How to make automation off by default?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to make automation off by default?

Post by Killahurts »

Hey everyone, I want to make automation for all tracks always default to off. No record enable, no play enable. I know there has to be a way to do this because DP used to, but I can't find it in prefs and there's no logical setting in the Automation Setup window that seems to work.

As it is now, I can create a "new" template that has them all turned off, and sometimes it will come up as a new document with them on anyway! In all cases, when I create a new track of any kind, it is automation record enabled by default. I want automation of all tracks to only be record or play enabled manually, per track, ever.

Thanks!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Re: How to make automation off by default?

Post by HCMarkus »

+1
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I wonder if I should have posted this in the troubleshooting forum? I just don't see a way to do it in DP. Yet, I can't imagine that there is no way, it's pretty fundamental.. and it is the way DP used to operate, up until 9.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'll look into this later today and see what my system does in this regard.

Are you creating your own template and then opening that one for each new project?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

davidh

Post by davidh »

Go to Setup/Automation Setup...
In the right hand pane, select a MIDI track in the topmost dropdown menu, uncheck "Enable Automation Playback" and "Enable Automation Recording", then click on the "Save as Default for MIDI tracks" button at the bottom of the right hand pane.
Then select an audio track in the topmost dropdown, and repeat the unchecking and click "Save as Default for Audio Tracks" button.

:D
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks David!
davidh

Post by davidh »

HCMarkus wrote:Thanks David!
No prob
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Awesome David, thank you so much! Seems to work for instrument tracks too.. excellent!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

buzzsmith wrote:I'll look into this later today and see what my system does in this regard.

Are you creating your own template and then opening that one for each new project?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, but it makes sense that the automation might turn itself on anyway, if the settings in Automation Setup are set to on by default..