10 more buttons)
4. Position of some buttons is good & useful.
5. Works with SteerMouse which allows you program "chording" which is combinations
(like middle-press roll forward and middle-press roll backward)
6. Cursor/sensor response is smooth & snappy. No issues.
7. Build quality is good.
8. Can tune the weight/balance with little metal bits. (doesn't mean much to me.)

Cons:
1. The position of the buttons isn't as comfortable or effective as I had hoped.
It is geared toward a palm grip and not claw or fingertip grip.
It requires me to pull the mouse further into my palm than I like to reach the thumb buttons,
AND, it requires me to bend my finger or thumb hard to reach other buttons--
or lift my hand up. It's pretty annoying. They could have made the buttons a little smaller
and kept them more in range that would work for other grips.
2. If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) I don't think I can keep the profiles function, AND use SteerMouse. (in other words, I either have the functionality of SteerMouse, or the multiple profile functionality of the logitech configuration, but I have to choose.
3. There is a surface tuning function in the Logitech software that failed every time I tried to use it.
4. Logitech software for Mac still refers to option key as "Alt" key.

This mouse is still a step up from my trusty old Intellimouse. But the positioning of the buttons is less than ideal. I'll adapt to it, and may grow to love it. As of now, I'll need to work out: a list of processes to put on the mouse, and then choose buttons that will be pretty intuitive to use.

dix

Post by dix »

Anyone try AudioSwift?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVr6c6N ... e=youtu.be

It's not fully compatible with DP, but this app lets you "use your trackpad as a control surface and MIDI controller in your DAW". I'm a happy mouse user and my test drives at the Apple Store have never impressed me enough to buy a Magic Trackpad 2, but this app, and all the ringing endorsements in this thread, have me reconsidering. Currently it only supports 3 of the 4 modes for non PT, Ableton and Logic DAWs, but still could be useful.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:
Rick Cornish wrote:I’ve been using the original trackpad with my MacPro for years. What difference (if any) would I notice if I got a Magic Trackpad?
Greater control. I noticed that immediately. I had no idea till the old one died and I replaced it.

I keep a trackball on my desk and used it for ultra-fine editing in DP with my MT 1. No longer. Now it’s only necessary when I boot into a Yosemite test drive I have as the MT 2 won’t work before El Cap.

My MT 1 was often useless when booting into the Repair Partition; the MT 2 always works. I like not having to change batteries — it dies, I plug in a lightening cable, I’m good again while it’s recharging.
Finally made the move. I only wish I had done this sooner. Once I turned off force touch (which was getting in the way of click-dragging), it instantly became second nature. Thanks for the recommendation.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dix

Post by dix »

Because of the stellar reviews here and elsewhere, I too went ahead and got a Magic Trackpad 2. So far the jury is still out. I'm still getting used to it.

Question 1: Is there a way to Option-click? If so I can't find it. Option-Clicking to enable fields and Option-Click dragging to zoom (without using the keyboard) are big parts of my workflow.

Thx
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

https://www.boastr.net

There are some other macro apps. Like this one.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS