Strip data but leave plug-ins?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strip data but leave plug-ins?

Post by philbrown »

Here's my example:
We tracked a song and I worked some on the drum mix but then we decided to re-track at a different tempo.
I want to:
1. Remove all soundbites, MIDI and automation from all tracks *including underlying takes*
2. Leave the (now blank) tracks in place
3. Leave all I/O settings in place
4. Leave all plugs in place

I tried 'Duplicate Track Layout' in the chunks mini-menu but it deletes all the plugs.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: Strip data but leave plug-ins?

Post by bayswater »

Duplicate Mix would keep the plugins. Replace Soundbites would do what it says. But you'd have to manually delete the automation.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:Duplicate Mix would keep the plugins. Replace Soundbites would do what it says. But you'd have to manually delete the automation.
Thanks. Took me a while to find these.
Duplicate Mix - didn't delete any data at all.
Replace Soundbites - doesn't seem to do anything. According to the manual that's to replace all instances of a SB with a different one.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Okay,I just tried this...

In the Sequence Editor, ONLY show the drum tracks.

Use Command-a to select all tracks.

While highlighted, press Delete.

All is gone, mixer is unaffected.

Hope that helps!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

buzzsmith wrote:Okay,I just tried this...
Hope that helps!
Buzzy
Thanks Buzz - that's what I'm already doing basically. Not sure what the significance is of 'ONLY show drum tracks' is but I did try exactly what you said (I think)– but that doesn't get rid of the underlying takes, which is the most time-consuming part of what I'm trying to do.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote:
Hope that helps!
Buzzy
Thanks Buzz - that's what I'm already doing basically. Not sure what the significance is of 'ONLY show drum tracks' is but I did try exactly what you said (I think)– but that doesn't get rid of the underlying takes, which is the most time-consuming part of what I'm trying to do.
Wow.

I just tried it again with a vocal track that also has soundbites "under" the primary vocal.

When highlighted (by selecting Command-a with this being the only track visible) and pressing delete, everything is deleted including the underlying snippets.

And the reason for only showing the drum tracks, in your case, is to only affect the tracks you wanna delete info from. If you also had a bass and a guitar, for instance, visible the Select All command would also affect those 2 tracks.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

buzzsmith wrote:
philbrown wrote:
Hope that helps!
Buzzy
Wow.

I just tried it again with a vocal track that also has soundbites "under" the primary vocal.

When highlighted (by selecting Command-a with this being the only track visible) and pressing delete, everything is deleted including the underlying snippets.

And the reason for only showing the drum tracks, in your case, is to only affect the tracks you wanna delete info from. If you also had a bass and a guitar, for instance, visible the Select All command would also affect those 2 tracks.

Buzzy
Thanks Buzz! Honestly I'm reading your post word for word and doing that and it's not deleting anything from underlying takes.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote: Thanks Buzz! Honestly I'm reading your post word for word and doing that and it's not deleting anything from underlying takes.
I'm quite sure!

Just to be clear...we're not talking about a Take 1, Take 2, etc. are we?
When you actually designate a Take 1 or 2, etc. for each drum track?

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Not separate takes as tracks but underlying takes.

csavetman

Post by csavetman »

you might try this.

Select all the tracks in track overview window. Temporary group them (double tap t key)
In the tracks group mini menu, check that the takes options are checked. (delete take, switch, rename take, etc)
In tracks overview, go to the takes column and select "delete all except (current take)"
Now all tracks should only have the 1 visible take.

Hit command A to select all
Hit Delete (deletes the remaining soundbites, automation)

You can rename the take in take column "1" and all the grouped tracks will change.

Carlos
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

csavetman wrote:you might try this.

Select all the tracks in track overview window. Temporary group them (double tap t key)
In the tracks group mini menu, check that the takes options are checked. (delete take, switch, rename take, etc)
In tracks overview, go to the takes column and select "delete all except (current take)"
Now all tracks should only have the 1 visible take.

Hit command A to select all
Hit Delete (deletes the remaining soundbites, automation)

You can rename the take in take column "1" and all the grouped tracks will change.

Carlos
Thank you very much, Carlos.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Oops. Late to the party!

Just to prove to you (and I) that I'm not imagining things here are 3 screenshots of how I do it.

1. Tracks showing soundbites underneath and random automation...

2. Tracks highlighted after selecting all...

3. After using the delete key...

Whatever works!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Buzz, I swear* I did exactly that and it didn't delete the underlying takes.

*98%

csavetman

Post by csavetman »

buzzsmith wrote:Oops. Late to the party!

Just to prove to you (and I) that I'm not imagining things here are 3 screenshots of how I do it.

1. Tracks showing soundbites underneath and random automation...

2. Tracks highlighted after selecting all...

3. After using the delete key...

Whatever works!

Buzzy

If I'm not mistaken, I think Phil is referring to additional takes as in the take dropdown menu. Highlighting the tracks as per your example, wouldn't delete takes 2 thru ...if there were any additional takes.
At least that's what I think he meant.

Carlos
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

csavetman wrote: If I'm not mistaken, I think Phil is referring to additional takes as in the take dropdown menu. Highlighting the tracks as per your example, wouldn't delete takes 2 thru ...if there were any additional takes.
At least that's what I think he meant.

Carlos
Exactly.