How to move several faders at once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

I used to know this, and now I can't remember. Nor can I find it in the manual.

How do you select multiple faders in the mixing board and move them together? Isn't there a keyboard shortcut to link them?

Thank you so much.

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to move several faders at once?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Temporary group.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thanks, MLC. I found the page. Now I need to figure out how to do it. Anyway, DP crashed. I guess I'll have to figure it out later.

Mike
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Another way is to shift-click the faders you want to move (they'll blink green and then you can move them at the same time).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Word of warning though. DP doesn't retain volume offsets if you group faders and move them up. (Relative offsets start to compress, till they max out together). Grouping and moving them down seems to work normally.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Get a Slate Raven... lol
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

csavetman wrote:Word of warning though. DP doesn't retain volume offsets if you group faders and move them up. (Relative offsets start to compress, till they max out together). Grouping and moving them down seems to work normally.
Eeeewwww! That doesn't sound good, but luckily my moves were small, and mostly in the down direction.

Thanks, everyone.

Mike
waxman

Post by waxman »

MOTU needs to get it together for a touch screen controller or align with Slate or ? Mac not having touch screen is probably holding them back. It's gonna happen sooner or later. Studio One and PT are already going for it. I rang the bell 14 months ago. Touch screens are now under $500... Come on MOTU jump in!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The DP mixing desk is in the dark ages. It just HAS to be addressed in the next major update. It's incredible to me how far behind it is from the rest of the application at this point. MOTU must face!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Don T

Post by Don T »

csavetman wrote:Word of warning though. DP doesn't retain volume offsets if you group faders and move them up. (Relative offsets start to compress, till they max out together). Grouping and moving them down seems to work normally.

I just checked this and the relative fader positions DO remain intact when <shift> clicking faders.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

I'm still using mackie control with my Mackie MCU pro and expander with 16 faders and a master fader and has been working great for multiple moves and automation and prefer the real faders much more than the touch screen interfaces .
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Don T wrote:

I just checked this and the relative fader positions DO remain intact when <shift> clicking faders.
That's interesting. Hasn't worked with my setup for as long as I can remember. Currently on DP 9.12
Mac OS 10.10.5, but this has been an ongoing issue for me with earlier DP versions and operating systems.

Just to be clear, when I group faders, and move them UP from their initial grouped level, they begin to gradually lose their value offsets, until eventually, they all top out together. So if I have, for example, 3dB offsets across multiple channels, and group the faders, as I increase the level of 1 fader, the 3 dB offset, will begin to diminish, becoming smaller and smaller.

Doesn't seem to happen when grouping faders and going DOWN from their initial grouped levels.

I know about Trim function, but I'm speaking about channels that do not have volume automation values written yet.

Carlos
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

csavetman wrote:
Don T wrote:

That's interesting. Hasn't worked with my setup for as long as I can remember. Currently on DP 9.12
Mac OS 10.10.5, but this has been an ongoing issue for me with earlier DP versions and operating systems.

Just to be clear, when I group faders, and move them UP from their initial grouped level, they begin to gradually lose their value offsets, until eventually, they all top out together. So if I have, for example, 3dB offsets across multiple channels, and group the faders, as I increase the level of 1 fader, the 3 dB offset, will begin to diminish, becoming smaller and smaller.

Doesn't seem to happen when grouping faders and going DOWN from their initial grouped levels.

I know about Trim function, but I'm speaking about channels that do not have volume automation values written yet.

Carlos
Interesting ... I never realised this was how fader grouping worked in DP. I have the same behaviour as Carlos here in 9.02 and 9.12. Faders compress above the initial position but maintain their relationship below .... I can't think why it should be like this
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Don T

Post by Don T »

csavetman wrote:
Don T wrote:

Carlos
Hello,
Don't forget we are talking about logarithmic functions so the visual distance will change but the value relationship remains until the fader is all the way to the top (it's not like the fader will magically go past it's limits). When you pull the fader back down to it's original position you will see that the positions are back where they started. Relationship maintained.

Don T
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Don T wrote: Hello,
Don't forget we are talking about logarithmic functions so the visual distance will change but the value relationship remains until the fader is all the way to the top (it's not like the fader will magically go past it's limits). When you pull the fader back down to it's original position you will see that the positions are back where they started. Relationship maintained.

Don T
Hi Don-

Yes, I'm aware of the logarithmic nature of fader resolution. However, I'm not talking about the "visual" distance between faders changing, I'm referring to the actual value relationships being altered.
The way I would expect grouped faders to work would be similar to routing faders to an aux track or master fader and changing the level of that fader.
Whatever level relationships you have established on the individual faders is maintained, simply louder of softer.
With grouped faders, if I have multiple channels grouped with, as an example 3 dB offsets between them, as soon as I INCREASE the level from the starting group position, the value offset
decreases. I can confirm this by looking at the level readouts for the channels.
You are correct, in that if I bring the faders back to their starting position ( the level they were at when initially grouped, they return to their offsets.
I'm simply stating that it doesn't maintain that offset when the fader is increased from that point.
It would be like assigning multiple channels to an aux or master fader, and as you increase that fader, your individual channel blend changes.

Strange behavior.

Carlos