editing underlying takes with visible ones

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

editing underlying takes with visible ones

Post by philbrown »

Example: you've done 5 takes on these tracks, 3 takes on this one, 6 takes on these, etc. You're still tracking the song but you decide you want the bridge half as long. So you do your snip and edge-tweaking but you've only edited the visible takes and not the 'underlying ones'. Is there a way to include the unseen takes when doing this type of editing? The only way I can think of is to go through and expand all the takes into tracks, do the edits, and absorb the tracks back into takes. That can be pretty tedious if you've got a decent number of tracks with multiple takes. Is there an easier way that I'm missing?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: editing underlying takes with visible ones

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't use the comp tool at all, but I suspect if there's an answer to this, it is found there. Can you do multiple track cuts there? Then use memory save of your times in question if you can't remember them, and have at it. Again, I don't know that the comp tool can do that, but if it does, it'll be faster than expanding and collapsing back into takes.

Then again, if the comp tool does it, it probably doesn't do it to the sequence at large, so it's still another layer to the process unless there is a more elegant solution - that is, assuming my first theory is correct. I'd try it but I'm in a fairly complex score for real musicians and do all that work in Finale. I should be in another project later today and can play around with it then.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Phil, I'm not sure either.

What I've done in the past, in a scenario just like yours, was to create dummy tracks above the one that you wanna keep and move those underlying tracks to the non-play enabled dummy tracks for editing.

This is assuming that those underlying takes are contiguous. If not, it's a lot harder and, as noted, time consuming.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

buzzsmith wrote:
What I've done in the past, in a scenario just like yours, was to create dummy tracks above the one that you wanna keep and move those underlying tracks to the non-play enabled dummy tracks for editing.
Not sure what you're doing exactly there Buzz - it seems like that would be covered with 'Turn Takes Into Tracks' as was trying to describe in the OP.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't use the comp tool at all, but I suspect if there's an answer to this, it is found there. Can you do multiple track cuts there? Then use memory save of your times in question if you can't remember them, and have at it. Again, I don't know that the comp tool can do that, but if it does, it'll be faster than expanding and collapsing back into takes.

Then again, if the comp tool does it, it probably doesn't do it to the sequence at large, so it's still another layer to the process unless there is a more elegant solution - that is, assuming my first theory is correct. I'd try it but I'm in a fairly complex score for real musicians and do all that work in Finale. I should be in another project later today and can play around with it then.
The comp tool seems like not the right tool for the job, but I could be totally wrong about that. I have used the comp tool but I prefer old school comping (just speaking strictly comping).

It seems to me the
1 Turn Takes Into Tracks
2 do your linear edits
3 Absorb tracks to takes
Is still the simplest way I can figure out to do it.

We need something like an Option-Command Snip to do this in one swoop IMO.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For those who use comp tracks, it would seem invaluable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:
Not sure what you're doing exactly there Buzz - it seems like that would be covered with 'Turn Takes Into Tracks' as was trying to describe in the OP.
Phil, maybe I misunderstood.

Are you dealing with actual "Takes" as in Take 1, Take 2, etc. or are all of the soundbites in just one named Take like "Take 1"?

Buzzy

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

buzzsmith wrote:<<< actual "Takes" as in Take 1, Take 2 >>>
What's visible e.g. Take 5 edits as usual. Take 1-4 don't edit because they are not visible. I'm not sure how to explain it clearer than that.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:<<< actual "Takes" as in Take 1, Take 2 >>>
What's visible e.g. Take 5 edits as usual. Take 1-4 don't edit because they are not visible. I'm not sure how to explain it clearer than that.
Got it.

I thought that I had an answer for you using the Tracks overview but, when I went in to try it, same issue.

I selected 8 bars with all tracks highlighted and hit the Delete key. All of the soundbites were cut and opened up leaving 8 bars completely blank.

However, when I selected Take 2 on one of the tracks, the soundbites were still there!

I would have thought that a global Delete command would have deleted everything.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)