Blank tracks to clippings window [RESOLVED]

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Blank tracks to clippings window [RESOLVED]

Post by philbrown »

Say I want to take a whole drum kit worth of blank tracks with all I/O set up, plugs, auxes in place and make a clipping out of that to drag into another file. It seems like an obvious function for clippings but I can't figure out how to do it.

TIA, (also my dog's name)
Phil
Last edited by philbrown on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Blank tracks to clippings window

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You can save the INSERT SETTINGS from the mixer channel, for one, and call those up in any sequence/chunk. Otherwise yo might have to insert a bit of data to make the "blank" tracks into clippings. Maybe a cc#7 at 127, since that will usually be the default anyway.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Otherwise yo might have to insert a bit of data to make the "blank" tracks into clippings. Maybe a cc#7 at 127, since that will usually be the default anyway.
Thanks, MLC. This would be audio tracks.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Blank audio? Again, I think the best way is to add a little data and save the channel settings in the mixer dropdown. Is that not working?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Blank audio? Again, I think the best way is to add a little data and save the channel settings in the mixer dropdown. Is that not working?
I'll have to try it.

MIDI Life Crisis

Well what are you waiting for? :rofl:

j/k man, but it should work. Then there are always templates, which you can LOAD from. THere's many way to kill this squirrel.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well what are you waiting for? :rofl:

j/k man, but it should work. Then there are always templates, which you can LOAD from. THere's many way to kill this squirrel.

LOL I know but I'm tracking my lovely 12 string guitar at the moment.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Seriously - look a squirrel

MIDI Life Crisis

philbrown wrote:Seriously - look a squirrel
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You can save the INSERT SETTINGS from the mixer channel, for one, and call those up in any sequence/chunk.
Yeah, I do that all the time. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that's strictly one track at a time. Better than nothing but inconvenient for lots of plugs on multiple tracks.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Otherwise yo might have to insert a bit of data to make the "blank" tracks into clippings. Maybe a cc#7 at 127, since that will usually be the default anyway.
OK, I think I finally did things in the right order.
1. I created a DP Clipping window
2. Drum tracks were already grouped so I just time selected the first bar (from a whole song)
3. Edit menu > Copy to clipping window
4. Open destination file and drag clipping to left side of Tracks Overview or Sequence editor
5. Select the resulting measure of 'dummy data' and delete

Viola! I mean drum tracks! With all plugs in place! Yay!
The only thing that didn't come over was the track group but that's trivial compared with all the routing, formatting and ALL PLUGS AT ONCE!

Thanks very much MLC!
The 'bit of data in the track' was what I was missing before.

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Blank tracks to clippings window [RESOLVED]

I so want to take credit for all of MOTUs hard work. But alas, it's just a damn great program and company. Glad you got it working.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS