V-Racks questions ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

V-Racks questions ?

Post by vudoo »

I have several sequences accessing the same V-Rack. Is it possible to change the parameters of the VIs within that V-Rack without having so create new ones each time ?

For example, i have a Kontakt instrument with a violin patch, my first cue (sequence 1) is using the close mic and my second cue (sequence 2) is using the room mic. How can i switch between cues without having to reload the samples or change V-Rack ?
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: V-Racks questions ?

Post by stubbsonic »

Ordinarily, the way to handle that kind of thing is via automation. So you put in some events into each sequence that set the VI's params the way you want so that you still can keep using the original VI's instruments.

If a particular parameter isn't available via automation, I wonder of Kontakt will let you run a second version of that instrument within the same Kontakt "instance", but using the same loaded samples. I suppose you could just put another instantiation of Kontakt in your V-Rack.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Unless I missed something, automation is not supported in V-Racks. If he can effect the required changes in the target VI via MIDI, then the OP can accomplish his goal. Absent that, I would just put that particular VI in the project chunk, not in the V-Rack.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I did mean to put the automation in the sequence chunk's tracks and not the V-Rack. So you could set different mix levels for various instruments within Kontakt from the sequence tracks, for example. If the VI permits any params to be controlled via MIDI (even if they are not published automatable params) - then that could be an easy work-around.

However, if one sequence changes the value of a particular parameter, then you would to set up the other sequences to change that setting back to the desired values for those sequences. (I guess that's kind of obvious).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

vudoo wrote:I have several sequences accessing the same V-Rack. Is it possible to change the parameters of the VIs within that V-Rack without having so create new ones each time ?

For example, i have a Kontakt instrument with a violin patch, my first cue (sequence 1) is using the close mic and my second cue (sequence 2) is using the room mic. How can i switch between cues without having to reload the samples or change V-Rack ?
I should have explained myself better, i already use MIDI automation but as you mentioned some parameters cannot be automated. I best way i found was to duplicate the instrument within the same Kontakt instance and change the parameters on the duplicated, this way the samples won't be loaded twice.

On a side note, I'm tempted to put my orchestral template (600-700 patches) in a V-Rack and stop using VEP pro/Slave altogether. How is DP when it comes to handling large VIs within a V-Rack ?
dix

Post by dix »

On a side note, I'm tempted to put my orchestral template (600-700 patches) in a V-Rack and stop using VEP pro/Slave altogether. How is DP when it comes to handling large VIs within a V-Rack ?
vudoo
Even if DP's prerendering was perfect, 600-700 instruments loaded at once on one computer would be a lot I'd think. I believe the YouTube video that demoed 9.1's pre-rendering scheme had around 200. For now I'm sticking with the VEP (on one computer) because some VIs just don't work well in 9.1.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

dix wrote:
vudoo
Even if DP's prerendering was perfect, 600-700 instruments loaded at once on one computer would be a lot I'd think. I believe the YouTube video that demoed 9.1's pre-rendering scheme had around 200. For now I'm sticking with the VEP (on one computer) because some VIs just don't work well in 9.1.
I tested my template on one Mac and to my surprise, it works fine as long as the VIs are hosted in VEP. I'm using a nMP 12 cores @ 2.7 Ghz, with 64 GB ram, VEP pro 6 and PT HD 12.

But you're right, if i host my VIs directly in my DAWs ( tested with DP9, PT12 and CB9) they all crap out at around 400 patches. Just crazy how much more efficient VEP pro is...
dix

Post by dix »

Wow! Impressive, but
...tested with DP9...
9 or 9.1? I'd think 9.1 would be better compared to PT in this regard.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
vudoo

Post by vudoo »

dix wrote:Wow! Impressive, but
...tested with DP9...
9 or 9.1? I'd think 9.1 would be better compared to PT in this regard.
I'm on 9.12, OS 10.12.2