How to move several faders at once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: How to move several faders at once?

Post by terrybritton »

Carlos, if they had maintained integer-based relationships, the audio mix relationship would not be constant. It has to follow a logarithmic distance relationship for the audio mix to remain constant. So, turning the one slider up should make the numeric distances between them decrease while raising the others. At least that is how I've always understood it.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Don T
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Don T »

Hello,
AND of course, When any fader reaches the top of it's travel it can't get any louder so from that point yes indeed the musical relationships will have to change ending with all faders at the top. Also your ears are fooling you as indicated by the Fletcher-Munson curve so that may be causing the perceptual difference as it gets louder.

ON EDIT:
OK, now I see what he is talking about.
1. Set 2 faders, 1 at 0 db the other at -4db. Link them and reduce level 10db. The db readout now shows -10db & -14db respectively. If you move them back up 10db the read-outs again show 0db & -4db.
2. Do the same thing again only this time release the link between the faders. Re-establish the link (-10db & -14db) and push the fader back up to zero. The read-outs now show 0db & -1.01db.
SO the db read-outs show the relationship is compressed any time the fader is moving up yet maintains the difference when moving down. I do not remember this happening on earlier versions. I will check 7.12 which I have on this computer.

DP8.07 acts the same as 9.12
DP7.24 does the same thing.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

terrybritton wrote:Carlos, if they had maintained integer-based relationships, the audio mix relationship would not be constant. It has to follow a logarithmic distance relationship for the audio mix to remain constant. So, turning the one slider up should make the numeric distances between them decrease while raising the others. At least that is how I've always understood it.

Terry
If that's the case, why would it retain proper numerical offsets when moving DOWN from an initial group level, but not up from the same starting point?

Carlos
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Don T wrote:
ON EDIT:
OK, now I see what he is talking about.
1. Set 2 faders, 1 at 0 db the other at -4db. Link them and reduce level 10db. The db readout now shows -10db & -14db respectively. If you move them back up 10db the read-outs again show 0db & -4db.
2. Do the same thing again only this time release the link between the faders. Re-establish the link (-10db & -14db) and push the fader back up to zero. The read-outs now show 0db & -1.01db.
SO the db read-outs show the relationship is compressed any time the fader is moving up yet maintains the difference when moving down. I do not remember this happening on earlier versions. I will check 7.12 which I have on this computer.

DP8.07 acts the same as 9.12
DP7.24 does the same thing.
Exactly.

Carlos
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I recall this discussion from long ago, but forgot the details - it has to do with when the link is established to maintain a perceptual consistency is all I recall.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fade_(aud ... ring)#Fade for more on the perceptual approaches to fades.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools