Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Your favorite wireless mouse for editing in DP

Post by KenNickels »

Yes, that's the cool thing, multiple pointers, switches and whatnot can be all used at the same time to control the cursor.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm going to pursue this.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

KenNickels wrote:Whatever kind of mouse or pointer you use, there will eventually be repetitive stress concerns.
Not really, for me. The Trackpad 2 has eliminated those concerns. It has a lot to do with your chair, desk height, etc. I've had several hand surgeries for repetitive stress and have zero ill effects since using the TP2. Maybe a wee bit bigger would be nice, but like it just fine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
KenNickels wrote:Whatever kind of mouse or pointer you use, there will eventually be repetitive stress concerns.
Not really, for me. The Trackpad 2 has eliminated those concerns. It has a lot to do with your chair, desk height, etc. I've had several hand surgeries for repetitive stress and have zero ill effects since using the TP2. Maybe a wee bit bigger would be nice, but like it just fine.
I recall from earlier posts that you had this problem. I guess it stuck in my mind because it must have been terrible to go through. So, God speed!
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A couple more tricks to make the Magic Trackpad 2 the greatest thing you ever used:

1) Wrist rest. 100% of the time. I use one labeled "HandStands." I also use a long version for my keyboard. When they wear out, I buy new ones.

2) On the trackpad, any finger can be the "click," and any finger can be the "Drag." I usually click with the thumb, and I can use any finger to lightly drag, preserving my hand position and my wrist for long days.

3) Rock the finger for fine control. Rather than trying to drag short distances, just rock the click-finger around to move by a pixel or two.

4) Tap is click. Set that preference, and you don't have to click anything; just tap. That sets up all kinds of actions that go faster and easier. And the click is still there for those times when a tap just isn't enough.

5) When your straight lines go askew, don't bend your wrist to get it straight again. Slightly rotate the trackpad so its cross-section is the same as yours, and your lines will be straight again.

6) When the cat hops up on the desk while you're putting the last touches on a house-of-cards type operation, use the OFF switch. Then the cat can dance on the damned thing, and Daddy won't even have a cow. Or throw a fit. Same with the keyboard — Logitech K750 solar powered wireless full-size Mac-oriented keyboard. (white) Why Apple didn't think of an off switch sooner is strange and unacceptable. Glad it's there now, though.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

But cows can be beneficial!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:A couple more tricks to make the Magic Trackpad 2 the greatest thing you ever used:
6) When the cat hops up on the desk while you're putting the last touches on a house-of-cards type operation, use the OFF switch. Then the cat can dance on the damned thing, and Daddy won't even have a cow. Or throw a fit. Same with the keyboard — Logitech K750 solar powered wireless full-size Mac-oriented keyboard. (white) Why Apple didn't think of an off switch sooner is strange and unacceptable. Glad it's there now, though.

Shoosh
The new, wireless Apple Magic Keyboards also have an on/off switch.

with Numeric Keypad (Mac OS 10.12.4 or iOS 10.3 and later)
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ05 ... h?fnode=56

without Numeric Keypad (Mac OS 10.11 or iOS 9.1 and later)
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA2 ... h?fnode=56
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I’ve been using the original trackpad with my MacPro for years. What difference (if any) would I notice if I got a Magic Trackpad 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote:What difference (if any) would I notice if I got a Magic Trackpad 2?
I had the same question. Go back one page. Doesn't seem to make a big difference, at least not for DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote:I’ve been using the original trackpad with my MacPro for years. What difference (if any) would I notice if I got a Magic Trackpad?
Greater control. I noticed that immediately. I had no idea till the old one died and I replaced it.

I keep a trackball on my desk and used it for ultra-fine editing in DP with my MT 1. No longer. Now it’s only necessary when I boot into a Yosemite test drive I have as the MT 2 won’t work before El Cap.

My MT 1 was often useless when booting into the Repair Partition; the MT 2 always works. I like not having to change batteries — it dies, I plug in a lightening cable, I’m good again while it’s recharging.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:Greater control. I noticed that immediately. I had no idea till the old one died and I replaced it.

I keep a trackball on my desk and used it for ultra-fine editing in DP with my MT 1. No longer. Now it’s only necessary when I boot into a Yosemite test drive I have as the MT 2 won’t work before El Cap.

My MT 1 was often useless when booting into the Repair Partition; the MT 2 always works. I like not having to change batteries — it dies, I plug in a lightening cable, I’m good again while it’s recharging.
Thanks, Mike. I can see where my next spare $129 will be going.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waterstrum wrote:I am loving the Logitech MX Master wireless mouse. It has multiple programmable buttons and two scroll wheels. Fits my hand perfectly.
Just got one of these and, so far, it seems most excellent. The Magic Trackpad is fun but, rat that I am, I find mousing more sporting.

I have grown extremely tired of the MM2 sending my cursor flying of somewhere unintended, or issuing too many scrolling messages, resulting in less-than-optimal DP response. I got the MX Master because is has a side scroll wheel that, as hoped, allows well-controlled horizontal scrolling, a must-have for me in DP. Using the Logitech software is required to get the most from the mouse. So far, no issues there; the mouse is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

The additional buttons on this device may see some use, too. I set up the two small thumb buttons to zoom in and out horizontally, something I have been using my Shuttle Xpress for. We'll see which I end up using more.

I like the scroll wheel, with automatic clutch turning off scrolling clicks when you give the scroll wheel a spin, and a button to completely defeat the clicks if desired. This makes scrolling silent, which could be important while recording, no? Also make flying around websites a breeze.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1. I got the "stone" one. 13 dolls less dinero than the black one and it blends right in with my other Apple gear.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Does the config software let you set different button functions for different up-front apps? {Edit: I just read on the Amazon page that it does let you set app-specific functions.]

I wonder if that mouse would work with SteerMouse.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

MIDI Life Crisis

It should work with steer mouse. My mice always did, but there was an extra step for Logitech mice. The app walks you thru it (if it's even still needed).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks. It looks like the new MX Master 2S is recommended on the SteerMouse site.

The big difference I could see in the newer 2S model is longer battery life and higher resolution. I'm not sure if that difference is worth another $30. The battery life doesn't matter much. I'm mostly wondering if I'd notice the added resolution. I'm coming from an old Intellimouse. I just really want to scroll horizontally without a modifier key. And still have a few extra customizable buttons-- zoom in, zoom out, etc.