MIDI problem using the wiper

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI problem using the wiper

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for testing all those, Bayswater.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've posted a tech link. I usually get a quick reply, but noticed when I was there a post I did when 9.5 was release that is still waiting for a reply.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I got a reply almost right away on my tech link. The answer is that while DP compensates for situations where note off and on messages happen at the same time by comparing the two times, it does not attempt to do this when playback is initiated with the wiper. I thought this odd because I was able to get the "wiper" effect to happen always with some VIs and never with others. But taking the tech at his word, we would have to assume this is something to do with the way the VI buffers MIDI messages.

I ended by asking whether we could expect this to be fixed some time in the future given that, even when the wiper is being used, DP is clearly paying attention to start and stop times (because it starts and stops notes at the correct time if there is a gap between notes).
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I had to remove 40 ticks with the "Change Duration" insert plugin before scrubbing started to work.

There are lots of "holes' in their explanations of things.

Also, DP USED to work correctly, now it doesn't.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:I had to remove 40 ticks with the "Change Duration" insert plugin before scrubbing started to work.
I always had success using the option in the Change Durations command to "move releases to the closest attack". That will remove different amounts of duration from each note as necessary.
EDIT: this command removes one tick from what you would have if the note releases were quantized.