DP 9.12 Can't Find Audio Files from 7.24 Projects

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scottlawson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.12 Can't Find Audio Files from 7.24 Projects

Post by scottlawson »

Unicorns: Perhaps too naively, I upgraded my computer from a 2007 MacBook Pro to a 2015 27-inch iMac and from DP 7.24 to 9.12 and expected everything to run smoothly. Oddly, not so much. The particular problem with which I'm wrestling is that, when I pull up any of my 7.24 projects, 9.12 can't find the audio files. It provides me with a (partial, it seems) list of the audio files that can't be found, but finds none of the audio files. I know that the very knowledgeable and talented Mike Halloran experienced this back in 2012 when trying to open older projects within 7.24, so I don't feel alone. Does anyone have a solution to this dilemma? Thanks in advance for all your help, as always.
Gear: DP 9.12; iMac 27-inch late-2015 (17,1); 3.2 gHz duo core, 7200 RPM hard drive, 32 GB RAM, running OS X Sierra; Focusrite Clarett 8Pre interface; Glyph external drives (for audio)
Don T

Re: DP 9.12 Can't Find Audio Files from 7.24 Projects

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Forgive me if I state the obvious but......
If you look in the audio files folder inside of the project folder are all of the files present? If so could you not just point DP to the folder / files and they will re-link?
If not you could open the project in DP 7.24, do a save as with the "copy audio files" box checked so DP can gather all associated files from where ever they are and place them in a neatly organized folder.

Something like that anyway

I can't remember if AIFF files recognize properly in new OSX.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How did you move your files from one Mac to another? If you just copied them over, you might not have the privileges you need to use the files created on another Mac. That was my problem and, since I no longer had the G3 I created them on, it was a major PIA to fix.

It's also possible that you didn't copy over your raw audio. DP doesn't put your Audio into your project folders—it remains wherever you had it. The thing that saved me is that I always create a folder that I name Raw Audio and copy my files into that.

Using Migration Assistant to copy over your files prevents both of these issues. It doesn't matter if it's from your old Mac or Time Machine.

I'm in Nashville this week and check this between meetings. If you're still having problems, post what I might need to know and I'll probably have some tIme to look when I'm in the airport tomorrow.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think the reason you were seeing a partial list is because some audio files have multiple soundbites. For example, you record a track, and you do some edits, it keeps the original track, plus all the different sub-regions you make that are based on that original audio track. So the list was the audio file only, and when they are loaded, the rest of the soundbites would (hopefully) appear.

Please report back your progress.

There have been many people who have done the very upgrade things you have done without issues, so it is possible. Just make sure to be careful about saving, etc. You want to keep your original versions so that you can rebuild as necessary (even installing 7.24 on some other machine as needed).

Worst case, you can go back to original drive and get the files to someone to upconvert to v9.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
scottlawson

Post by scottlawson »

Thanks all of you. Good ideas. I'm currently 1,000 miles away from both computers, but I will try these things out when I get back to them. I've always put my projects on an external Glyph drive and assumed that DP would find the audio along with the projects when I pulled the projects up from the external drive. So I actually didn't migrate anything over from the old computer, figuring the projects resided exclusively on the external drive. Mike's comment makes me realize there may be files on the old computer that I'll need to bring over to the new computer. Unnecessary news flash: I'm not much of a computer guy. Thanks again.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

scottlawson wrote:Thanks all of you. Good ideas. I'm currently 1,000 miles away from both computers, but I will try these things out when I get back to them. I've always put my projects on an external Glyph drive and assumed that DP would find the audio along with the projects when I pulled the projects up from the external drive. So I actually didn't migrate anything over from the old computer, figuring the projects resided exclusively on the external drive. Mike's comment makes me realize there may be files on the old computer that I'll need to bring over to the new computer. Unnecessary news flash: I'm not much of a computer guy. Thanks again.
It could be as simple as you not having privileges to access the drive on your new Mac. This is easily fixed through Get Info. You will have to add your Admin account and grant read/write privileges to the drive..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
scottlawson

Post by scottlawson »

Thanks again to all of you. Don's suggestion did the trick. It turned out that some of my sequences had become divorced from their associated audio files. By doing a "save as," I was able to recreate the project folders that had somehow been torn asunder. A big relief. Thanks again.